No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: IBF: We Will Not Approve Mayweather vs. Alexander

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RlCKY View Post
    An IBF champion must defend his belt within 9 month of winning it. In Alexander's case he won it in October, so he has until July to have a bout agreement in place for a mandatory defense....

Any unification bout will take priority to a mandatory defense.

Now that is if it is approved by the championship committee first. Which there shouldn't be any reason why it should be declined since Alexander is clearly in line with the championship rules laid out by the IBF. So long as some sort of agreement is made for the winner of Mayweather/Alexander to either fight Brook or vacate, they should be able to unify.

http://assets.ibf-usba-boxing.com/Fi...Amendments.pdf

read pages 7-9
    Hey. Its not as simple as this however. Once the IBF have designated a fight a mandatory, they cannot then change it and give exemption - this has to be done before a mandatory bout is ordered. The bout between Brook/Alexander was postponed, not cancelled and therefore the IBF are still expecting a mandatory fight for the belt.

Also, the IBF and the WBC do not have great relations most of the time. The WBC flat out refuse to unify belts in a lot of cases, though when it comes to the WBA/WBC, the money helps sway the decision. If the IBF did give exemption, for whatever reason, it's not solely the IBF's decision to unify or not - the WBC unfortunately have to negotiate sanctioning fees. Sometimes you find the WBC refuse to unify, and so require the IBF belt to be vacated, or the WBC belt simply gets stripped - something I don't see Mayweather doing.

I've always been a great advocate for the IBF. Since the new administrations replaced the terrible ones which were placed under federal observation, they are usually pretty sturdy with their rules, though the unification situations are always tricky, and sometimes some dodgy things do get done - most recently, Peterson and his belt. They are the only sanctioning body who do not have 20 different belts per division, nor interim belts - they simply have one champion, the way it should be. I honestly think the IBF don't get enough credit sometimes, they are the best out of the 4 by a country mile. Its just the way politics happens to be in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxerDood View Post
      Don't worry guys. Floyd hasn't bribed them or Team Brook yet. This will be a unification.
      LOL, so true, it hasn't happened yet

Comment

no word on whfromibf made this statement & what their authority is..hopefully this person is minor w/no authority...a good fight 4 the fans who, if it doesn't go off, are the losers...

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post

I've always been a great advocate for the IBF. Since the new administrations replaced the terrible ones which were placed under federal observation, they are usually pretty sturdy with their rules, though the unification situations are always tricky, and sometimes some dodgy things do get done - most recently, Peterson and his belt. They are the only sanctioning body who do not have 20 different belts per division, nor interim belts - they simply have one champion, the way it should be. I honestly think the IBF don't get enough credit sometimes, they are the best out of the 4 by a country mile. Its just the way politics happens to be in boxing.
          ^^^^This ^^^

Comment

I don't see why they trippin its not like Mayweather is a bad substitution. I don't think Alexander was looking for an easy defense when he decided to fight Mayweather. The IBF is standing in the way of his career with this one. Belts come and go but the opprotunity to dethrone the #1 P4P only comes around once.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ223 View Post
              Speaking for myself..... I'm happy Brook will get his chance if Alexander is Mays next opponent

Brook-Zaveck for the IBF strap.?.?.? Bring it on
              Zaveck is almost signed on to fight Thurman

Comment

if Devon fought Mayweather he'd be stripped, so there'd be no 'unification'. without the Mayweather fight, he has to fight Kell or be stripped just the same.

and Devon isn't getting a Mayweather fight. the only way he can escape from Kell is by dropping his title with a whimper and looking for other fights.

Comment

Really, who gives a **** about the IBF belt?

Floyd: "Belts do nothing but collect dust".

Floyd doesn't care about the belts.

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
                    No problem, Devon will relinquish the title and fight for Floyd's WBC title. End of story.
                    My exact thoughts...the IBF can take their belt & shove it! If this fight was offered to Alexander you know he will vacate the IBF belt for a much larger paycheck fighting mayweather

Comment

Originally posted by wazaa. View Post
                      Really, who gives a **** about the IBF belt?

Floyd: "Belts do nothing but collect dust".

Floyd doesn't care about the belts.
                      agreed. another suspect feature of his statement. Devon isn't getting this fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X