Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your prediction prior to the first Holyfield tyson match?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was your prediction prior to the first Holyfield tyson match?

I wrongly though mike would win even though I knew his defence was not a at the same level as pre spinks fight. I thought he simply would overpower evander.
    How wrong I was.

I believe my prediction was Tyson TKO 4. I thought he'd land some brutal body shots and Holyfield would look worn the way he did in Bowe 3. The ref would then be forced to stop it.

Sometimes I actually dream about their fights still to this day with all different results. One I recall Evander winning a tight decision with a lot of back and forth. The other I kinda remember it ending with a two-punch brutal combo from Tyson in the sixth. He grazes Holy with a left uppercut but then comes back with a feriocious right that lands flush and knocks Evander through the ropes instantly ending the fight. But, he did him into that position by going hard to the body and using more combos previously. There was fouling but Mike didn't let it get out of hand with the big bites & all.

I thought that was so amazing because the dreams felt so real and it was like having alternate versions of Tyson-Holyfield I & II. And I didn't even have to shell out for a PPV!!

Comment

I thought Tyson would stop him. I remember telling my brother that Tyson after prison better stay away from Lewis, Bowe and Holyfield but Holyfield had been ko'd by Bowe(2 fights before) and retired with a heart problem(before a miracle cure). I thought Holyfield was being fed to Tyson by Don King. Holyfield suprised me. After the fight my brother gave me a call to admit I was right, but admittedly before the fight I didn't think Holyfield would win.

Comment

I thought Evander would be very competitive but get KO'd late. It had been a long time since Buster Douglas, but not so long since Bowe III.

Comment

I remember me and my cousin discussing how Tyson was going to be back and Holyfield was on the way out... Oops.

Comment

Everyone except Ron Borges and Holyfield's team thought that Tyson was going to destroy him!

Holyfield still had the heart complaint hanging over him (if only in our minds!), he'd been stopped by Bowe the previous year and in his previous fight had looked terrible against blown up cruiserweight Bobby Czyz.

Whereas Tyson had looked pretty damn good again against Bruno and Seldon! People had started to believe the unbeatable aura was back. The odds were quoted at 33:1.....and just like 22 years previously with Ali (against Foreman) people were whispering that Tyson might kill Holyfield.

In hindsight, we should have had the wit to realise that Tyson's comeback was barely worth 8 rounds and that Bruno and Seldon did not have the punch resistance of even a battle worn Holyfield.

Holyfield's tactics were perfect; Tyson did look pretty good for 5 rounds. But Holyfield's holding was forever breaking Tyson's rhythm, not to mention leaning on, several headbutts and opening a cut. Once the storm had blown itself out the fight was there to be won for Holyfield.

It was a huge upset at the time, beaten only by Buster Douglas vs Tyson.

Strangely Tyson was still made the favorite to win the return.

Comment

like every honest person here I'll admit i thought tyson would beat him up and stop him. After holyfield's showing in bowe 3 i don't see how anybody could have thought different.

Comment

Deep down, I thought Tyson would probably win... but I was literally praying that Holyfield would beat Mike to a pulp.

Comment

I didn't expect Holyfield to see the final bell.

Him winning was something I couldn't even fathom.

In boxing, you simply just don't learn. No matter how many times the Boxing God's remind you ANYTHING is possible, you still refuse to believe it in certain situations.

I went through the exact same situation with Foreman-Ali.

Comment

Will he handle returned pressure or not! Will he handle getting punched back with ill intentions? These were the questions that the people who knew what he was all about had ever since he got by the trial horses he faced early as a pro! I wanted him to succeed and might have if he stayed with the techniques he was taught but he didn't and resorted into big mistakes that someone like Evander would capitilize on! ........and he did!! Fans thought he was a machine that couldn't break but the people who saw him as a kid and watched and trained and helped knew there was answers to questions coming! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                    X