Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing book that deals with the corruption within the sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i just finished reading Rope Burns, a thoroughly enjoyable and well-informed work of fiction. it mentions some of the perhaps traditional dirty tactics employed by fighters and trainers and whatnot

Comment

Jacobs Beach is great,an excellent book!

Comment

Boxing Confidential: Power, Corruption and the Richest Prize in Sport

by Jim Brady

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00 · rating details · 4 ratings · 2 reviews

In the hardest-hitting expose of boxing ever written, campaigning journalist Jim Brady lays bare the corrupt history of the 'Noble Art'. From its murky beginnings to the multi-billions business of today. Delving into extensive FBI files and police documents, he reveals how the mafia took over the sport in the US and how for decades world titles were effectively controlled by one man: Frank Carbo, the sinister 'Mister Gray'.Here is the story of the monopolistic International Boxing Club, known as 'the Octopus', and how it was succeeded by the worldwide governing bodies labelled the Alphbet Boys, who many contend have ruined the fight game. Here also are revelations of fixed fights, bent ratings, rip-offs and kick-backs, a full account of the undercover investigation into the corrupt International Boxing Federation, the machinations of Don King, Bob Arum and Jose Sulaiman, and the incredible saga of Harold Smith, the man who tried to buy the sport. 'Boxing Confidential' is the book no true fight fan should be without.

Comment

Thanks Mickey. I SO want to buy that. I'll try and add it to my Amazon wish list this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            Thanks Mickey. I SO want to buy that. I'll try and add it to my Amazon wish list this weekend.
            You're welcome mate... I've referred to it many times in discussions on here, and it's never let me down.

Real eye opener

Comment

Working...
            X