No announcement yet.

Best of the 3 main styles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pacquiaoifyable View Post
    Swarmer and Slugger are too similar IMO. Defensive fighter would've made this question better.
    No way. Sluggers like mid-range where they can load up on to throw the most powerful shots. Swarmers fight at closer quarters and look to wear down the opponent.

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
    He's a boxer-puncher in my book, but he could definitely slug with the best of them. Head to head I think he beats Foreman 75% of the time.

Not really. A swarmer is a pressure fighter and a volume puncher. A typical slugger applies less forward pressure and throws fewer, but harder, punches.

There really are very few fighters who are exclusively one style or sub-style. Most guys have traits of everything. Frazier, in a book he wrote, described himself as a hybrid of a volume puncher and slugger. Henry Armstrong had the ability to drop you with one big punch. Wilfredo Gomez could be a defensive wizard at times.
    It's surprising that he saw himself that way. Frazier to me is the archetype for a swarmer.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post

It's surprising that he saw himself that way. Frazier to me is the archetype for a swarmer.
      Agreed. I guess his logic was that he could destroy anyone with one well-placed left hook, but his style was definitely pinning his forehead to your chest, wreaking havoc on the body, and working his way up to setting up the hooks to the head. He also had a right hand that was no cupcake.

Comment

Boxer - Jack Johnson

Swarmer - Rocky Marciano

Slugger - George Foreman

Comment

Lightweight

Boxer- Benny Leonard / Sweet Pea / Joe Gans, cannot make my mind up and could probably add 3 or so names too make it worse.
          Swarmer - Henry Armstrong
          Slugger - Want too say Beau Jack but I feel I'm missing someone.

Comment

Who are considered good swarmers/volume punchers? I usually like watching those guys too. Those guys and sluggers/big punchers. Any recent examples? Only one I've seen was Paul Williams, guy threw about 100 punches a round. Who else did that in boxing before though, because I might want to watch some of those guys?

Comment

Originally posted by likeamulekick View Post
              Best heavyweight boxer, swarmer and slugger

Boxer: Muhamad Ali
              Swarmer: Mike Tyson
              Slugger: George foreman

cant see it any other way
              Boxer: Muhamad Ali
              Swarmer: Joe Frazier
              Slugger: George foreman

Comment

P4P:

Boxer: Robinson, with Gans and Charles close behind
                Swarmer: Armstrong, with Greb close behind
                Slugger: Wilfredo Gomez

Bantamweight:

Boxer: Jofre
                Swarmer: Harada
                Slugger: Gomez

IMO, Bazooka is the GOAT slugger. Any thoughts?

Comment

LOL Wut?

Boxer: Joe Louis.

Swarmer: Joe Frazier

Slugger: George Foreman
                  What's so funny? The punch output of everybody that's fought Hopkins. I call it defensive swarming. He was a great boxer with speed in his prime but 40+ is a defensive swarmer that swarms you on the inside picks his shots while your punch output is an all time worst.

Comment

P4P:

Boxer: Robinson, with Gans and Charles close behind
                    Swarmer: Armstrong, with Greb close behind
                    Slugger: Wilfredo Gomez

Bantamweight:

Boxer: Jofre
                    Swarmer: Harada
                    Slugger: Gomez

IMO, Bazooka is the GOAT slugger. Any thoughts?
                    bazooka might indeed be the greatest slugger. It is a good call

I disagree on Robinson being a better boxer than Charles or Gans though. Robinson was a better fighter, but that is because of his combination of iron chin and "RJesque" blend of power and speed. As a boxer, he is slightly less complete than Charles IMO, as he never had to work certain sides of his game (eg: he probably never met anyone in the same league speedwise) as much as others did. Likewise, I consider RJ a better fighter than Hop or Toney, but as a boxer, he is inferior to both (clearly this is a more extreme example, because of Jones complete unorthodoxy.

Comment

In terms of heavyweights:

Best Boxer: Ali, I can't even begin to think of an argument for Louis, Lewis, Holmes etc

Best Swarmer: Joe Frazier

Best Slugger: Foreman, Liston (to a certain extent) and Tyson

Comment

Working...
                      X