No announcement yet.

Is the sport of boxing devolving?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the sport of boxing devolving?

One thread the guy is implying fan interest is waning compared to the past.

The boxers themselves are lesser skilled. Relying on their athletic gifts rather than employing principles of the sweet science. Very few I reckon are good in inside fighting.

And just compare Mayweather, Pacquiao, Martinez, Ward and Marquez to fighters like Nunn, Toney, Kalambay, McCallum, Carbajal, Starling, Humberto Gonzalez, Whitaker and Julio Cesar Chavez of years past? There is an obvious drop in quantity and quality dont you think?

Check out my sig. It's a link too if you click on it.

Comment

Originally posted by klipsch speaker View Post

The boxers themselves are lesser skilled. Relying on their athletic gifts rather than employing principles of the sweet science. Very few I reckon are good in inside fighting.

And just compare Mayweather, Pacquiao, Martinez, Ward and Marquez to fighters like Nunn, Toney, Kalambay, McCallum, Carbajal, Starling, Humberto Gonzalez, Whitaker and Julio Cesar Chavez of years past? There is an obvious drop in quantity and quality dont you think?
      I don't think I'd go as far as using the word 'devolving', but the sport is changing. Radically changing, perhaps.

Comment

lol yeah Mayweather, Ward and Marquez DEFINITELY are not techinally sound or crafty riiiiiiiiiiiight?

Comment

One area where boxing has completely devolved is inside fighting, and since it pretty much goes along with it intelligent pressure fighting as well. It's astounding the complete lack of pressure fighters who know how to cut off a ring, move their head, work inside with the jab, work the body, and wear an opponent down. It's probably my favorite style to watch, and it's so rare to see anymore.

You might be able to blame the lack of inside fighting on referees now, who in many cases break fighters up the second they get near each other. Guys never have to learn how to fight inside.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            One area where boxing has completely devolved is inside fighting, and since it pretty much goes along with it intelligent pressure fighting as well. It's astounding the complete lack of pressure fighters who know how to cut off a ring, move their head, work inside with the jab, work the body, and wear an opponent down. It's probably my favorite style to watch, and it's so rare to see anymore.

You might be able to blame the lack of inside fighting on referees now, who in many cases break fighters up the second they get near each other. Guys never have to learn how to fight inside.
            There is some very good inside Fighters today, but you do have a point as inside fighting is lost almost completely on a lot of fighters today. I believe the primary reason is because of the rules and scorings changes in the amateurs where inside fighting and combinationpunching has been sacrificed on the alter of computerized scoring.

Comment

Some of the names you picked to make your point are idiotic, but it is still a good point.

Inside fighting went lost. It downed on me a while ago, watching a fight of Battling Torres who was supposed to be a very crude brawler back in his days. He would easily be one of the 5 best inside fighters by today's standard.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post

Agreed.

The number of fighters who have no inside game, let alone a poor one, is astonishing. Clinching is increasingly being seen as an appropriate response to dealing with an opponent closing the distance, and neither the trainers nor the referees are letting the fighters know any different.

Body punching is also getting lost. Too many fighters head hunt almost exclusively, even the shorter stockier ones who should be going to the body as a matter of course.

Ring generalship and the ability to cut off the ring is also relatively poor among the upper level pressure fighters of today. Too many of them simply think following the opponent around the ring whilst never taking a backward step equals pressure. It does, but it's not intelligent pressure. Look at Kirkland or Arreola. Not the greatest fighters, but you'd at least think they'd have the rudiments of their style down.

Too many fighters, to my mind, rely on speed and general athleticism too much. They concentrate on a few moves and a narrow restrictive style that maximises their physical benefits and totally ignore the rest of their game. Berto, Khan, Dirrell, even Martinez who's an excellent fighter but still relies more heavily on his athleticism than most.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadman View Post
                  Agreed.

The number of fighters who have no inside game, let alone a poor one, is astonishing. Clinching is increasingly being seen as an appropriate response to dealing with an opponent closing the distance, and neither the trainers nor the referees are letting the fighters know any different.

Body punching is also getting lost. Too many fighters head hunt almost exclusively, even the shorter stockier ones who should be going to the body as a matter of course.

Ring generalship and the ability to cut off the ring is also relatively poor among the upper level pressure fighters of today. Too many of them simply think following the opponent around the ring whilst never taking a backward step equals pressure. It does, but it's not intelligent pressure. Look at Kirkland or Arreola. Not the greatest fighters, but you'd at least think they'd have the rudiments of their style down.

Too many fighters, to my mind, rely on speed and general athleticism too much. They concentrate on a few moves and a narrow restrictive style that maximises their physical benefits and totally ignore the rest of their game. Berto, Khan, Dirrell, even Martinez who's an excellent fighter but still relies more heavily on his athleticism than most.
                  Sometimes I'll go back to some older fights and be shocked at how natural body punching came to damn near everyone. From the best technical boxers to the most relentless pressure fighters, they all threw to the body whenever it was open.Big reason I'm a fan of Lamont Peterson is he is a true throwback in that regard, the guy always makes sure to work the body, one of the few really good pressure fighters and inside fighters in the sport.

A lot of it is simple stuff too. Why would a fighter like Arreola NOT EVER learn to just move his head and throw a couple jabs to the body on the way in? It's very basic stuff.

Comment

fighting wise no its doing decent compared to a few years back things are living up again, maybe not as popular as say MMA is nowadays but still is alive...

However it will devolve if it keeps on having things such as the following:

- five sanctioning belts per division? im serious this is over the top there should only be two belts or three tops for unification fights and less complications all these organisations and especially the WBA being the biggest joke of them all gives out belts like sweets like interim and super belts which are killing the sport,

WBC is second crooked and bent one out there with their emeritus belts.. only organisations which should be out there are WBO and IBF atleast they show least problems and push through..

- Interim/Super belts seriously get rid of these already enough divisions and belts added to this no thanks too many champions

- PPV/Purse split all fights should be set for a 50/50 split of either ppv or purse splits or TV network rights etc just to even it out imagine if all this was actually done how many fights would be sorted out and less politics and falling out on negotiations either then letting the fighters trying to hash it out all the time like they do nowadays

- too many weight divisions is another thing there used to be 8 weight divisions but nowadays so many weight divisions up and down makes more complications

- corruption needs to be sorted out and investigated it needs to be taken care of because of guys like don king, al haymon and im suspecting arum as well need checks and especially some commisions from abroad as well like in other countries need investigations as well..

thats my take life aint perfect i admit and never will be but if only some of those ideas were taken on board how many changes there would be in the boxing world...

Comment

Working...
                    X