No announcement yet.

Boots on the ground ,US forces kill Islamic State leader

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boots on the ground ,US forces kill Islamic State leader

BEIRUT - U.S. commandos mounted a rare raid into eastern Syria overnight, killing a senior Islamic State leader in a firefight, capturing his wife and rescuing a Yazidi woman held as a slave, the Pentagon said Saturday.

Defence Secretary Ash Carter announced the raid, identifying the militant as Abu Sayyaf. He said no U.S. forces were killed or injured in the operation.

The raid was the first known U.S. ground operation targeting IS militants in Syria. A U.S.-led coalition has been striking the extremists from the air for months, but the only previous time American troops set foot on the ground in Syria was in an unsuccessful commando mission to recover hostages last summer.

The Britain-based Syria Observatory for Human Rights confirmed an attack on the IS-controlled Omar oil field, Syria's largest, saying at least 19 IS members, including 12 foreigners, were killed. The group did not say who carried out the attack, but said it was informed that there was an airdrop that followed the airstrikes. The Observatory relies on a network of activists on the ground in Syria.

Syrian state TV earlier reported that Syrian government forces killed at least 40 IS fighters, including a senior commander in charge of oil fields, in an attack Saturday on the Omar field. The Syrian report, which appeared as an urgent news bar on state TV, was not repeated by the state news agency. State TV didn't repeat the urgent news or elaborate on it.

It was not immediately clear why both Syria and the U.S. would claim a similar operation. The U.S. has said it is not co-operating with President Bashar Assad's government in the battle against the Islamic State group. But it says it usually gives Damascus a heads-up on operations within its borders.

The U.S. did not provide the full name of the militant identified as Abu Sayyaf. There was no information immediately available on jihadist websites.

Yes I do
    57.89%
    No I'm a hypocritical ***ut!
    42.11%

The poll is expired.

Really not a surprise though

Comment

'Merica...fcuk yeah

Comment

Yeah no, sure, "'merica'". They deserve no credit untill they actually clean up the entire ISIS mess which is their fault. I hope this is a sign of more to come but as of right now, these countries' stability, citizens and historic artifacts have been in constant state of danger and the most horrible crimes you can think of.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
          Yeah no, sure, "'merica'". They deserve no credit untill they actually clean up the entire ISIS mess which is their fault. I hope this is a sign of more to come but as of right now, these countries' stability, citizens and historic artifacts have been in constant state of danger and the most horrible crimes you can think of.
          You would have to be a veteran to understand. Thanks for the post though.

Comment

Originally posted by krazyn8tive View Post
            You would have to be a veteran to understand. Thanks for the post though.
            So did you partake in the US' illegal war which left the country in complete shambles and spawned the likes of ISIS which has caused more damage to Iraq(and a number of other countries) and its citizens than it has seen in thousands of years?

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
              So did you partake in the US' illegal war which left the country in complete shambles and spawned the likes of ISIS which has caused more damage to Iraq(and a number of other countries) and its citizens than it has seen in thousands of years?
              Yes. Yes I did. 2007 for a year. Are you now going to tell me how bad of a human being I am?

Comment

Oh no, it's developing into one of those threads. I'm really indifferent as long as there is no draft, they're gonna do what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by krazyn8tive View Post
                  Yes. Yes I did. 2007 for a year. Are you now going to tell me how bad of a human being I am?
                  No, I think it is a shame that your courage and talent was used for what turned out to be an evil cause and you probably never realised it.

Comment

We come from an island, a mighty might island.

Parris Island

Comment

Working...
                    X