Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miguel Cotto wins against any version of Sergio Martinez!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a 2010-12 martinez woulda destroyed cotto, watching this fight was just plain horrible to see, a blind man could tell his knees were destroyed and he had no business being in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoFuego View Post
      You don't get in the ring unless you're 100%. I never believe any fighter who claims he fought injured. That's nonsense. Martinez got smoked, and that's all there is to it.
      so you think he had major surgeries, a 24/7 personal rehab coach, multiple doctor visits and expensive tests, just for show and to make cotto's win worth less than what it really was and to make the impression that he was going in hurt when he really wasn't?

Comment

Sergio is in a position of bowing out gracefully and he is doing just that. Anyone with a ounce of boxing sense knows full well, that even though a boxer can run and jump with bad knees. Delivering punches is another thing entirely because that action torques the medial\lateral collaterals in a different and more demanding manner than walking\running\jumping.

This was evident every time Sergio threw a punch and it didn't meet any resistance (a miss) he would almost fall over due to the lack of support. Because that knee was not and will probably never been in fighting shape again.

Not to take anything away from Cotto, because once you have an opponent in that ring, it is clearly understood by all that he is declaring himself fight worthy -- Even if it is contrary to the truth.

So, back to the OP thought .... No!!! A healthy Sergio would have been an extremely dangerous fight for Cotto, which is why timing is very important -- The timing was perfect for Cotto to capitalize on the opportunity..

Comment

Anybody who believes this doesnt work a day job that requires any sort of critical thinking and whose opinion outside of an internet forum would never matter in anything.

Comment

Ok let me ask you guys a question. If cotto lost last night would you accept that it was because his previous battles and Sergio had an unfair advantage. Now I know that knee injuries are hard to come back from. Even more so with his age. But my goodness knocked him down 3 times in the first round and that had nothing to do with his knees. Just give the man his propers.

Comment

Originally posted by PRp4p757 View Post
              Ok let me ask you guys a question. If cotto lost last night would you accept that it was because his previous battles and Sergio had an unfair advantage. Now I know that knee injuries are hard to come back from. Even more so with his age. But my goodness knocked him down 3 times in the first round and that had nothing to do with his knees. Just give the man his propers.
              Cotto gets props for stepping up and making the fight. Thats literally all I'm willing to give him.

I'm not even mad at Cotto, I'm more pissed at Martinez for misleading the public but hey, gotta make that 1.5mil i guess.

If Cotto had lost it would of just been a case of a smaller guy moving up to much to fight a guy who in his prime...was bigger, faster, bigger punching, and slicker. Nothing wrong with that.

I always said Cotto would only win if Martinez's knee was completely shot. He fooled me with the 24/7 **** but it was obvious in that first round he shouldnt of even been fighting that night.

Comment

Sergio wouldn't have had an answer for Cotto's left hook 2 years ago either. Maybe his bike would have been a gear faster, possibly, but same result after being hit. This was Sergio's first world class fighter that he has fought and obviously he couldn't hang.

Comment

Originally posted by jcj0427 View Post
                  a 2010-12 martinez woulda destroyed cotto, watching this fight was just plain horrible to see, a blind man could tell his knees were destroyed and he had no business being in the ring.
                  I don't except this. Did you see the poll for this fight. The vast majority had Martinez by ko. There were things being thrown around like a 50% Sergio beats cotto. He came out and made Sergio look bad. Beat him down. Now Sergio is old and his knees and a bunch of other excuses. Sergio made none so no one else should. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by bopbopbbe View Post
                    Cotto gets props for stepping up and making the fight. Thats literally all I'm willing to give him.

I'm not even mad at Cotto, I'm more pissed at Martinez for misleading the public but hey, gotta make that 1.5mil i guess.

If Cotto had lost it would of just been a case of a smaller guy moving up to much to fight a guy who in his prime...was bigger, faster, bigger punching, and slicker. Nothing wrong with that.

I always said Cotto would only win if Martinez's knee was completely shot. He fooled me with the 24/7 **** but it was obvious in that first round he shouldnt of even been fighting that night.
                    I agree with all of this. Cotto did his job. It was Martinez who knew he could barely walk and took the payday. Not "mad" at either one, just surprised at how many people are acting like this was some epic victory when it shouldn't have even been sanctioned.

Comment

Originally posted by PRp4p757 View Post
                      I think you're mis-reading the comments -- No one is taking any credit away from Cotto ... period.

At the same time, and being both realistic and observant, Sergio was severely flawed having to return from a 14-month lay-off and a whole host of potential career ending injuries.

Bottom-line: It is well within reason to compliment on one side while observing discrepancies on the other side that made the end result so dramatic.

Comment

Working...
                      X