Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Marcos Maidana not enforce his mandatory status?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did Marcos Maidana not enforce his mandatory status?

The WBA, made Maidana the Interim champion, and ENFORCED that Khan MUST fight him in 90 days, Maidana said nothing, GBP offer Maidana a contract, and he agrees to not fight Khan for 3 fights.

WHY DID HE DO THIS

Is he a buffoon? It doesn't take a genius to work out that if he beat Khan, he would of been offered a superior contract, as the champion. Why was he so happy not to fight for the belt he was entitled to fight for, why was he so quiet about it all.

Why, Marcos, Why.

From the way I understand it, Maidana agrees that the fight could be built into a bigger fight. I read somewhere that he feels khan is intelligent for not wanting the fight right now and Maidana himself wants to have a few more fights in America so that when they do fight, it'll be a bigger event. Makes sense.

Comment

I'm sure Golden Boy gave him some money.

Comment

Im pretty sure he got paid.

and idk why they want to build this fight.

its a ****ing simple mandatory with a guy (maidana) whos not going tobe completely loved by US fanbase to the point wheres going to hsve populatiry as Cotto has. Khan and his handlers just scared.

Comment

I think once a fighter becomes a mandatory challenger there's a certain window of time in place before a defense is forced before strippage occurs. Can't be arsed to check the WBA website.

Comment

IMO serious leverage was applied for Maidana to sell himself short. Maidana is a limited boxer. Khan because of his chin presented the best chance Maidana would ever have of being champion. There is no way Maidana would ever get past Bradley or Alexander so there has to have been some serious inducements for him to take the deal. My guess is there was both stick and carrot. The carrot would be a combination of money and HBO TV slots. People on this forum have said that HBO threatened to black ball him and not show his fights if he enforced his mandatory rights "The Stick".
            There is no question the back room dealings were driven by GBP and their influence on HBO and negotiating with the WBA to alter their normal mandatory procedure was no easy matter no doubt needing money to facilitate.
            This was a complex deal designed to protect Khan and GBP's interest in Khan. Khan had been promissed a million USD a fight and there must have been additional funding for the WBA and Maidana. All this would have come out of GBP's pocket to hopefully be recouped in future fights.
            When you see this kind of effort and back room dealings it is almost a cert that Maidana signed some kind of contract where he would be sworn to silence about talking about how the deal to not fight Khan for 3 months was conducted. That would explain why he has been so quiet.
            This is not a profile building idea to set up a future big pay day fight but a way of GBP getting a threat to their investment out of the way. Maidana will be set up with good boxers that can take a shot that are capable of beating him. Once that happens there is no Khan fight. The first of these is Cayo. Alexander has talked about facing the winner of Cayo Maidana and there is no way Maidana gets past Alexander and it is no cert he will beat Cayo
            either.
            IMO Maidana was made a deal he could not refuse. there can be no other reason he sold himself short.

Comment

i seriously think hes being asked to simply wait and is being compensated for doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by El Jesus View Post
                i seriously think hes being asked to simply wait and is being compensated for doing so.
                Having to fight 3 fighters before he gets his title shot is NOT a "simple wait". If he loses and my guess he will there will be no Khan fight. There is more going on here than just money. Think about the money he SHOULD earn as champion if he got past Khan. Something is not right here.

Comment

Yo, can we really blame Maidana for taking the money? i mean, the man probably has a family to take care of. I would have probably done the same thing.

Comment

money talks...............

Comment

Working...
                    X