No announcement yet.

Groves: I would have continued fighting if the referee had let me

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groves: I would have continued fighting if the referee had let me

George Groves (19-2, 15 KO’s) was out cold for three seconds last night after getting knocked out by IBF/WBA super middleweight champion Carl Froch (33-2, 24 KO’s) in their second and likely final fight between. Groves said that when he came to, he was ready to get back up and resume fighting if the referee Charlie Fitch hadn’t held him down to keep him from getting back to his feet. Fitch did the smart thing in stopping the fight at that moment.

When Groves did finally get to his feet, he didn’t look good as he staggered slightly while walking to his corner to sit down on a stool.

“It’s strange – I felt more beaten up after the first fight. There’s no concussion, no aches or pains and my face isn’t as bad as last time considering I got dropped heavily,” Groves said via Skysports.com. “If the referee had let me get up there’s no way I wouldn’t have carried on, although he was 100% right – I was out for about three seconds.”

That’s good news that Groves didn’t suffer a concussion because the way he was laying there on the canvas, I had a feeling he might be seriously hurt. As it is, Groves probably should think about taking at least 6 months off before he gets back in the ring again to fight. He doesn’t need to be taking any risks of suffering additional knockouts in the future. Groves’ promoter Kalle Saulerland should look to put him in with some opposition with little punching power until he shows that he’s fine.

Groves probably would have won the fight if he fought smart instead of punching with Froch and backing up to the ropes. Groves also made a calculated error in trying to hit Froch with a left hook when he was backed against the ropes. With little space between him and Froch, Groves needed to be focusing on throwing straight punches in the short variety the way that Floyd Mayweather Jr. does when he’s backed against the ropes.

When you see Mayweather fighting on the ropes, you’ll notice that he doesn’t try and throw hooks like Groves was doing. Mayweather is too smart to make a mistake like that because he’s wise enough to know that if he throws a hook while backed against the ropes, it means he’d have a good chance of getting hit while he’s in the process of throwing the hook.

What Groves needs is a trainer that can change his fighting style completely to turn him into more of a pure boxer instead of a slugger, because I don’t think he’s got the chin to be a puncher. He needs someone like Virgil Hunter, who can make him totally defensive and teach him not to do stupid things like fighting on the ropes and throwing hooks while he’s backed against the ropes.
    Last edited by Bayles$; 06-01-2014, 09:56 PM.

I think Groves would have made the count but been too wobbled to survive the next barrage. Froch is pretty good at finishing guys once they're hurt and Groves was just standing up on raw instinct.

Groves seemed to be overly concentrated on the judges hence every time he was on the ropes he tried to look good by throwing some superficial hooks. In the first fight he slipped and turned out of it which was much safer for Groves and made Froch frustrated.
    Last edited by Fr3$h; 06-01-2014, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Dude didn't move at all, with hands straight up in the air, and his knee bent back. But as soon as the ref waved it off, he pounced up. He seemed staggered so I doubt he beats the county may have gotten up but would have staggered back and ref would have called it.. Or froch would have finished him very soon

Comment

He probably would've made the count but the referee made the right decision. Groves was out.

If the fight continued Groves would've been dispatched of quickly imo (like Donaire/Montiel).

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
          Dude didn't move at all, with hands straight up in the air, and his knee bent back. But as soon as the ref waved it off, he pounced up. He seemed staggered so I doubt he beats the county may have gotten up but would have staggered back and ref would have called it.. Or froch would have finished him very soon
          I'm thinking Froch-Taylor style where Groves just gets up and zombies around the ring taking punches until the ref calls it a few seconds later.

Oh well it's purely academic. It seems whether people desired the count or not there's a consensus agreement Groves was done.

Comment

No, Groves was Done.

Comment

Thats nice,,and your career would have been over

Comment

He's so funny he literally woke up when the ref was waving it off, and had to be held up when he sprung up. Some heart but sadly not as strong of a chin.

Comment

He was going to walk over to shake hands with Froch at the end but couldn't even do it and had to sit back on his stool and get oxygen. He was fuked.

Comment

Dude has heart & will be someone to watch ... But for right now, he makes to many mistakes to be in there with Froch.

I thought he would pull it out and he was looking good up until that sledge-hammer landed.

Comment

Working...
                    X