No announcement yet.

Worst fighter turned commentator contest

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst fighter turned commentator contest

We often talk about great commentators, and often a fighter can serve well as an expert commentator as they often have angles and information that your normal broadcaster simply doesn't possess.

Of course, I'm talking about the likes of Roy Jones jr, Antonio Tarver and more recently, Paulie Malignaggi. I think Ray Leonard have done a decent job the few times I've heard him on EPIX.

Now, let's touch on the topic of the worst examples.

Lennox Lewis:

- The emotionless voice of the former heavyweight champion could put a glass eye to sleep. Golden nuggets like "yeah, he throws a good jab" and "he should focus a little more" were just some of the much too frequent analyses of the boxing game you could expect to hear from him. That, and comparing Andre Dirrell to Muhammad Ali are just some of his esteemed accomplishments in the boxing commentary booth.

George Foreman:

- Now, I actually belong to the people who thought 'Big' George was an asset to the HBO boxing broadcast team. However, that was more because of his immediate excitement should somebody land a right hand. Merchant, the ever cynic, would calm him down only for George to say: "He only needs one more right hand and that guy is out of there" - despite said fighter often being completely fine. Loved it.

LM:George, I wanna ask you something, when Lewis comes inside, you say he doesn't have it there, but he's been showing he has it there with Holyfield in these last few rounds. When he stands back, you say he doesn't have the heart to get in there. Now which is it?

GEORGE: You know when Holyfield guards his ear with his glove he puts it ALL behind his ear that makes it so that Lewis can come up with those uppercuts!

Andre Ward:

- This recent addition to HBO boxing, was met with initial intrigue. 'Andre Ward', he's p4p one of the best out there - he knows everything there is to know about boxing. He must be great.' Well, it's like his fights. Sure, you'll get excited that he's fighting a Carl Froch or Chad Dawson, but as soon as it starts you know you're in for a long, boring night. It didn't help that he called GGG the #3 guy at middleweight

Amir Khan:

- I like Khan and consider myself a fan. But damn, he should stay away from commentating. Or media in general. Everything he says can be turned into a quote in a newspaper and get laughed at on the forums.

Khan just after the Mayweather-Ortiz fight: "Mayweather only fights old guys who are past their best."

Who do you think is the worst? Any quotes are not only welcome, but encouraged.
    Lennox Lewis
    26.19%
    George Foreman
    4.76%
    Andre Ward
    14.29%
    Amir Khan
    42.86%
    Other
    11.90%

The poll is expired.

Comment

Amir khan by far.. That guest spot he did in the malignaggi Judah fight was cringeworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
        Jim Watt is an absolute legend, I don't want to hear anything else!

"He's hurrrt! He's Huurrrt!!

Comment

Haha, totally agreed

Comment

Imagine if we had Pacquiao and Golovkin as a commentating team.

Comment

We have a winner.

Comment

i think its a shame that you didnt include roy on the list cause he is just awful, no one exhibits bigger bias than Roy. He overlooks so many things its crazy that he used to be a fighter. Ward is boring as ****. And Khan when he was on showtime he just never even said a word i barley knew he was commentating

Comment

Originally posted by WarMaidana View Post
                  i think its a shame that you didnt include roy on the list cause he is just awful, no one exhibits bigger bias than Roy. He overlooks so many things its crazy that he used to be a fighter. Ward is boring as ****. And Khan when he was on showtime he just never even said a word i barley knew he was commentating
                  Really? I think Roy usually does a decent job and often shows that he knows a little bit more about a fighter's psyche and technique than the guys he's commentating with. I've always enjoyed his commentary.

Comment

Roy Jones might be the worst

Comment

Working...
                    X