Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy Crap! Anyone Remember David Reid? What a sad story

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best wishes to David. I didn't really know who he was until I read this.

Comment

was he rushed into the fight vs Trinidad cause of the eye?

Comment

Originally posted by -Body Snatcher- View Post
        He won the title vs Boudani, and then didn't look great vs Mullings which I believe was a BAD card, but he didn't look good at all.

He was absolutely rushed into the Trinidad fight. He took a horrific beating too late in the fight. Shame on Reid's corner not stopping this.

Comment

Where are his family?

There was a time the Philadelphia native, who recieved a million-dollar pro signing bonus and debuted on HBO, ate his Thanksgiving dinner in a homeless shelter. There was a time when America’s Olympic hero came close to dying from heat exposure while sitting alone in his car during one of the hottest summers in Michigan’s history.

Those are the dark years, a time when Reid lost faith in friends and family. All are now gone, no longer a part of his life.

Reid doesn’t recall much from this time.

He doesn’t remember the details of that sweltering summer day in 2005 when he sat in his car with the windows up, sweat raining down his face as he voraciously paged through his books, numb to what was happening to his overheated body.

The next thing Reid knew he was in the hospital. Reid survived and recovered, but he's not alright.

Today, Reid is about 30 pounds heavier than his fighting weight. He gets around well, but his speech comes in slow, halting starts and stops, each word measured.

Comment

Originally posted by -Body Snatcher- View Post
            Well don't quote me on this but David was given a sign on bonus to fight for a specific promoter, when Daves eye condition seemed to worsen, he was matched up against Trinidad as a promoters way of recovering or cashing in on his investment..

Comment

And the tradition continues, there are very few happy endings for fighters.

The sacrifice and dedication needed to excel in this the killing sport is almost frightening but what is more frightening is the boxers life's after the cheering stops and they are left with the lasting effects of taking so many punches to the head.

May god watch over "The American Dream"

Comment

Originally posted by U_TALKING_2_ME? View Post
                And the tradition continues, there are very few happy endings for fighters.

The sacrifice and dedication needed to excel in this the killing sport is almost frightening but what is more frightening is the boxers life's after the cheering stops and they are left with the lasting effects of taking so many punches to the head.

May god watch over "The American Dream"
                It really is a killing sport. It's so easy to sit behind a computer and critique fighters. But really, we're what they live for, without the fans, why do they give that much?

Comment

Originally posted by !! AI-Holmes!! View Post
                  Well don't quote me on this but David was given a sign on bonus to fight for a specific promoter, when Daves eye condition seemed to worsen, he was matched up against Trinidad as a promoters way of recovering or cashing in on his investment..
                  It's really messed up how these boxers are just thrown away after their career. I mean David Reid was a friggin American gold medalist for crying outloud, and to be sacrifice because of problems out of his hands is just sick.

Goodluck to David Reid.

Comment

Originally posted by GRboxing View Post
                    It really is a killing sport. It's so easy to sit behind a computer and critique fighters. But really, we're what they live for, without the fans, why do they give that much?
                    "Fans" are fickle one day you are the best thing since sliced bread and lose a fight and you are a "bum" or you just got "exposed".

Fighters are born but boxers are made, being born a fighter means you are an "A" type personality with a penchant for self destruction, and a craving to push your limits and crave glory.

Some do it for the money, some do it for fame and most do it for both but one thing is for sure most don't feel they will pay the price that almost all fighters do until it is to late.
                    Last edited by U_TALKING_2_ME?; 08-19-2013, 12:30 AM.

Comment

A sad story. Was his eye problem congenital or a result of fighting?

Comment

Working...
                      X