Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Marquez beat the guys in Manny Pacquiao's resume?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good assessment.

Good assessment man.

I personally think JMM would get destroyed by both Margarito & Clottey. The size, durability & power advantages would be too great IMHO. The drained & very much less than prime DLH could get seriously beaten down. I believe Cotto may have had too much at that stage for JMM but JMM is a durable and adaptable fighter and could've eked out a close decision...possibly then, probably not now.

The assessments of Hatton and Diaz are spot on. Easy meat for JMM at that stage...though with the risks of catching a good KO punch.

Mosley for mine would simply be too much for JMM to handle...bad match up for him.
    Originally posted by Randomum View Post

Anyways if he gets into exchanges with the same versions of the fighters that Pacquiao fought he could probably only handle Hatton, ODLH, and Diaz.

If he fought very defensively without getting into exchanges I could see him having a chance with Cotto, and Mosley.

Ironically Pacquiao's most overlooked wins I think would give Marquez the worst time. I think Clottey, and Margarito would win big against Marquez.

Cotto- MAYBE, Cotto is a good fighter but not on the level of Marquez technically. His only advantage here would be power and lateral movement/footspeed (see Marg II fight). I think with some minor adjustments Marquez takes away the left hand entirely. But can Marquez handle the heat in those small exchanges he likes to do? If Marquez can handle the power I think he can cut him and that can lead to a victory. Cotto's moral goes down when he is cut, and Marquez snaps his punches. He is one of the best skin cutters in my opinion. However I suspect his power is too much, and Cotto's chin is actually too good to be hurt by Marquez.

Marg- NO, I think stylistically it is a tough fight for Marquez. Being smaller he brings down Margs power since has to punch down, but it still might be too much. Could Marquez hurt Margarito enough to slow him down? I don't think so. I don't think even Floyd could slow down a Pre Pacquiao Margarito. PBF would win by pot shotting and not getting hit, but Marquez lacks the foot speed and body movement to do this. Marquez does have a chance though if he can get close. This is not hard since Margarito doesn't use his height and does not have good in fighting skills. Margarito's hand speed is slightly below average. Can Marquez counter in between Marg throwing using body movement? My main reason for thinking this is that Marg (Pre Pac) can only lose to guys who are athletic (foot speed, and hand speed) or strong boxer punchers.

Clottey- NO, I don't think that Marquez could open up the shell guard. Also in this fight he would have to take the role of lead fighter. Clottey is actually a proficient boxer, and he is taller and has decent reach. Clottey would counter Marquez and I think he would lose an ugly UD. To beat Clottey decisively you also need speed, stamina and power. Power to keep him shelled up, stamina to keep unloading, and speed to throw in the few moments he opens up and land on him. I think Marquez lacks the power and speed here.

Hatton- YES, no disrespect here but I think Hatton was always a face first warrior. His power and determination would make it hard for Marquez. I think Marquez stops him late though. Stylistically there i nothing that Hatton could do to stop the combination punches. Also I think Marquez could handle his punch and rough up close tactics, as well as minimize his power easily with distance. Marquez can fight inside as well.

ODLH- MAYBE, I think stylistically this is also a bad match up for Marquez. ODLH has power and he can create range (length and boxing skill). He also has good boxing fundamentals. Can Marquez handle his power? Did ODLH have power at 147 around the same time Pac fought him? I think they have similar attributes physically only that Marquez is the much smaller man.Can Marquez hurt him? I think the key here is how far gone was ODLH here? Was it just that Pacquiao made him look bad? If he was slow and plodding like in that fight I could see a close fight.

Diaz-YES, Diaz was also a face first warrior. He was determined but technically very weak. Where Pacquiao smoked him physically, Marquez could smoke him technically. It would be a bloodier version of the Katsidis fight. I could see Diaz hurting Marquez at points though. I believe Marquez would win but not as spectacular as Pac.

Mosley-MAYBE. I believe the only way to beat Mosley is with boxing ability combined with speed, or with speed and power. Speedy boxers like Winky, or Forrest who would use their height and foot speed to keep Mosley at a distance can win easily. Also Mayweather who with speed and technique was able to negate Mosley's power except in the first 2 rounds. Pacquiao was able to beat him with pure speed and power. After he got Mosley's respect all Mosley did was backpedal. Mosley could not handle Manny. Marquez does not have enough of either here. The problem here is that he packs a great punch, is faster in both hand and feet, even the recent version, than Marquez. I also think he has a much better chin. I still remember him taking those bombs he took from Forrest. Marquez could win a very close fight if he can get Mosley's respect. I don't think he could though. I can more easily see Mosley out muscling small man Marquez.

Comment

better question is, can Pacquiao beat the those same guys without the use of human growth hormone ???

and can he even compete with his daddy Juan Manuel Marquez without the use of human growth hormone ?????

Marquez > Pacroid

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzaman View Post
        Good assessment man.

I personally think JMM would get destroyed by both Margarito & Clottey. The size, durability & power advantages would be too great IMHO. The drained & very much less than prime DLH could get seriously beaten down. I believe Cotto may have had too much at that stage for JMM but JMM is a durable and adaptable fighter and could've eked out a close decision...possibly then, probably not now.

The assessments of Hatton and Diaz are spot on. Easy meat for JMM at that stage...though with the risks of catching a good KO punch.

Mosley for mine would simply be too much for JMM to handle...bad match up for him.
        I agree. Marquez is a bit smaller than Pacquiao and would get overworked and overpowered by them,.

Comment

I don't think Marquez beats many of them. I have watched Marquez fight for years and he has always struggled with a left jab, and even more so at this age in the twiglight of his career. His best weight was 126-130, where he was much more mobile.

I think Cotto, Clottey, have great jabs, and even Margarito has a pretty effective jab. They all have significant physical advantages over Marquez, which are too much for him to overcome. Cotto and clottey, would break him up off their jabs, and both guys have pretty underrated hand speed. I could see the Cotto fight being quite competitive, but not the Clottey fight. Margarito-Marquez would be an accelerated version of Cotto-Margs I.

The Hatton fight would be competitive for 6-7 rounds and I think Marquez would break Hatton up in the 2nd half of the fight. Marquez-Oscar, the Oscar that PAC fought, not sure about this one, Oscar was not allowed into the fight, so it's hard to say what he had. I will plead the 5th. Mosley would again I think be tough for Marquez, I would not bet against Mosley in that fight, quite frankly Pacquiao's speed and power is such a game breaker, it changed the complexion of all of these fights. Marquez does not bring that to those higher weight classes unfortunately.

Comment

Well, if we're going by WHEN Pac fought most these guys, I think so yeah. Even De La Hoya and Mosley who in other times would annihilate Marquez. Even the Marg one would be good. No plaster Marg seems to be weak. Hatton might even get KOd. Morales/Barrera, yes. The Cotto one would be good but doubt Cotto beats him at under 147. Diaz is an obvious one. Clottey is the most interesting matchup imo. Clottey, if he would just let his hands go the Pac bout might be totally diff considering he looked good when throwing. If he fights ANYONE like he did pac he loses.

Honestly, I think JMm really does beat all these guys. Now, under different circumstances Pac wouldn't even beat some of the same people...but if it's at the same time he did, for sure. Lets be honest bro...some of these guys might not even beat the top 3-4 in the division on these nights...like Oscar, Shane, Marg....

The lighter weight performances are a bit better...but then again so was JMM. JMM fights as good as his opposition is...minus Floyd...

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
              Marquez outpoints the Cotto Pacquiao fought... he was coming off 1 horrible beating and 1 arguable lose to Clottey not to mention the Catchweight

Marquez outpoints a slow ass limited skill predictable inferior Margarito that was coming off a brutal beating and TKO lose

Marquez outpoints Clottey

Marquez stop Hatton

Marquez would probably lose to fishnets

Marquez stops Diaz

Marquez outpoints the Mosley that was coming off a brutal beating and draw
              LMAO you do know that that margarito weighed 168 pounds on fight night and ****ed pac up even in defeat? Marquez doesn't have the style to beat the WW's pac beat. Remember the juan diaz and katsidis fights? Now you telling me he is suppose to tame a 168 pound margarito?

Just because marquez has pac's style figured doesn't mean he beats everyone pac beat.

Comment

I see Shane KO'ing Marquez, even tho Mosley is shot to pieces.

I mean Marquez defense isn't the best and he gets hit with shots.

The only thing Shane has got going for him at this stage is his power, and if he connects, I see it as lights out for JMM.

Cotto is too big for Marquez and the Tony that fougth Manny is too big for JMM as well.

The Hatton fight is intersting and so is the Oscar fight at 147.

Also, I don't see any scenario in which JMM beats Clottey. Clottey lost to Manny due to him being scared of Manny's power. I just don't see him going into a sell against Marquez and I see him fighting more like he fought Cotto and Margarito.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugh! View Post
                  marquez went life and death with a past it barrera didn't he?
                  morales probabley beats him too

not including the welterweights

btw are we talkin pre- or post steroids marquez?
                  Since we are talking talking Pacquiao then yes we are talking post steroid JMM. We are also talking draining catch weights, so yes JMM wins.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
                    More to the point, could Floyd beat the guys Pac fought? Thats the difference between Pac and the challengers to his p4p king status. Pac has done it, whereas the others we wonder if they could.

Its better to have the wins in the bag, rather than pro claim youd be able to do it like Floyd does.
                    lmao... Most of that is Floyd's resume before it was Pac's. Floyd is gonna demolish Cotto at his natural weight and embarrassed JMM unlike what Pac did. The only difference is Clottey and Margarito, and if you think either of them would have gave Floyd a challenge you are delusional.

Comment

I agree with the notion that jmm wouldnt do so hot with the wws on that list, i feel that he might be able to beat cotto and maybe clottey.

Comment

Working...
                      X