Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Seth Mitchell be brought along faster?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by davros2010 View Post
    I like Chisora but there is a chance he could beat Chisora in a year or so if he can improve his defence you don't know what could happen. If he doesnt improve his defence he won't ever win a title though, but who really knows at this stage the one thing Mitchell has got and that is power.

chisora has a great chin and stamina when he's in shape though

he could take seth into deep waters

as gifted as he is, he was a footbal player in his youth. he's certainly not going to be the same fighter in the 12th that he was in the first.
    he's slimming down, but he's still a brick house. he will tire out with the right fighter who can take him rounds (take his shots, hit him with the jab, and slow his roll and keep him at the end of the jab and out of range to work your body

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      Personally I think his team is doing a great job matching him and getting him experience. I've seen some on here who are buying into the HBO hype though without really understanding just how inexperienced he really is. Having him fight a Klit now would be the same as Pete Radamacher fight for the heavyweight championship in his first fight. In other words, career suicide. 2 or 3 more fringe contenders and than 2 legitimate top 10 fighters and if he keeps winning he should be ready. If he loses we'll know he wasn't readyanyway and its back to the drawing board.
      He needs to start stepping up.

Is he going to wait for Wlad to retire?

At least he is progressing faster than Wilder.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        chisora has a great chin and stamina when he's in shape though

he could take seth into deep waters

as gifted as he is, he was a footbal player in his youth. he's certainly not going to be the same fighter in the 12th that he was in the first.
        he's slimming down, but he's still a brick house. he will tire out with the right fighter who can take him rounds (take his shots, hit him with the jab, and slow his roll and keep him at the end of the jab and out of range to work your body
        I agree. If you could combine Chisora's head movement and chin with Mitchell's power and strength you would have a very good fighter. I still think Bryant Jennings is a better prospect.

Comment

Yes he should be brought along faster because his style is not gonna allow him to last long and he could get knocked out by any legit contender at this point, as we saw in his last fight. People act like he's gonna improve tremendously but he won't IMO. He is what is, what you see is what you get, the longer they wait the bigger the risk of him getting a L before getting a title shot. A one dimensional brawler doesn't turn into a defensive wizard in a couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
            Yes he should be brought along faster because his style is not gonna allow him to last long and he could get knocked out by any legit contender at this point, as we saw in his last fight. People act like he's gonna improve tremendously but he won't IMO. He is what is, what you see is what you get, the longer they wait the bigger the risk of him getting a L before getting a title shot. A one dimensional brawler doesn't turn into a defensive wizard in a couple years.
            Just because he started late doesn't mean they should just throw him to the wolfs right now. He has much to work on, and his flaws won't allow him to be competitive with contenders like Arreola or Adamek. He almost got stopped by an irrelevant HW, what do you think a guy like Arreola gonna do to him if Mitchell doesn't stop him early? He needs to add wrinkles to his skill-set before he even makes the jump to fight the Klits.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
              Just because he started late doesn't mean they should just throw him to the wolfs right now. He has much to work on, and his flaws won't allow him to be competitive with contenders like Arreola or Adamek. He almost got stopped by an irrelevant HW, what do you think a guy like Arreola gonna do to him if Mitchell doesn't stop him early? He needs to add wrinkles to his skill-set before he even makes the jump to fight the Klits.
              But he's not a boxer, it's not like he has a lot of room for improvement. He comes forward and tries to do damage, these guys will never have great defense. How can you add wrinkles to your skillset when you're so limited? It's like trying to improve Maidana, there's only so much you can do. I don't believe Mitchell will be technically better 2 or even 3 years from now. He's pretty much a finished product.

Comment

Mitchell has a very limited amateur career and I feel his career would better if he is moved slowly. If I was his manager I would have no problem with getting him 30 fights under his belt before mixing him with top ten fighters. I would give him challenging fights but still move him slow. The Chazz Witherspoon fight presented some concerns about him and it would be disasterous to risk his career with moving him too fast.

Comment

But he's not a boxer, it's not like he has a lot of room for improvement. He comes forward and tries to do damage, these guys will never have great defense. How can you add wrinkles to your skillset when you're so limited? It's like trying to improve Maidana, there's only so much you can do. I don't believe Mitchell will be technically better 2 or even 3 years from now. He's pretty much a finished product.
                  I'm not saying he should continue to fight guys who don't matter, but should his next fight be a Klitschko?? HELL NO. Have him fight Fury or Helenius which will teach him how to fight when he's at a height and reach disadvantage. Although he isn't a crafty boxer, he hasn't even mastered the one dimension that comes natural to him, that's the problem. He needs to be taught how to defend himself on the inside, how to set-up his body shots more effectively, etc etc. Throwing him to a Klitschko right now will only get him sent to the hospital, what is the point of becoming a boxer if he isn't even gonna try to learn the nuances and tricks that come with time and experience? Mitchell wouldn't even be a worthwhile cash-out cuz he hasn't done ANYTHING.

Even Maidana is making the effort by getting one of the Garcia brothers to train him.
                  Last edited by kiaba360; 05-02-2012, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
                    I'm not saying he should continue to fight guys who don't matter, but should his next fight be a Klitschko?? HELL NO. Have him fight Fury or Helenius which will teach him how to fight when he's at a height and reach disadvantage. Although he isn't a crafty boxer, he hasn't even mastered the one dimension that comes natural to him, that's the problem. He needs to be taught how to defend himself on the inside, how to set-up his body shots more effectively, etc etc. Throwing him to a Klitschko right now will only get him sent to the hospital, what is the point of becoming a boxer if he isn't even gonna try to learn the nuances and tricks that come with time and experience? Mitchell wouldn't even be a worthwhile cash-out cuz he hasn't done ANYTHING.

Even Maidana is making the effort by getting one of the Diaz brothers to train him.
                    Match him with Povetkin then, it's a winnable fight. And then a big unification fight against a Klit. Now that's a worthwile cash out.

Comment

Match him with Povetkin then, it's a winnable fight. And then a big unification fight against a Klit. Now that's a worthwile cash out.
                      Povetkin is WBA, while Mitchell is under the WBO and WBC ratings. Sure, DLH could probably work something out and get him skipped over all the other contenders to the top, but taking the short cut won't make him a better fighter. If his only concern is with making $$$ and not getting criticized/humiliated in the process, then that's the route he should take.

Comment

Working...
                      X