No announcement yet.

winky wright

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winky wright

Why does winky wright get labeled as a boring fighter. His fights with fernando vargas and Jermain taylor were excellent. His fights with sam solimon, jc candelo, mosley,angel hernandez, and quartey were pretty good also His fight with hopkins was ugly and boring but thats just one fight

I feel like he was a dull fighter due to his defencive shell and lack of power. Ur right tho he was in some good fights particuarly vs Taylor and for the record i had Jermain 1 point up in that fight and felt Winky was out of line the way he acted with the draw

Comment

he basically fought for points

he didn't have serious power, but at 154 he was very strong and certainly could have broken men down.
      he was also a good body puncher

had he shown the intention to walk a man down and stop him he might have had a reputation as a more exciting fighter

he began his career with more of a stick and move american style
      as he aged and moved up in weight and his legs wore down and his fights got longer he developed the style he made famous

he had a very good jab
      was a very solid infighter
      had a dynamite chin

he's a rough go for almost anybody at 154 in his prime.

he beat vargas, too.
      that decision was bogus.

and say what you want about vargas
      when he was a young man he was a ****ing monster

if you haven't seen winky's fight with julio cesar vasquez i'd suggest checking it out. vasquez was a mean son of a ***** from argentina, and a much bigger man the night of the fight

winky gets horribly hurt and survives
      he was less than a four year pro fighting for his first world title.

great fighters come back from losses

awesome
      Last edited by New England; 06-08-2011, 06:05 PM.

Comment

there's a large contingent of poster on here who do not believe winky was an avoided fighter PRIOR to the Mosley fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
          there's a large contingent of poster on here who do not believe winky was an avoided fighter PRIOR to the Mosley fights.

Who was he avoided by again?

I think the irony is funny that he was 'avoided' for so long but when he got his chance at a big break he turned it down.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

Who was he avoided by again?

I think the irony is funny that he was 'avoided' for so long but when he got his chance at a big break he turned it down.

I guess I just need to save my response in word document format so I can copy and paste it.

2000 Ring JMW ratings (post Vargas fight)
            Felix Trinidad
            Fernando Vargas
            Ronald (Winky) Wright
            Ike Quartey

Javier Castillejo
            Harry Simon
            Bronco McKart
            Yory Boy Campas
            Tony Marshall
            Shibata Flores

2001 Ring JMW ratings
            Title Vacant

Oscar De La Hoya
            Fernando Vargas
            Ronald (Winky) Wright

Javier Castillejo
            Bronco McKart
            Yory Boy Campas
            Alex Bunema
            J.C. Candelo
            Roman Karmazin
            Steve Roberts

2002 Ring JMW rankings
            Oscar De La Hoya, Champion

Ronald (Winky) Wright
            Fernando Vargas

Javier Castillejo
            Daniel Santos
            Shane Mosley
            Kassim Ouma
            Bronco McKart
            Verno Phillips
            Alex Bunema
            Santiago Samaniego

2003- Oscar "offered" the fight.

2004 Shane fought him. after that, he was on the map. He sure didn't turn down Shane. Would you have favored Oscar or Winky in '03-'04?

Not to mention winky was top 10 for many years before 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post

I guess I just need to save my response in word document format so I can copy and paste it.

2000 Ring JMW ratings (post Vargas fight)
              Felix Trinidad
              Fernando Vargas
              Ronald (Winky) Wright
              Ike Quartey

Javier Castillejo
              Harry Simon
              Bronco McKart
              Yory Boy Campas
              Tony Marshall
              Shibata Flores

2001 Ring JMW ratings
              Title Vacant

Oscar De La Hoya
              Fernando Vargas
              Ronald (Winky) Wright

Javier Castillejo
              Bronco McKart
              Yory Boy Campas
              Alex Bunema
              J.C. Candelo
              Roman Karmazin
              Steve Roberts

2002 Ring JMW rankings
              Oscar De La Hoya, Champion

Ronald (Winky) Wright
              Fernando Vargas

Javier Castillejo
              Daniel Santos
              Shane Mosley
              Kassim Ouma
              Bronco McKart
              Verno Phillips
              Alex Bunema
              Santiago Samaniego

2003- Oscar "offered" the fight.

2004 Shane fought him. after that, he was on the map. He sure didn't turn down Shane. Would you have favored Oscar or Winky in '03-'04?

Not to mention winky was top 10 for many years before 2000.
              That's a nice list of the rankings there but I'm not sure of the point.

Are you saying because they are in the same weight class they avoided Winky?

You have bolded Ike Quartey. Why? Are you claiming Quartey ducked Wright?

You have bolded Oscar. Why? We know Winky turned down a fight with Oscar. Are we claiming he fought Mosley and Vargas in turn to duck Winky?

You have bolded Vargas. Vargas fought Winky already and maybe wanted to move on? I guess Vargas may have not wanted Winky but I don't know the in's and out's of that one.

I don't think Tito ducked Winky to fight the easier Bernard Hopkins at Middleweight.

Castillejo only fought Oscar in that time period so by this logic doesn't that mean he was an avoided fighter also?

No one really avoided Winky. And when his chance came to fight bigger fights for bigger money he turned them down.
              Last edited by IronDanHamza; 06-08-2011, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Zaveck is being avoided by Pacquiao because they're in the same weight-class and have yet to fight.

I mean that's the logic we're using when it comes to Winky.

Comment

Who was the #1 IBF contender to Titio's belt when he left for the MW tourney? Winky already won the title mandatory for the IBF title and was in line for the shot at vargas before he got murked by tito, and was there for Tito. (he was there long before that as well)

Vargas was a well know ducker of winky after winky backed him up and spanked him in their first fight....

And Winky got Shane cuz Mayorga lost to Spinks and Shane needed a name on HBO..

East Side Boxing: What are you thoughts of DelaHoya. When I spoke with him last in November, he said specifically “Without a doubt, I’ll never step in the ring with Winky Wright.” What are your thoughts about that? He had his reasons for it but what do you think his reasons were for it?

Winky Wright: I think his reasons are because he knows I’m a tough fighter. I’m a fighter that can do everything; I can fight, I can box. I come in shape and he’s got to be prepared for a fight. He might try and say that the reason is that it’s not marketable when we’re going to show everyone it’s marketable with me and Shane so the DelaHoya fight will definitely be marketable. But look, I’m hoping that he changes his mind after the fight (after he sees me and Mosley). You know what I’m saying? I want him to say, “look he deserves this fight and he’s been waiting a long time and he beat everybody to get to me, and he deserves this opportunity!”

This is prior to Oscar offering him 65-35 and Winky turning it down. Winky was calling out Oscar for yrs before that offer was made. Winky knew he could no longer be avoided and he wasn't after Shane had to fight him.....

I'm not saying it was a good business decision but lets not act like Winky wasn't avoided. Dan seems to think he wanted to go to England and fight mediocre guys in Europe. He wanted to go to defend his title vs Harry SImon in South Africa?????? Where the fight was announced as a draw but then changed to a W for Simon..... He was basically a champ at 154 from 1996-2004 before he got a big name.... Well, he got a big name once, put up an exciting bout that he lost but the majority of people thought he won and proved that he's a nightmare in the ring. Then he finally gets the fight with Shane 5 YEARS after the "loss" to Vargas. Obviously he wasn't content to fight b-c level guys like Dan's ridiculous theory because as soon as he made a name off of a big name, he only fought the best and big names. Mosley, Mosley, Trinidad, Taylor, Bhop, ancient Quartay (finally) and Pwill.

Winky was a terrible businessman and that stupid chip that he carried on his shoulder caused him to lose out on a ton of dough. he wanted to be the draw so bad, that when he was finally getting good fights, he pulled the same shi t on other guys that was done to him by Vargas, Tito and Oscar. IE, wanting more money from Floyd for a fight he would have won pretty handily. Same thing for the Taylor rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
                    Zaveck is being avoided by Pacquiao because they're in the same weight-class and have yet to fight.

I mean that's the logic we're using when it comes to Winky.
                    Really? How long has Zavek had a belt? Has he been traveling across the globe to find someone willing to fight him?

When's the last time Zavek was here in the states fighting? When did he call out the biggest names in and around his division?

Because winky was a champ for about 3-4 years before he got Vargas. He defended his title in at least 3 different countries because he couldn't get fights.....and he was calling out everyone, especially from 2000-4 when he was a champ at JMW as well.

Yea, that's the logic we're using if one is a mental midget.

Comment

Working...
                    X