Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's with that Floyd Propaganda that he does well against pressure fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
    Well if you read my post you would have your answer. The thing about Floyd is that he has an amazing talent and I love watching him ply his craft but unlike an Ali, SRR and Roy Jones he`s not willing to test himself. When was the last time he had a fight where you thought he might lose.

Well that's a irrelevant question. If he had fought the guys he "ducked" in Margarito, I still would've walked into that fight thinking that he will win. Including Pacquiao. Whether it would've happen is another thing.

It's only against the substantially bigger guy where I would've had mixed feelings. A 6'2 Williams seems like a lot to get over. Simple counters would be out of the question. He would've had to expend way more energy and try to get on his bicycle and fight like Quintana.

Last edited by cupocity303; 03-23-2013, 09:07 PM.

Comment

DLH wasn't a pressure fighter.

He was a boxer-puncher with a great jab that had a lot of ineffective aggression versus Floyd.

Floyd beat Cotto comfortably.

Comment

Floyd can beat pressure fighters, but he prefers easier fights

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
          and name one fight right now under 54 that you think he might lose or are you again just penalyzing him for being too good? Are you one of those people that think Floyd has to fight huge guys who are 15 pounds bigger and more than that naturally or it isnt a fair fight?

Again, if Ghost fights anyone from 135-147 its a great fight but against Floyd its a garbage fight. There is no one from WW down that Floyd is allowed to fight right now. He has to fight huge guys. Everyone's talking about him fighting guys like GGG & Sergio. Some even say Ward.

Have you seen the Canelo-Trout photos & vidz? They are massive but Floyd is a punk if he doesnt fight them even though he's been fighting huge guys all his career and looks like a midget next to them.

Just tell me one person you would be ok with him fighting at WW and I bet you either dont name any or you name a person that everyone else thinks is a joke fight. You cant penalyze him for being too good. If the Ghost is a test for everyone else then dont rip Floyd for fighting him
          Well right now he`s got too many fights at below 154 that he might lose. If he fights at 154 he might lose to Canelo and Trout. I would not make Floyd a favourite over the winner of the fight if they are to fight at 154. He risks getting clipped against both Thurman and Mathyse. He avoided the welterweight division when it was the hottest and retired rather than facing the likes of Cotto, Margarito, Pacman and PWill. Instead he fought Sharmba, Baldomir, Zab and Hatton at 147, not exactly a murderer`s row. So yeah past 135 pounds, Floyd has been the best at cherry picking, there is no denying that.

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
            Well right now he`s got too many fights at below 154 that he might lose. If he fights at 154 he might lose to Canelo and Trout. I would not make Floyd a favourite over the winner of the fight if they are to fight at 154. He risks getting clipped against both Thurman and Mathyse. He avoided the welterweight division when it was the hottest and retired rather than facing the likes of Cotto, Margarito, Pacman and PWill. Instead he fought Sharmba, Baldomir, Zab and Hatton at 147, not exactly a murderer`s row. So yeah past 135 pounds, Floyd has been the best at cherry picking, there is no denying that.
            so you think Thurman & Matthysee have a chance which means you wouldnt be upset if he took those fights, right?

Comment

He does well at avoiding the big ones. Like Punisher and Margarito.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                He does well at avoiding the big ones. Like Punisher and Margarito.
                but see, I dont necessarily agree with that. If you wanna say that then fine but sometimes I think some excuses are legitmate and I dont think his team ever felt like Floyd was a true WW until after those guys had lost.

To me there are 2 WW Floyds. There is Floyd pre JMM and Floyd post JMM. The guy before the JMM fight was a super small/weak WW. I think they felt guys like Margarito were totally inferior but may give Floyd hell strictly on size & power alone.

They wouldve never forgiven themselves if a guy with a tenth of Floyd's skill beat him only because he was too big & strong for Floyd to do anything with. Even if he had won, he wouldve done it by running and everyone wouldve ripped him for that.

Most people dont understand or care about stuff like that but to me its legitmate. Thats why I say the guy who came back from retirment was still smaller but he was way more filled out & stronger. I truly believe that if the Floyd who fought Mosley was around back in the day then he wouldve been way more open to fighting a guy like Margarito.

Before the Mosley or maybe the JMM fight, Margarito wouldve bullied the hell out of Floyd but by time those fights came around, there is no way in hell he wouldve bullied Floyd. It was just bad timing which is why I say that Floyd has had a great career but we sadly never got to see the best Floyd.

He moved up in weight way too fast to chase Oscar. He shouldve stayed at LW for way longer, moved to 140 and stayed there for way longer. He wouldve looked so dominant and had top names on his resume.

Then you finally got to see him start looking great at WW against Shane but by it was still 50/50. By that time he had filled out and had WW strength but he was also clearly past his prime and didnt have the same legs. We just never got to see him at top form besides 130 which was still pre his physical & mental prime

Comment

[QUOTE=DLT;13177018]so you think Thurman & Matthysee have a chance which means you wouldnt be upset if he took those fights, right?[/QUOTE

I wouldn`t mind. They are aggressive, undefeated, strong, punchers and in their prime.

Now imagine if Floyd didn`t retire when the 147 had Margarito, Cotto, PWIll and Pacman at the helm. Imagine he was in the division with Quartey, Tito, DLH, and Pernell. Floyd`s last test came at 135 against Castillo many years ago, since then he`s chosen the path of least resistence unfortunately. It`s just sad for such a talent not to get tested, but I guess self-preservation is more important, and that`s alright for him , but I as a fan wanna watch him test his craft against better guys than Guerrero and Ortiz, both Thurman and Mathyse will ice them out.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    He looked pretty good against Corrales, Chavez, Castillo 2 though. And Hatton.

I think it's a case of a bit of both, he's not amazing against constant pressure but he also doesn't exactly struggle with it.

You hear both of those statments used often.
                    that was many moon ago. Hes older now. Younger pressure fighters will light him up. If hed fight them!

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
                      but see, I dont necessarily agree with that. If you wanna say that then fine but sometimes I think some excuses are legitmate and I dont think his team ever felt like Floyd was a true WW until after those guys had lost.

To me there are 2 WW Floyds. There is Floyd pre JMM and Floyd post JMM. The guy before the JMM fight was a super small/weak WW. I think they felt guys like Margarito were totally inferior but may give Floyd hell strictly on size & power alone.

They wouldve never forgiven themselves if a guy with a tenth of Floyd's skill beat him only because he was too big & strong for Floyd to do anything with. Even if he had won, he wouldve done it by running and everyone wouldve ripped him for that.

Most people dont understand or care about stuff like that but to me its legitmate. Thats why I say the guy who came back from retirment was still smaller but he was way more filled out & stronger. I truly believe that if the Floyd who fought Mosley was around back in the day then he wouldve been way more open to fighting a guy like Margarito.

Before the Mosley or maybe the JMM fight, Margarito wouldve bullied the hell out of Floyd but by time those fights came around, there is no way in hell he wouldve bullied Floyd. It was just bad timing which is why I say that Floyd has had a great career but we sadly never got to see the best Floyd.

He moved up in weight way too fast to chase Oscar. He shouldve stayed at LW for way longer, moved to 140 and stayed there for way longer. He wouldve looked so dominant and had top names on his resume.

Then you finally got to see him start looking great at WW against Shane but by it was still 50/50. By that time he had filled out and had WW strength but he was also clearly past his prime and didnt have the same legs. We just never got to see him at top form besides 130 which was still pre his physical & mental prime
                      If you consider yourself great as Floyd does then there are no excuses that are legitimate. Durant went all the way up to 168. Ray Leonard wasn`t much bigger. Toney started at 154, Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins, Ali, Armstrong. Floyd cannot be compared to any of these fighter because they found no excuses, and the word self-preservation doesn`t even exist to them. Floyd`s talent is great but he`s just a Larry Holmes and truth to be told Larry Holmes didn`t have much choice as far as fighting better guys. Floyd does fight the lesser fighters all the time.

Comment

Working...
                      X