No announcement yet.

Is Boxing Dead?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Boxing Dead?

I don't know, but I feel as if boxing has been somewhat stagnant as of late. I will be honest, I have only been addicted to boxing since 2007. However, I feel as if this has been a slower year for boxing. The reason for this is that many of the superstars, or great fighters, of boxing are on their way out. At the same time, however, there are not many in their prime superstars to take their place. I feel the biggest in his prime fighter fighter is Nonito Donaire and even he is not a household name. There are some good young guys coming up, but will the sport be carried on their shoulders? I don't know, I just feel like this sport is in a transition phase and so is somewhat stagnant. Aside from commenting on my previous statements, I ask the following questions.

Sometimes, there is nothing like matching champion vs. champion or great vs. great. Although some divisions, (130, 135, 147, 154, probably others), are straight up weak at the moment, there are definitely some great matchups to be made if the big two promotional companies worked with each other. So, do you guys think the two big promoters in boxing are to blame for the condition the sport is in?

Which fighters are the future of this sport? List a couple of fighters who will carry the sport of boxing into the future, perhaps for the next 10-15 years. As a result, how does the future look for boxing?

What conditions are required for boxing to have a great era?

One final thought, the Mega Fight is dead. I am not excited to see two past their prime fighters in a fight that means nothing, at this point. It's obvious both fighters have slowed down considerably since the fight was first proposed, one has slowed down a lot more than the other. The world will never how this fight truly would have played out since, if these two ever meet, it will be with both in a diminished state. The fight should have happened in 2009.
    Last edited by Null; 11-05-2012, 04:54 AM.

The mega fight is not dead. To extremists maybe, but casuals will flock back on that pac tard fl 0 mo **** in a matter of seconds if it got announced.

As far as huge boxing stars arising, I have to agree with you. Ward is not a huge household name, neither is Nonito who is a lot older. It depends on what you compare it to though. After Pac and Floyd, and possibly Cotto, you won't be seeing those Oscar De la Hoya type of PPV numbers anymore. Maybe with Canelo but that's all I really see it as. Things change though.

boxing isn't dead. it's just not that cared for or talked about enough

Comment

Nothing much has changed, out with the old, in with the new. It's the way it's been since the beginning. New superstars will emerge and replace their faded counterparts. Remember that the superstars who are around today were at one time nobodies earlier in their careers. It's the cycle of life and the circle of squared.

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLine View Post
        Nothing much has changed, out with the old, in with the new. It's the way it's been since the beginning. New superstars will emerge and replace their faded counterparts. Remember that the superstars who are around today were at one time nobodies earlier in their careers. It's the cycle of life and the circle of squared.
        but pac and floyd were doing impressive ppv numbers before they blew up to full blown superstars

Comment

Emanuel Steward - "We don't have too many really top attractions in Boxing today. The fact that everyone is looking forward to this big super-fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao which may or may not ever happen. And beyond that you say, What would be next big fight that everyone would wanna see: There's Nothing."

Comment

People have been saying boxing will die after 'x boxer' since Jack Dempsey, maybe even John L. Sullivan.

I'm sure B-Hop will be good for another 10 years or so. So there's always that.

Comment

Not at all. It may not been what it once was. A good example is this weekend. I have fights on Showtime this Friday and fights on EPIX, HBO, Showtime and Telefutura Saturday. Friday and Saturday are prime viewing times for the public and Major networks like HBO and Showtime have boxing on during their prime time line up! If boxing was hurting that badly, it would only be on unknown cable channels.

Admitedly boxing has seen better days, but it still remains a major draw.

Comment

Originally posted by negged View Post
                but pac and floyd were doing impressive ppv numbers before they blew up to full blown superstars
                Mayweather turned pro in 1996. He made his PPV debut against Arturo Gatti in 2005. He fought professionally for 9 years without headlining a PPV.

And Pacquiao started in 1995, fighting in the Philippines for 6 years before heading over to the US. If I remember, he didn't make his PPV debut until 2003 or 2004.

Comment

**** this argument, when people talk about the "golden days" they're only remembering the great fights/fighters and like you do when you recollect on something....you forget all the dull sheeeiit.
                  In 20 years from now we will look back to this time and go..."wow, when Audley Harrison retired for the 14th time..that was a day we lost a HW great. All these current HW's suck in comparison".

Comment

I find myself going out and getting drunk than sitting in and watching the big fights recently, maybe it's just me

Comment

Working...
                    X