No announcement yet.

How long does Calzaghe last vs Benn

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fitefanSHO View Post
    Calzaghe outclasses Benn and beats him easily by UD.
    LOL, aren't you the guy that got owned in NSB when you claimed that Berto and Ortiz was a draw and you gave a joke of a breakdown? I remember partaking in that thread and asking myself "What fight was this guy watching?"

Now you are claiming an "easy UD" for Calzaghe, which is insulting to say that anybody would easily UD Benn that isn't Roy Jones Jr, and even then it wouldn't be "easy."

Comment

What an incredible fight.

Comment

Benn obviously was in there with the tougher version of Eubanks then Calzaghe went against, which should be no surprise there. He also beat up Gimenez before Joe did. The one thing I really do give Joe a lot of credit for it his hand speed which gives fighters problems but that's because of volume, he sacrifices power for volume but their just slaps. If the hand speed was lop sided in favor of Joe I might favor him but Benn was a ****in wolf, only really lost to fighters who could hit just as hard as him. If you couldn't hurt him he would break him and brutally stop you.

Like I said I don't think Joe has the overwhelming hand speed advantage he's had in the past in a fight like this, and old Hopkins & Jones Jr were able to put him on his ass, once Benn lands Joe is going to sleep.

I'd say 6th round. Joe might be leading on the scorecards but once Nigel lands he's done.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
          LOL, aren't you the guy that got owned in NSB when you claimed that Berto and Ortiz was a draw and you gave a joke of a breakdown? I remember partaking in that thread and asking myself "What fight was this guy watching?"

Now you are claiming an "easy UD" for Calzaghe, which is insulting to say that anybody would easily UD Benn that isn't Roy Jones Jr, and even then it wouldn't be "easy."
          By posting this thread, you willfully elicited opinion.

Opinions that may be in contradiction to your own.

You have mine.

Calzaghe was a master boxer, Benn was a limited brawler.

Calzaghe > Benn

Calzaghe W-UD12 Benn (easily)

Comment

http://www.boxingscene.com/nigel-ben...jones-jr--5820

+

““Joe struggled against nobodies. But when he stepped up in class to fight the likes of Jeff Lacy, for instance, he made them look like nobodies. I’d have loved him to have been around in my heyday. I’ll be honest enough to admit I think he would have beaten me — he’d have been in a fight though. Old timers will tell you he would never have lived with Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler or Tommy ‘Hitman’ Hearns. I disagree — Joe would have beaten them all. How many fighters would love to finish with a record like Joe’s? Outside of Wales I don’t think he got the recognition he deserved. Forty six fights unbeaten is a heck of an achievement. I don’t think we will ever see his like again."

Nigel Benn, February 2009

Comment

Prime Eubank would give Joe more problems than a prime Benn.

Those saying Joe easy UD have probably never watched much of Benn.
              Those saying Benn KO have probably based it on the Hopkins and Jones Jr fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
                Benn obviously was in there with the tougher version of Eubanks then Calzaghe went against, which should be no surprise there. He also beat up Gimenez before Joe did. The one thing I really do give Joe a lot of credit for it his hand speed which gives fighters problems but that's because of volume, he sacrifices power for volume but their just slaps. If the hand speed was lop sided in favor of Joe I might favor him but Benn was a ****in wolf, only really lost to fighters who could hit just as hard as him. If you couldn't hurt him he would break him and brutally stop you.

Like I said I don't think Joe has the overwhelming hand speed advantage he's had in the past in a fight like this, and old Hopkins & Jones Jr were able to put him on his ass, once Benn lands Joe is going to sleep.

I'd say 6th round. Joe might be leading on the scorecards but once Nigel lands he's done.
                Benn had power, but he was not polished.

Sorry but Calzaghe got dropped by a damn forearm VS Roy.

Calzaghe has been dropped 5 times I believe, but he always got up. People don't know how much heart Joe has. His chin is strong.

Benn has lost to boxers himself. Someone called Michael Waton who trained 4 miles from me outboxed him. Indeed he went to the US to improve.

All I can say is, Benn is not KO'ing Calzaghe.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
                  This is comical. A guy like Benn who has fought wars with Eubank and a drag out war with McClellan and always fought guys at the top of their game would get beat by "easy UD" by Joe Calzaghe who has beaten "who" again?

Come on guys. Anybody who says easy UD has got to be delusional. No question who the better fighter is in this matchup.

I'm shocked at some responses, but then again, not really. I am wondering which Calzaghe win or performance is leading you to believe this. Was it getting dropped and having a war with Roy Jones who was shot to pieces and had nothing left and was dismantled by Danny Green? Or was it his performances against washed up euro bums?

Benn's resume, record, and tape speaks for itself, as does Calzaghes. Calzaghe had done nothing throughout his career that shows he has the skills, heart, or chin to take on a beast like Nigel Benn.
                  Dropped by Roy's forearm, and a war?

Joe won 11 rounds.

Sorry but Joe at that stage was out of prime himself.

Joe fought to the level of his opponents often.

I am a big Benn fan, my first fight ever was VS Mcclellan which got me into boxing (I was very young) and since I have watched numerous tapes (Yeah he's that old ) LOL.

Benn is one of my favourite fighters, he had power, speed, heart and listening to him in interviews, man he is intense.

However on style, Joe has a style that would give Benn a lot of problem. High workrate, movement and a chin.

Comment

No fighter has ever made BHOP look as pedestrian and helpless as Calzaghe did. Calzaghe did better than Pascal, Tarver, Taylor, Pavlik, he was such a problem that Hopkins was faking low blows just to recover from the punishment.

ANd yes I do rank the 2008 BHOP over the 1993 BHOP that Jones beat. Hopkins was green, drained and hadnt started cycling steroids yet.

Comment

Originally posted by fitefanSHO View Post
                      By posting this thread, you willfully elicited opinion.

Opinions that may be in contradiction to your own.

You have mine.

Calzaghe was a master boxer, Benn was a limited brawler.

Calzaghe > Benn

Calzaghe W-UD12 Benn (easily)
                      lmao! The bold is amusing.

I did elect opinion, just figure how much salt to take with yours, as it's obvious when you watch boxing something is not right, as was obvious in your scoring and breakdown of Berto vs Ortiz. I'll take one grain please.

Comment

Working...
                      X