Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holyfield the Dirtiest Fighter with one ear??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If ever there was a weight division that goes easier on fighters using questionable tactics - heavyweight is it.

After all, it's one thing to intervene as a referee between a couple of energetic featherweights, welterweights or even super-middles leading with their heads, elbows etc.

But it's something else entirely to venture into harm's way between two guys standing six-feet something and weighing 250lbs who are swinging wrecking balls at each other. Especially when you are a fifty-something grandpa with a paunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      So deliberately biting, I guess is a good way to get back at him, by getting himself disqualified? Good thinking on his part.
      I've been headbutted while sparring.. It short circuits the brain and brings on an instant reactionary temper.. Especially, if it happens repeatedly.. And, Im sure the butts I'd recieved were not as nearly as strong as what Tyson went through..

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
        I've been headbutted while sparring.. It short circuits the brain and brings on an instant reactionary temper.. Especially, if it happens repeatedly.. And, Im sure the butts I'd recieved were not as nearly as strong as what Tyson went through..
        I dont think it was just the headbutts. tyson was frustrated because holyfield wasnt going down and was pressuring him. he also tried to break botha's arm in a fight that wasnt going his way at the beginning and botha wasnt butting or fouling him. there's no excuse to bite half a guys ear off. ive regained some respect for tyson since that fight but that was a pathetic display back then

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
          I dont think it was just the headbutts. tyson was frustrated because holyfield wasnt going down and was pressuring him. he also tried to break botha's arm in a fight that wasnt going his way at the beginning and botha wasnt butting or fouling him. there's no excuse to bite half a guys ear off. ive regained some respect for tyson since that fight but that was a pathetic display back then
          I agree. I still don't understand why he didn't foul Holyfield back properly, like elbows(which he was great at in his prime lol) or low blows like what happened against Ruddock, and some wonder why he didn't headbutt back but a guy dazed from headbutts already won't want to try that.

Anything but biting would have been proper. But watch how Evan's dear friend Mills Lane would then dock points from Tyson while Holyfield would still not even get a warning

Comment

I agree that those were all factors.

Comment

Originally posted by jack p View Post
              A number of Holyfields opponents including Foreman have said Evanders the dirtiest fighter they have ever fought...Mike Tyson when asked why he bit Evanders ear ..Stated Evander was constantly fouling him and referee Mills Lane (A Holyfield family friend ) was ignoring it and he became frustrated..
              Whats your guy's take and nominees' for "dirty fighter ever
              So Tyson repeatedly in many fights tries to break people's arms in clinches, bites a chunk out of Holyfield's ear ... and Holy is dirtier?

"peeleft:

Comment

Going into the first Tyson fight I doubt anyone considered Holyfield as dirty as Tyson. Indeed, I doubt anyone thought he was dirty at all.

On the other hand, Tyson was attracting complaints about his elbows in his TEENS.

Clearly Holyfield became rougher as he got older. But I think a lot of that is down to him being a blown up cruiser trying to establish himself against bigger and more physical guys.

There's no way he could have fought the same way he did at cruiser. He would have been crushed like an empty beer can.

Comment

there's no excuse to bite half a guys ear off.
                  Yes there is. You can't get the whole ear in your mouth wearing a mouthpiece.

Comment

Of the modern guys Casamayor was far dirtier than most of the guys being mentioned so far.

Comment

My Dad said after the fight being Mike is from the streets he had a mentality such as.. Butt me once OK.. Butt me twice OK no prob.. But, if you butt me continuously Im gonna freaking try to chomp your ear off..

Comment

Working...
                      X