Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Nonito Donaire-Jeffrey Mathebula: Pre-Fight Report Card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Nonito Donaire-Jeffrey Mathebula: Pre-Fight Report Card

by Cliff Rold - If only it were always this easy.

Nonito Donaire wins a belt at 122 lbs. in February. Jeffrey Mathebula wins one in March. In search of opponents, they turn to each other.

In a division without a true champion since Israel Vazquez vacated his crown, the road to unification begins and, maybe, the beginning of another memorable era at Jr. featherweight does as well.

The pieces are in place. The division leader in absentia, Toshiaki Nishioka, will be at ringside to challenge the winner. While Nishioka was forced to give up his WBC belt due to a layoff (of less than a year), his wins over Jhonny Gonzalez and Rafael Marquez are not forgotten.

Also not forgotten is a supporting cast that includes Abner Mares (now with that WBC belt), WBA titlist Guillermo Rigondeaux, and likely to rise WBA bantamweight titlist Anselmo Moreno. Nishioka and Mathebula are the most veteran of the crew, but neither are past peak. These men, and others rising around them, can be mixed and matched for a couple of years and make every round count. [Click Here To Read More]

I like the pick Cliff. Mathebula is a tough customer and Donaire will have his hands full.

It might turn out that Mathebula wins more rounds but Donaire gets the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post
      I like the pick Cliff. Mathebula is a tough customer and Donaire will have his hands full.

It might turn out that Mathebula wins more rounds but Donaire gets the decision.
      If this goes the distance and ends in a robbery, no shock. I try not to let that cynicism creep in and make picks based on what I think will happen in the ring. He can't get caught early; if he does, Donaire can nuke him. Good match.

Comment

I always pay Attention to El Roids Picks, and Opimions!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jbpanama View Post
          I always pay Attention to El Roids Picks, and Opimions!!!

Mathebula gave Caballero a very tough fight.

He's definitely game tonight.

Comment

if anyone's getting robbed its Donaire. One of the judges is South African

Comment

Well I picked Nonito but I like the break away from the crowd, Cliff

Should be interesting.

Comment

Working...
              X