No announcement yet.

Prince Naseem Hamed doesnt get his just due and never will

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
    I do agree with you he could have been better but we really cant dwell on shoulda coulda woulda...just look at what he did as fighter. If he did have a different trainer he was better with his technique he would lose some of his best attribute....unpredictability and being unorthodox..

.I think by the time he got to Barrera it was not really skill and ability, it was preparation and arrogance...he didnt train as hard as he used to in the 90's, didnt throw in combination anymore depending on his power, and also didnt show the reflexes and movement that made him who he was

in his prime from 1995-1999 he looks totally different than when he fought after
    That unpredictability and his unorthodox style for me would only ever have been successful against the type of lesser fighters that made up the vast majority of his opponents.

In his prime I only really remember him having three fights of note. When he first won the title against Robinson (who had been beaten quite a few times by then already and lets face it, wasn't that great anyway) and the fights against Johnson and Kelley who were both past their prime.

I agree with what you say about movement and combinations but I think Barrera had too much of an understanding of boxing fundamentals to come unstuck against Hamed.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post

^^^^ look pictures showing a boxer getting punched in a boxing match ground breaking phenomenon right there keep up the good work.
      Last edited by -Lowkey-; 05-21-2012, 05:25 PM.

Comment

A listened to this a while back. Manny Steward talks about his time working with Naz. It's well worth a look.

http://www.**********boxingradio.com...ight%E2%80%9D/

Comment

Originally posted by Stokely View Post
          That unpredictability and his unorthodox style for me would only ever have been successful against the type of lesser fighters that made up the vast majority of his opponents.

In his prime I only really remember him having three fights of note. When he first won the title against Robinson (who had been beaten quite a few times by then already and lets face it, wasn't that great anyway) and the fights against Johnson and Kelley who were both past their prime.

I agree with what you say about movement and combinations but I think Barrera had too much of an understanding of boxing fundamentals to come unstuck against Hamed.
          We could nitpick everyone's competition like that...Kelly only had one loss at the time and was 29/30, I agree Robinson wasnt that good, but Tom Johnson was past prime but had racking up title defenses and was on the best run of his career when he faced Hamed and got beat, Vuyani Bungu and Wilfredo Vazquez were very good fighters as well....Hamed wasnt in his prime when he lost to Barrera so one loss erases everything he did?

In retrospect, he beat every titlist of his time and was lineal champion at 126 for 4 years and only 37 fights beat 9 champions, thats pretty impressive....he is the last dominant featherweight champion their has been in a longtime

Comment

Originally posted by Sifo Dyas View Post
            ^^^ same guy
            Excuse me?

Comment

One of the greatest feathers of all time for sure. Not sure about top10 but i really don't have a set list for this weight so maybe I'm wrong.

Extremely good athlete.

Comment

Resume is below average, he was very entertaining, im a big fan though

Comment

Originally posted by Chups View Post
                  He will never make HOF. But then again.......if McGuigan did, what's not to stop?
                  I'd bet he will. Probably first ballot unless there are a lot of entrants.

Comment

The most overrated fighter of all-time doesn't get his due?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
                      The most overrated fighter of all-time doesn't get his due?
                      Why bring up Mike Tyson in a Nas thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X