Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMAZING doc about the Tragic Nigel Benn v Gerald McClellan Fight - must see!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heavyfist View Post
    McClellan looked soooo good. Fast powerful, boxing skills, he had it all.

What do you think of the possibility of Nigel being on Peds? From his interviews he keeps swearing, " He has never been on steroids during a fight."

He doesn't really say he never took them, just never during a fight. It seems like the rationale of someone cycling PEDs.
    I've actually never heard Nigel say it. Do you have a link to maybe an interview or a video where it is mentioned?

Comment

Benin showed no class after the fight and didn't seem interested in Gerald's condition emotions were running high as he was big underdog but still.......what a tit a was glad Benin won at the time cause I was just a kid but older a got a watched Gerald's fights great fighter

Comment

That still aint a documentary all you posted was the full fight

Comment

Just think. If the ref didnt save Benn in the first rd none of the tragedy would have occurred. Thats why bias in boxing can have such a profound effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
            I've actually never heard Nigel say it. Do you have a link to maybe an interview or a video where it is mentioned?
            Good god, I am an idiot. I am at work and keep pasting the wrong link! I have fixed it. Nigel Benn adresses all the PED rumors.

Originally posted by -Weltschmerz- View Post
            Another interesting thing is, Nigel Benn passed out right before drug testing, which some people think he faked to get out of the testing.

That still aint a documentary all you posted was the full fight
            Sorry, here it is. My mind is not working well today. It is the most heartbreaking boxing doctumentary/story I have ever seen.

It highlights why boxing is so incredible yet sad.
            Last edited by Heavyfist; 01-20-2015, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Machine View Post
              Just think. If the ref didnt save Benn in the first rd none of the tragedy would have occurred. Thats why bias in boxing can have such a profound effect.
              It's just so sad. He should've gotten the win in the first round. The French ref messed up big time.

I also never realized how Gerald was essentially not fighting with a trainer. The guy in his trainer was just for help, Gerald was his own trainer after firing Steward!

His hands weren't even wrapped correctly. So important to have someone who is looking out for you in your corner.

Originally posted by -Weltschmerz- View Post
              The ending to this is just so gut wrenching. This is just one of the most incredible stories in sport i have seen.

Comment

Painful fight to watch in hindsight. Gerald just eating so many clean shots, particularly Nigel's lefts. Don King really showing what a POS he was. Gerald moving up from MW to SMW, and not really prepared for this. He had 3 significant fights at MW (Jackson 2x, Mugabi), just not prepared to go fight someone like Benn. Then a complete mess after the fight, where they seemed unprepared to help Gerald. Fast forward to the Abdusalamov fight and we still haven't learned how to handle situations like this, from ref/corners recognizing when to stop the fights to medical personal failing to respond.

Comment

Gerald's trainer for the Benn fight never owned up to anything in that video and that whole "steroids" rant by Benn was hilarious. "I didn't do no drugths...if you say exstacy I'll put my hand up."

Anyways, that was a crazy fight and despite Gerald's past actions, the end result is pretty terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by porknchili View Post
                    Gerald's trainer for the Benn fight never owned up to anything in that video and that whole "steroids" rant by Benn was hilarious. "I didn't do no drugths...if you say exstacy I'll put my hand up."

Anyways, that was a crazy fight and despite Gerald's past actions, the end result is pretty terrible.
                    Geralds trainer seems quite incompetent. Gerald was giving him advice how to train himself! It is sad, but Mclellan was completely wrong to fire Steward.

Man, I completely agree, very painful. He was wrong to go to this weight class.

The guy lost his vision, 80% of his hearing, and can make basically no new memories. Always in a state of perpetual darkness. And no boxers have visited him, not even once.

The one thing I will give Geralds trainer is, its tough to know when to throw in the towel. His point is, Gerald hadn't been dropped and was winning the fight. Imagine if he did throw in the towel, ppl would've been pissed off.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavyfist View Post
                      Geralds trainer seems quite incompetent. Gerald was giving him advice how to train himself! It is sad, but Mclellan was completely wrong to fire Steward.

Man, I completely agree, very painful. He was wrong to go to this weight class.

The guy lost his vision, 80% of his hearing, and can make basically no new memories. Always in a state of perpetual darkness. And no boxers have visited him, not even once.

The one thing I will give Geralds trainer is, its tough to know when to throw in the towel. His point is, Gerald hadn't been dropped and was winning the fight. Imagine if he did throw in the towel, ppl would've been pissed off.
                      Didn't Roy eventually visit him? I know he supported him & his sisters, but I thought he eventually paid him a visit?

Comment

Working...
                      X