No announcement yet.

Henry Armstrong vs Billy Conn Middleweight bout

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry Armstrong vs Billy Conn Middleweight bout

Armstrong had one fight at the weight and was robbed, billy was a great middleweight beating the likes of Teddy Yarosz and Young Corbett III. It would of been a great clash of styles armstrongs non stop attack against conn's fancy footwork. I would not been surprised if henry beat a middleweight billy, would conn be able to get in rythm?
    Last edited by cotto16; 04-21-2009, 08:39 PM.

Originally posted by cotto16 View Post
    Armstrong had one fight at the weight and was robbed, billy was a great middleweight beating the likes of Teddy Yarosz and Young Corbett III. It would of been a great clash of styles armstrongs non stop attack against conn's fancy footwork. I would not been surprised if heny beat a middleweight billy, would conn be able to get in rythm?
    Conn is bigger, stronger, faster and more skilled than Garcia was. P4p, Armstrong is the better fighter, but he's in over his head here. Henry never stops trying, but he hasn't got the fire power to hurt Billy. Conn by UD.

Comment

Wasn't this match-up posted recently?

I wouldn't call the Garcia fight a robbery, it was reasonably close. In any case Garcia himself was a welter who moved up and both were fighting well below the middleweight limit.

Anyway I agree with Jab. Armstrong, though a phenomenon, would be seriously over-matched against Conn, who would walk through him.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
        Wasn't this match-up posted recently?

I wouldn't call the Garcia fight a robbery, it was reasonably close. In any case Garcia himself was a welter who moved up and both were fighting well below the middleweight limit.

Anyway I agree with Jab. Armstrong, though a phenomenon, would be seriously over-matched against Conn, who would walk through him.
        Your letting billys weight get in the way to much, and i read an biography on armstrong the guy would push lightheavies and heavyweights back in sparring, in his prime he was a freak of nature, in the book there is a story when henry is geting ready to fight gacia for the title, a guy in the gym jokes and says at this rate hank the way your collecting belts you could be fighting joe louis soon, hank turns round and said i would fight joe louis right now! thats the type of fighter armstrong was! he was a different type of animal

Comment

Your letting billys weight get in the way to much, and i read an biography on armstrong the guy would push lightheavies and heavyweights back in sparring, in his prime he was a freak of nature, in the book there is a story when henry is geting ready to fight gacia for the title, a guy in the gym jokes and says at this rate hank the way your collecting belts you could be fighting joe louis soon, hank turns round and said i would fight joe louis right now! thats the type of fighter armstrong was! he was a different type of animal
          Besides weight, Conn also hs almost 8 inches in height on Armstrong. He is by far bigger than anyboby Hank has ever faced and an all time great fighter himself. If armstrong struggled with the likes of Zivic and Garcia, he'd be in trouble aginst a guy who was only stopped 3 times in 77 fights, and two of those times were to the mighty Joe Louis. A guy with fast hands and feet who was much bigger than him.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            Besides weight, Conn also hs almost 8 inches in height on Armstrong. He is by far bigger than anyboby Hank has ever faced and an all time great fighter himself. If armstrong struggled with the likes of Zivic and Garcia, he'd be in trouble aginst a guy who was only stopped 3 times in 77 fights, and two of those times were to the mighty Joe Louis. A guy with fast hands and feet who was much bigger than him.
            Conn was at his best a lightheavy, this match up is a 160, he was good at middleweight, but i dont think he was great at the weight. I think the heny would got robbed against garcia beats a middleweight conn

Comment

Conn was at his best a lightheavy, this match up is a 160, he was good at middleweight, but i dont think he was great at the weight. I think the heny would got robbed against garcia beats a middleweight conn
              First of all my friend, Armstrong was in a very close fight with Garcia, as had been their previous fight at 47. Second, besides being much bigger, Conn beat a better overall class of middleweights including Krieger, Yarosz, Dundee, Risko, Zivic and Cobett III. I fail to see how you think this would go Armstrongs way.

Comment

Are we talking about the same Billy Conn that, while weighing under the LHW limit, outboxed the more than 25 lb heavier, prime Joe Louis for 12 rounds, before getting cocky (and stupid?)

Like has been said, Armstrong is much better p4p, but is also 8 inches shorter, and was at his best at Lightweight.
                Last edited by Jim Jeffries; 04-21-2009, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  First of all my friend, Armstrong was in a very close fight with Garcia, as had been their previous fight at 47. Second, besides being much bigger, Conn beat a better overall class of middleweights including Krieger, Yarosz, Dundee, Risko, Zivic and Cobett III. I fail to see how you think this would go Armstrongs way.
                  The fighters you named are a class above former middleweight champion garcia?

Comment

The fighters you named are a class above former middleweight champion garcia?
                    All except Zivic and Risko who were on par or close to par with Garcia.

How can you argue if you don't know the fighters these men have faced?

Comment

Working...
                    X