Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More skilled: Pernell Whitaker or Ricardo Lopez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
    I think Whitaker was better, but Lopez probably was more well rounded and had better boxing skills. Like others have said, Whitaker had the athleticism to make his style work and proved his value against better fighters.
    The only one who said that was SCTROJANS. And I wouldn't take anything he says about Whitaker seriously. Besides that, Whitaker did not and could not only rely on athleticism to do what he did. He had plenty of techniques and he used them.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      The only one who said that was SCTROJANS. And I wouldn't take anything he says about Whitaker seriously. Besides that, Whitaker did not and could not only rely on athleticism to do what he did. He had plenty of techniques and he used them.
      You're taking my post out of context and misinterpreting it. That sentence had two parts. The other part was saying he proved his skills against better comp which isn't what SCTrojans was saying. And I'm not implying that Whitaker didn't have skills. But he also had great reflexes, handspeed, and lateral movement which let him pull off stunts that other fighters couldn't. Lopez had less of those intangibles but a ton of textbook boxing skill.

Comment

Separating skill and athletic gifts gets very blurry.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
          Whitaker did not use technique, and he fought one way. He just had the athleticism to make it work for him.
          disagree. Whitaker was fast but nothing next level about his speed. He just had amazing reflexes and eyes.

Comment

Lopez skills were truely exceptional but Whitaker proved solid so many times against solid competition. I say Sweet P but with hesitation.

Comment

Whitaker without a second thought for me. He fought the better competition and Lopez was too reluctant to move up in weight for my satisfaction.

Comment

Are you simply comparing skills? Not proven adaptable talent but raws skills?

Comment

Finito was a more well rounded fighter and did not have to rely solely on reflexes and head movement. imo.

Comment

Lopez more skilled, Whitaker more naturally/athletically talented.

Comment

Working...
                    X