Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd always at a size disadvantage (myth)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd always at a size disadvantage (myth)

I always had an impression that Floyd was the smaller guy fighting bigger men, and while it might be true when it comes to weight on fight night i've looked at boxrec and compared height and reach advantage to see if how often Floyd was at a physical size disadvantage. I didn't want to waste to much time so i compiled a list of all the fights he fought starting with ODLH and surprisingly enough i didn't find floyd to have the size disparity i thought he had when fighting some of these guys. Actually when it comes to reach, he had the advantage over everyone except ODLH. Anyways interesting stuff i think. Formatting probably going to be messed up but hopefully it can be easy to decipher

information is as following. opponent height, reach, advantage in height, advantage in reach.

Floyd Height and Reach
    5'8" 72"
    Berto 5' 6.5" 68.5" 1.5 inchs Floyd 3.5 inches Floyd
    Manny 6'5.5" 67" 2.5 inchs Floyd 5 inchs Floyd
    Marcos Maidana 5'7" 69" 1 inch Floyd 3 inchs Floyd
    Saul Alvarez 5'9" 70" 1 inch Alvarez 2 inchs Floyd
    Robert G 5'8" 70" even 2 inchs Floyd
    Miguel Cotto 5'7" 67" 1 inch Floyd 5 inchs Floyd
    Victor Ortiz 5'9" 70" 1 inch Victor Ortiz 2 inchs Floyd
    Shane Mosley 5'8.5" 71" .5 inchs Shane 1 inch floyd
    JMM 5'7" 67" 1 inch Floyd 5 inchs Floyd
    Ricky Hotton 5,7.5" 65' .5 inchs floyd 7 inchs floyd
    Oscar DelaHoya 5'10.5" 73' 2.5 inchs Oscar 1 inch Oscar

Size = weight, we have weight divisions not height and reach divisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
      Size = weight, we have weight divisions not height and reach divisions.
      some of these posters are a little...derp derp....So a guy turns pro at 130 and below and is the bigger guy fighting @ 147 and 154?

size is mass...mass involves weight....thats like saying hearns was bigger than iran barkely ebcause he was taller n longer...lol hearns turned pro between 140-147 and Barkley was a MFing middleweight from day 1...dudes are slow in this forum

Comment

Floyd isnt that big, he just has a long reach. Most guys looked bigger than him in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
          some of these posters are a little...derp derp....So a guy turns pro at 130 and below and is the bigger guy fighting @ 147 and 154?

size is mass...mass involves weight....thats like saying hearns was bigger than iran barkely ebcause he was taller n longer...lol hearns turned pro between 140-147 and Barkley was a MFing middleweight from day 1...dudes are slow in this forum
          take it like you want, floyd was rarely at a size disadvantage and likely rarely at weight disadvantage either. I can only work with Data that is available. Floyd rarely provided his weight fight night.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ. View Post
            Floyd isnt that big, he just has a long reach. Most guys looked bigger than him in the ring.
            he was generally taller then majority of the fighters he faced since Oscar.

Comment

So what are you saying we should have height and reach divisions?

In order to level the playing field they should have requested a Catch-height and a catch-reach from Floyd?

Zolani Tete is taller and has a longer reach than Floyd? Should he move up to welterweight?

Maybe with these reach and height divisions, we can have Jeffrey Mathebula fight Terrence Crawford since they both always fight shorter and stubbier fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Irony123 View Post
                take it like you want, floyd was rarely at a size disadvantage and likely rarely at weight disadvantage either. I can only work with Data that is available. Floyd rarely provided his weight fight night.
                all you have to do is look it up....stop being lazy...there are fights where they have both fighters unofficial weights before the fight

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                  So what are you saying we should have height and reach divisions?

In order to level the playing field they should have requested a Catch-height and a catch-reach from Floyd?

Zolani Tete is taller and has a longer reach than Floyd? Should he move up to welterweight?

Maybe with these reach and height divisions, we can have Jeffrey Mathebula fight Terrence Crawford since they both always fight shorter and stubbier fighters.
                  no i didn't say that, i just said he was rarely at a size disadvantage. am i slandering him or something? why is everyone up in arms getting so defensive as if i just made up a bunch of hateful ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Irony123 View Post
                    he was generally taller then majority of the fighters he faced since Oscar.
                    taller doesnt mean bigger. Look at canelo and khan for example khan is a little taller but you can clearly see canelo is the bigger guy.

Comment

Working...
                    X