Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soviet/Eastern European heavyweights dominating 60s/70s era? Myth Busted!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
    Agree.

Prepare for war when Elroy arrives.
    I'm waiting on it.

He's been saying it a lot so let's hear his comeback or find out whether it just stems from the admitted hatred he has against Ali and Frazier.

Comment

In 1960 the Soviet light heavyweight was injured and the boxer Ali fought Gennady Shatkov was a 5'8 middleweight who moved up on short notice. In the finals the Polish fighter Pietrzykowski arguably won and the fights on youtube for anyone to watch. Your mastery of the subject matter is first class.

Comment

Originally posted by Khmelnytsky View Post
        In 1960 the Soviet light heavyweight was injured and the boxer Ali fought Gennady Shatkov was a 5'8 middleweight who moved up on short notice. In the finals the Polish fighter Pietrzykowski arguably won and the fights on youtube for anyone to watch. Your mastery of the subject matter is first class.
        It's true that he moved up from middlweight.

The polish guy clearly lost the fight against Ali. But as you say,
        It's there for everyone to see on YouTube.

Comment

The biggest difference between the Euro & Russian boxers compared to the USA boxers back then was the mental side not the physical aspect.
          The Russians tried to be technically perfect and tried to be deliberate and precise.
          The USA fighters were taught to relax and be agressive when they could be. Don't be second be first with the jab and follow up quickly. Another words take the lead and back up the Russians because their best skill set was always moving up not back. You'll see most back up in a straight line and hardly ever step out or pivot. They simply had the "old" teachings from the stand up straight days of Willard. They were simply years behind in teaching the modern way set up by Mr. Blackburn and continued on at the Olympic Training Center in 60 by Mr. Menendez and again in 72 through 76 by people like Mr. Nappi.
          I know these things because I was the Junior Olympic Region One trainer at the new center from 1979 to 1984. (I carried on Mr. Nappi's approach there and in my own gym in New Haven/Hamden Conn.

It's not like the Russians and Euro's were bad it's that threy were behind the Americans in their Methods that made their Techniques to old.
          You can see the improvement by those cultures watching Wlad being taught by Manny and a young experienced amateur learn much more from Abel in GGG training in Calif. USA. Look at Koval growing living in Miami Fl USA because the training and atmosphere is terrific.
          The best trainers are here, the best sparring is here and the best fights are here!
          You can win all the fights you want to in Milan or Frankfurt or London but eventually you need to be in NYC or Vegas and theres not one fighter from there who won't say thats where they want to go to. Not one!!!I know I handled fighters all over Europe and was treated very well but Milan doesn't co,mpare to the Garden in NYC.
          Ray Corso
          Last edited by Ray Corso; 02-24-2015, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              The biggest difference between the Euro & Russian boxers compared to the USA boxers back then was the mental side not the physical aspect.
              The Russians tried to be technically perfect and tried to be deliberate and precise.
              The USA fighters were taught to relax and be agressive when they could be. Don't be second be first with the jab and follow up quickly. Another words take the lead and back up the Russians because their best skill set was always moving up not back. You'll see most back up in a straight line and hardly ever step out or pivot. They simply had the "old" teachings from the stand up straight days of Willard. They were simply years behind in teaching the modern way set up by Mr. Blackburn and continued on at the Olympic Training Center in 60 by Mr. Menendez and again in 72 through 76 by people like Mr. Nappi.
              I know these things because I was the Junior Olympic Region One trainer at the new center from 1979 to 1984. (I carried on Mr. Nappi's approach there and in my own gym in New Haven/Hamden Conn.

It's not like the Russians and Euro's were bad it's that threy were behind the Americans in their Methods that made their Techniques to old.
              You can see the improvement by those cultures watching Wlad being taught by Manny and a young experienced amateur learn much more from Abel in GGG training in Calif. USA. Look at Koval growing living in Miami Fl USA because the training and atmosphere is terrific.
              The best trainers are here, the best sparring is here and the best fights are here!
              You can win all the fights you want to in Milan or Frankfurt or London but eventually you need to be in NYC or Vegas and theres not one fighter from there who won't say thats where they want to go to. Not one!!!I know I handled fighters all over Europe and was treated very well but Milan doesn't co,mpare to the Garden in NYC.
              Ray Corso
              Beautiful Ray, beautiful. Green k sent.

Comment

Originally posted by Khmelnytsky View Post
                Are you saying that in the hope that no one actually bothers to watch the fight? Ali clearly won the Olympic final.

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh Jon View Post
                  Are you saying that in the hope that no one actually bothers to watch the fight? Ali clearly won the Olympic final.
                  I don't know why he said that.

it was a clear win which nobody ever disputed.

Comment

So Vitali/Wlad wouldn't beat anyone from the 60s/70s because the past boxing programs of their heritage were in their infancy in the 50s? Were they expected to dominate from day 1? Now the situations have reversed - American amateur boxing is weak, thus Americans have weaker HWs, while the amateur program of Ukraine is now producing some of the sports best prospects.

Comment

Originally posted by Foreign Soil View Post
                      So Vitali/Wlad wouldn't beat anyone from the 60s/70s because the past boxing programs of their heritage were in their infancy in the 50s? Were they expected to dominate from day 1? Now the situations have reversed - American amateur boxing is weak, thus Americans have weaker HWs, while the amateur program of Ukraine is now producing some of the sports best prospects.
                      Well yes. Just accept that the boxing landscape has changed.

Comment

Working...
                      X