No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: BScene’s 2012 Year End Awards: Robbery Of the Year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: BScene’s 2012 Year End Awards: Robbery Of the Year

By Jake Donovan - The outcome appeared to be so obvious that many were already pondering Manny Pacquiao’s next move following his 12-round welterweight bout with Tim Bradley on June 9 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. There was enough time to kill between the final bell and Michael Buffer’s reading of the official scorecards to take in the 12 rounds of action and assess Pacquiao’s performance and career.

Opinions were already being formed while awaiting the final scores to be read. Some suggested Pacquiao hadn’t looked this good since his Nov. ’09 stoppage win against Miguel Cotto. Others noted the lack of major buzz surrounding the event, wondering if interest in his career had grown a tad stale. And of course, the obligatory hypothetical questions posed on the possibility of a showdown with Floyd Mayweather ever happening.

For all of the questions asked, few if any involved Tim Bradley. It was just naturally assumed that the Californian had suffered the first loss of his career. His lack of marketability was noted in the waning pre-fight buzz compared to previous Pacquiao events. The best guess was that he would simply return to the 140 lb. division, and await whatever notable assignment is offered to him. [Click Here To Read More]

can't argue that

Comment

I agree with much of the article except for the reference to Adamek/Cunningham. That wasn't even close to being a legitimate "robbery." The term robbery has officially, once and for all, permanently been rendered insignificant and illegitimate. They killed it in 0-12'. Level headed fans and pundits have been trying to keep this from happening from years. They failed.

Comment

Cloud-Campillo

Comment

I favor Campillo vs Cloud as the worst robbery not because of the scoring, but because it robbed Campillo of his future. This is the worst type of robbery because it has life altering consequences. As a Spanish fighter with little potential to have a fanbase in the states due to his nationality, a belt is the only way to financially secure himself in boxing. Otherwise he's just a high risk low reward fighter that nobody wants to fight. Cloud gets to have a huge fight against Hopkins on HBO because of that belt while Campillo has to start all over and settle for Sergey Kovalev on NBC Sports. The fact that this isn't the first time that this happened to him makes it especially bad.

Pacquiao getting robbed, while it got major media attention, isn't really a big deal. Pacquiao will continue making millions as if it never happened.
          Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 01-03-2013, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
            I agree with much of the article except for the reference to Adamek/Cunningham. That wasn't even close to being a legitimate "robbery." The term robbery has officially, once and for all, permanently been rendered insignificant and illegitimate. They killed it in 0-12'. Level headed fans and pundits have been trying to keep this from happening from years. They failed.
            Great post. Rep for you.

Povetkin-Huck was no robbery, nor was Huck-Arslan.

Comment

No argument there, decision of Pac- Bradley was on par with that of Toney-Tiberi: simply ridiculous. On a side note Pac is now involved in 1) Fight of the the year 2012 2)Robbery of the year 2012 and 3) Knockout of the year 2012( albiet on the wrong end). I guess that's some kind of achievement lol

Comment

The weight of this robbery decimates any other contenders, no matter how much worse they may have been.

Comment

I strongly disagree that Huck-Povetkin was a robbery. While Huck won more rounds convincingly and inflicted more damage overall than Povetkin did, I think a reasonable case can be made that the latter edged enough close rounds to deserve the victory.

To those who consider the bout a robbery, let me know which rounds were inarguably won by Huck; I'd like to rewatch them to see if I reach the same conclusion upon another viewing.
                  Last edited by Levity; 01-03-2013, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Cloud vs Campillo was more one sided than PAC vs Bradley, I think you're totally wrong here Jake.

Comment

Working...
                    X