Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe Calzaghe: Overrated or underrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He doesn't rate. He should've been DQ'd in approximately 95% of his fights. Open hand slaps with the palm of the glove are ILLEGAL in boxing.

So in the sense that nobody with a smidgen of credibility rates him at all, i would say he's rated perfectly.

Comment

ATG.

Greatest Super Middleweight to ever lace up a pair of gloves.

Prime vs Prime, Andre Ward loses a Unanimous Decision to Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        These are great posts... Calzaghe is clearly a great fighter, hall of fame caliber, not an atg, unless your strictly looking at 168... Clearly won of the best boxers of last 30 years, and is top ten p4p since 2000, maybe even top 5

Wins over undefeated Kessler and lacy, beat Hopkins, bika,,,

Paper champ for most of his career but by the end he was the lineal undisputed 168 champ and the lineal undisputed light heavy... Great career, great fighter
        How the hell is Calzaghe one of the best boxers of the last 30 years?

Since 1984 Calzaghe is one of the best boxers?

Hes not even one of the best since 1994 let alone 1984.

Comment

He beat Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones that's a better resume than Floyd is he the best ever he retired undefeated ?

Comment

Once underrated, now overrated. Even the most ardent nationalists wouldn't speak about Joe in the fantastical terms you see the kiddies romantisizing him nowadays during the time that Joe was active. Of course, that generation of fans was about 10,000 more astute than most of the idiots we have patronizing the sport nowadays. He's a UK ATG. That's as far as I'll go.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              How the hell is Calzaghe one of the best boxers of the last 30 years?

Since 1984 Calzaghe is one of the best boxers?

Hes not even one of the best since 1994 let alone 1984.
              Right....crossed the pond and beat guys that we consider legends of the sport after moving up in weight. I was the only one out of 15 people at my house on the night of the Lacy fight who bet on Joe, I cleaned up too. EVERYONE wanted to see this white boy get sparked out and I was like, man, it isn't going to be like that. So I'm not going to accept that Lacy was some hype job heading into that fight, he was being touted as some Tyson clone.

He tied or broke Hopkins' SMW title reign record, has a record that Floyd has had to retire twice and make ridiculous demands just to try and achieve. The guy is without a doubt a very special fighter...very unorthodox, sometimes even sloppy but special none the less.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustle Wilson View Post
                He doesn't rate. He should've been DQ'd in approximately 95% of his fights. Open hand slaps with the palm of the glove are ILLEGAL in boxing.

So in the sense that nobody with a smidgen of credibility rates him at all, i would say he's rated perfectly.
                He wears a hat that say's The Best Ever though. He retired undefeated P4P best in history of boxing 46 tried 46 failed. Don't mind me I'm just acting like Floyd fan

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                  Right....crossed the pond and beat guys that we consider legends of the sport after moving up in weight. I was the only one out of 15 people at my house on the night of the Lacy fight who bet on Joe, I cleaned up too. EVERYONE wanted to see this white boy get sparked out and I was like, man, it isn't going to be like that. So I'm not going to accept that Lacy was some hype job heading into that fight, he was being touted as some Tyson clone.

He tied or broke Hopkins' SMW title reign record, has a record that Floyd has had to retire twice and make ridiculous demands just to try and achieve. The guy is without a doubt a very special fighter...very unorthodox, sometimes even sloppy but special none the less.
                  How can you say "I'm not going to accept Lacy was a hype job" followed by "he was supposed to he a Tyson clone"

That confirms he was a hype job and he's probably the biggest hype job the sport has ever seen.

Hopkins never fought at Super MW. He has no "reign" there.

And Calzaghes "reign" consists of 2 fighters ranked in the Top 5 at the weight. Impressive!!!

Edged by a passed prime Hopkins. Suppose that's decent. He did what Jermain Taylor did but worse. Awesome.

Comment

Overrated as hell the dude couldnt even beat a past it prime BHOP dude is not ATG material or is he HOFm aterial lets be honest his entire career he was gettin it the easy route

Comment

He's neither. He was a very good boxer IMO but lacked career defining wins vs great fighters in America. Prime Toney, Hopkins and RJJ all beat him I think.
                      Last edited by Ephesians; 05-09-2014, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X