• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• an interview with angelo dundee

source: http://www.tacomaweekly.com/article/4794

note: JS is the interviewer

on klits bros and rating boxers next to ali
    J.S: How would Ali do today, with the huge Klitschko brothers?

A.D: He would’ve stopped both of them. See, Ali looked great against big guys - Cleveland Williams I’ll give you as an example, a huge guy. Another guy, most people haven’t seen the fight, a guy named Duke Sabedong from early in Muhammad’s career (June of 1961, a points win for Ali). He was like 6’6.” Ali’s speed would have overcome both Klitschko brothers. But, hey, they’re the best around today. I think a guy named David Haye is interesting. I don’t think he’d let then hug onto him. Haye is an interesting guy and we need him around. I like the English fighters. One story I’ll tell you - back when Lennox Lewis was still deciding whether or not he was from Canada or Britain (laughs), I was asked to a meeting with Lewis, by Bill Kaplan. I told Lewis to go to the U.K, because the U.K fans are the greatest on earth. I’m kind of proud of that, because Lewis went on to become quite special.

J.S: Angelo, we all know you and millions of other people rate Ali as THE best-ever heavyweight champion. Who do you rate at number-two?

A.D: At number-two? Good one. George Foreman. But then you can’t discount Joe Louis, the finest human being God ever put on this earth. How can you not include Rocky Marciano? You know, you could talk all day. It’s like a trivia question, but everyone has their opinion (laughs).
    on a supposed ali-foreman II

J.S: Fans often say one of the great rematches never to happen was Ali-Foreman II. What would’ve happened had they met in, say, 1976 or ’77?

A.D: Well, certain people beat certain people. This happens all the time in boxing, you’ve seen it. Actually, the old George Foreman would’ve given Ali a tougher fight. But the young George, with his wild swings, my guy would’ve beaten him all night.

J.S: You say the old Foreman would’ve done better against Ali. Is that because George was more relaxed and patient at that age?

A.D: Yeah. He was relaxed, steady and he would grind you down - just like he did to Michael Moorer, when he won the title back.

J.S: But Ali would still have beaten the old Foreman?

A.D: That style, yeah.

I'm quite suprised he didn't mention Joe Frazier at all in this interview, both fighters are almost always mentioned in the same sentence when discussing heavyweight greats.

Comment

Originally posted by jri9d0 View Post
      I'm quite suprised he didn't mention Joe Frazier at all in this interview, both fighters are almost always mentioned in the same sentence when discussing heavyweight greats.
      probably the bitterness between frazier and ali is contagious.

Comment

Working...
      X