Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Carlos Monzon be respected? This dude beat women and killed one

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of the things he did form a boxing perspective, I guess yes. Some of the things he did from a personal perspective, absolutely not.

It is a recurring thing in boxing, if not in sports in general. How many boxers have done unfavourable things outside the ring that deserve all the backlash, yet inside the ring, and within the boundaries of the game, we love them?

Fair enough nobody has killed people whilst at their peak and carried on in the sport, but still, Ali and Tyson are two of the best examples of guys that in their personal life did plenty of things that they deserved to lose respect for but the point remains that what they did inside the sport is ultimately what we respect.

Comment

Monzon loved the fast life, 80% of famous athletes have loved cocaine, women, cars etc. You can't discredit him being in the top 3 middleweights that ever lived because of his personal life.

Comment

Originally posted by Alx. View Post
        Monzon loved the fast life, 80% of famous athletes have loved cocaine, women, cars etc. You can't discredit him being in the top 3 middleweights that ever lived because of his personal life.
        You can live the fast life without beating wives and killing one of them.

Comment

He deserves respect as a fighter, not as a person

Floyd doesn't deserve respect at either for being a cherrypicking *****

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
            You can live the fast life without beating wives and killing one of them.
            Apparently he did not feel the same way, he was a very disturbed and aggressive human being.

Comment

Originally posted by Alx. View Post
              Apparently he did not feel the same way, he was a very disturbed and aggressive human being.
              people forget that getting your head bashed in for a living can do that to you

¨Chronic brain damage can also affect behavior. Common signs include irritability, a lack of insight, paranoia and violent outbursts.¨

https://patients.aan.com/resources/n...00602020-00005

Every person is different, though. Some people can absorb and recover from brain damage better than others, so we'll always have a few cases like Monzon and Valero, along with cases like Chuvalo or Chavez, who still behave like perfectly functional people despite taking a god awful amount of blows to the head during their careers

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                He definitely acted like a psychopath/sociopath in the ring. Absolutely no epathy in the guy. All the fights ive watched ive barely seen him make an emotional gesture. Scary. Its amazing to see on a boxing level, but obviously had terrible effects in his personal life.
                His beatdown of Benvenuti is a frightening spectacle. The ending is like something from a snuff video.

Comment

Originally posted by SeekDaGreat View Post
                  Exactly. You can admire someone's skills and not condone what they do outside of the sport. Skills are skills don't matter if you're a killer, a wife beater, etc. If you have undeniable talent in a particular field, cannot be denied.

Pete Rose is the perfect example.
                  Detractors use athlete's personal life and character because they cant dispute the athlete's accomplishments and skills.....i.e. Floyd Mayweather....Im a boxing fan, not God...I cant judge a fighter when I don't know what they do 24/7 and why

the people throwing judgement have skeletons in their closet and wouldn't be so judgemental if their live's were in the public

it would be str8 hush mouth mode

Comment

No one is perfect. We all have our failings as people. Only God can judge each and every one of us.

That being said, Monzon was one of the ATG great middleweights. And from what reports show, one hell of a scumbag outside the ring. However, I don't know him, never have and never will. I have the mental faculties necessary to separate his in-ring accomplishments from his behavior outside the ring, so that is what I do.

Comment

Working...
                    X