Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Express your feelings on the current state of the sport of Boxing.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TR vs. GB View Post
    How do you feel Boxing is doing right now and what are some things that can be done better. How is Boxing doing where you live and how do you feel it is doing globally?
    Highly controversial outcomes in last two PPVs.

Poor Refs: Mares - Abekos and others

Poor Judges: Mathessyes (OH **** however you spell his name) got robbed TWICE. Williams vs Lara.

Paper Champs: JCCJ, Canelo ala Sulaiman. Obama needs to take mutha****a Sulaiman out since Osama and Quadafi are both dead. NEED THAT DRONE on that corrupt WBC wrap producer (how about some bronze or tin rhinestone belt u ****er?)

HBO: Full of Idiots

Need I say more??

Answers are obvious (Fights that should be made are not).

Hopefully Cotto vs Margarito with strong undercard will take some of BS away.

Comment

Too many injuries.

Comment

Trying to see from a casual fan standpoint: boxing is dying

Fan sentiment has to be very low. I mean the Top PPV events within a month were VERY DISAPPOINTING.

Mayweather Ortiz- Controversial end
        Dawson-Hopkins- Controversial end
        Pacquiao-Mosley- Highly touted fight in which Mosley didnt come to fight. A lot of boos
        Donaire-Narvaez- Main event BAD. Narvaez didnt come to fight. Very frustrating for fans. A lot of boos

Too many questionable judges scorecards
        Too many questionable referee calls

The best fight match ups NOT HAPPENING
        Lousy promoters
        I have to give it up to MMA/UFC fights. They come to fight and you rarely here boos during the fight.
        In a age where the attention span of the average American is short. UFC is a more viable form of entertainment. Its like boxing is taking the form of baseball and UFC is the up and coming NBA and could be the NFL of combat sports.

Comment

2011 is one of the worst years in boxing that I remember. A lot of bad reffing, poor scoring, controversial stoppages, gift belts being thrown out etc.

Examples:
          WBC strap handouts to Canelo, Morales, etc
          Bad reffing: Berto-Zaveck (ref. didn't see the headbutt); Bhop-Dawson (reffed as a TKO)
          Bad scoring: Pwill-Lara etc
          Non performances: Pac-Mosley, Wlad-Haye, Canelo-Hatton, Khan-Mccloskey
          controversial stoppages: vitali-solis, floyd-ortiz, Khan-Judah

What's worst many of the above mentioned were actually PPV's. solid fights so far: RIos-Acosta, Berto-Ortiz... maybe 2 or 3 more.

Not seeing any improvement in the fights still to come.
          Cotto-Margarito: throw two wounded lions in the ring and let them kill eachother (another candidate for controversy)
          Pac-Marquez III: Has potential, but Marquez hasn't shown much at welter.
          Wlad-Mormeck: HAHAHAHAAHHAHH you gotta be serious.
          Khan-Peterson, Jones-Lujuan, Bradley-Casa: Could be interesting 12 rounders.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
            Kind of a down period but that is the nature of the sport really it ebbs and flows, just how it goes sometime.

Not much can be done about it, other than hope it picks up soon.
            Boxing has problems, that are large scale and ruining any chance the sport has of rebounding, but I agree with this as to why so many big fights have disappointed this year. Ultimately it just happens, stuff like Mayweather-Ortiz, Bradley-Alexander, Dawson-Hopkins, etc.

For once it's not the fights being made that is the problem. Those fights just aren't delivering. It happens.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
              Boxing has cancer and their names are:

Bob Arum
              Manny Pacquiao
              Floyd Mayweather Jr
              Amen to the above.

But with that out of the way, somewhere along the lines boxing fans are the problem. Sanctioning bodies, promoters & the fighters themselves only do what the fan lets them.

Fans have become dependent on the term pfp, which is mythical with no real bearing on the sport. Allowing belts & titles to become a joke. Allowing fighters like Canelo to earn a major title never having fought on the championship level.

Then the fans sit there & discredit all top fighters not named Floyd or Manny should they struggle on a given night. Although it's Floyd who will have a fight cost 65 bucks & end it cheaply & Pacman who avoids his nemisis until that man is clearly past it, being hurt by lesser fighters & is fighting 2 weight classes out of his element & the fans bend over & take that **** dry with no lube & love every second of it.

Boxing would have done better this year if Pacman & Floyd were forced to fight Martinez, Bradley Khan, & so on. But at the very least there is some good, with Ward fighting Froch & espn giving exciting fights for free & showtimes shobox on fridays always giving good quality fights that for whatever reasons get overlooked in favor of big name mismatches on ppv or hbo.

Comment

Hit me up on the morning of Dec 4 when I'm recovering from the MGS atmosphere with some of my friends. I can't ****ing wait

Comment

2011 has been a bad year for sure, but there are many talented fighters.

Comment

i remember when fighters used to fight...

Comment

As much as posters here hate Dana white, boxing as a whole needs to follow his motto. If boxing were run the way UFC is currently being run, it would get rid of all the B.S that's happening. No more picking and choosing who u want to fight. No more ducking. No more greedy promoters preventing fights from happening. No more crooked ABC organizations. Etc.. 1 champ per weight class, and each division should be set up like a tournament where all the top guys fight eachother with an elimination process until there's 1 man standing at the top.

They also need to get rid of guaranteed purses. What incentive does a fighter have to fight his heart out if he knows win or lose, he will be receiving millions anyway?
                      Last edited by Deevel916; 10-24-2011, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X