Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golovkin-Rubio Middleweight Title Fight In Play For 10/18

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Golovkin-Rubio Middleweight Title Fight In Play For 10/18

Barring an injury or any other circumstances beyond his control, unbeaten middleweight titlist Gennday Golovkin will fight for a third time in 2014. Plans are currently in place - though not yet finalized for an October 18 ring return versus Mexico's Marco Antonio Rubio.

The bout will most likely wind up taking place in Southern California. Golovkin has fought in New York in each of his last six stateside appearances, including five in a row at Madison Square Garden and its accompanying Theatre venue.

HBO - with whom Golovkin is under exclusive contract - has the option to reject the matchup, though it is likely the network will air the fight given past criticism of passing on Golovkin's knockout win over Osumana Adama earlier this year in Monte Carlo.

Rubio and his team have agreed to the offer presented to them, and now await for Golovkin's side to sign off to make the fight official. The 34-year old was eager to jump into the lion's den once it became clear that a desired crack at lineal middleweight champion Miguel Cotto wasn't going to happen.

"Since Miguel Cotto doesn't want to fight me, we're fighting Gennady Golovkin," Rubio (59-6-1, 51KOs) insists. "I never back down from anyone. This fight is going to happen." [Click Here To Read More]
    Last edited by BIGPOPPAPUMP; 08-15-2014, 10:12 AM.

Comments Thread For: Golovkin-Rubio Middleweight Title Fight In Play For 10/18

Barring an injury or any other circumstances beyond his control, unbeaten middleweight titlist Gennday Golovkin will fight for a third time in 2014. Plans are currently in place - though not yet finalized for an October 18 ring return versus Mexico's Marco Antonio Rubio.

The bout will most likely wind up taking place in Southern California. Golovkin has fought in New York in each of his last six stateside appearances, including five in a row at Madison Square Garden and its accompanying Theatre venue.

HBO - with whom Golovkin is under exclusive contract - has the option to reject the matchup, though it is likely the network will air the fight given past criticism of passing on Golovkin's knockout win over Osumana Adama earlier this year in Monte Carlo.

Rubio and his team have agreed to the offer presented to them, and now await for Golovkin's side to sign off to make the fight official. The 34-year old was eager to jump into the lion's den once it became clear that a desired crack at lineal middleweight champion Miguel Cotto wasn't going to happen.

"Since Miguel Cotto doesn't want to fight me, we're fighting Gennady Golovkin," Rubio (59-6-1, 51KOs) insists. "I never back down from anyone. This fight is going to happen." [Click Here To Read More]

Comment

Get it done! Let GGG wipe Rubio out of the title picture then he can look at Sam Soliman and the Canelo/Cotto winner.

Comment

Good fight, I like it.

It's a better match-up for Golovkin than Cotto. Rubio has the style to really spoil Cotto's newfound momentum and do a Trout/Lemieux job on him, but against Golovkin it's only a matter of time before Rubio either gets caught and stopped, or ends up losing in 12, or even manages to frustrate him as well. Also, Golovkin still needs opponents like this; Cotto is a veteran PPV star and only needs huge names to wind down his career.
        Last edited by PittyPat; 08-15-2014, 07:10 AM.

Comment

This is a good fight. Its goin to be a brawl rubio aint boxing off the backfoot like macklin and geale. If GGG starches him inside 3 rounds aswell. That will be a statement. And no one will go near him on pavlik has beaten rubio easy so lets see.

Comment

Triple G KO5.

Comment

I didn't think Rubio would get the call. If fight gets made, I expect GGG to win by KO somewhere after the 6th round.

Comment

3 fights. What an inactive year.

Geale and Rubio is a solid campaign for 2014. Golovkin can only take what this quacking division gives him. Those are two better names.

Comment

Ggg gets praised for fighting Rubio and when the fight was being mentioned for cotto ppl said garbage fight lol

Comment

solid title defence and hopefully an entertaining scrap. i thought it would be him or mora. certainly better than some of the other names speculated like vanes martirosyan.

Comment

Working...
                    X