Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could a prime Sergio Martinez have beat GGG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
    Ok now compare his opposition level to that of Mayweather and Lara.

And then tell me when he's ever faced anyone as fast, sharp and accurate off the backfoot as Sergio.

He's been getting his by guys who aren't even there to win or punch back. A journeyman like Curtis Stevens was able to land clean combos on him and back him up. His defence is not great, he's very much there to be hit.
    Clean combos? you mean in the replay when he was shown to be punching GGG's shoulder in like 2/3 of the shots in these 'combos'?

I'm criticizing your comment on his defense, not you believing Sergio could win. I don't think you understand, calling his defense 'leaky' when he's ranked 3rd is hilariously stupid, as is using "so and so landed 2 combinations on GGG the whole fight, look! his defense sucks!"

Marcos Maidana landed some combinations on Floyd Mayweather, I guess his defence is leaky too? lol...

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL0ux9c7EVs
    33:20, nice clean combo there, 1/3 punches landed.
    Last edited by T18Z; 10-26-2014, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
      stevens only threw like 2 combos the entire fight. the rest of the time he was shelling. martinez doesnt shell and martinez also got hit byguys like mack and barker so if you are playing the he can be hit game ggg wins since he hits much harder
      Yeah and when he did, they landed and backed Golovkin off. Imagine if he was fighting someone that was actually there to win.

Comment

Non only GGG, but also Pirog would have KOed Maravilla. Martinaz never had a good chin.

Comment

Originally posted by T18Z View Post
          Clean combos? you mean in the replay when he was shown to be punching GGG's shoulder in like 2/3 of the shots in these 'combos'?

I'm criticizing your comment on his defense, not you believing Sergio could win. I don't think you understand, calling his defense 'leaky' when he's ranked 3rd is hilariously stupid, as is using "so and so landed 2 combinations on GGG the whole fight, look! his defense sucks!"
          I just clicked on that link which has Julio Cesar Chavez Jr in the top 10 defences above Wladimir Klitschko....yeah I'm gonna go ahead and not take that seriously.

Comment

I just clicked on that link which has Julio Cesar Chavez Jr in the top 10 defences above Wladimir Klitschko....yeah I'm gonna go ahead and not take that seriously.
            Yes of course, but ignore that Ward, Mayweather, Khan, Alvarez, Lara, Santa Crus and Pacquaio are on that list also? Fighters which logically belong there?

Chavez up until recently was on a 46 win streak, of course his stats were going to be semi-relevant. As you can see he still takes the most shots out of anyone on that list. Can you not read? Klitscko has a much lower opponent connect percentage (23) than Chavez (29), he has better defense than Chavez. Maybe learn to read?

When the statistics don't support your argument, just call them unlegit and refuse to acknowledge them? Nice tactic.
            Last edited by T18Z; 10-26-2014, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Yes of course, but ignore that Ward, Mayweather, Khan, Alvarez, Lara, Santa Crus and Pacquaio are on that list also? :rofl1:.

Chavez up until recently was on a 46 win streak, of course his stats were going to be semi-relevant. As you can see he still takes the most shots out of anyone on that list. Can you not read? Klitscko has a much lower opponent connect percentage than Chavez, he has better defense than Chavez :rofl1:
              Yeah because he was fighting bums and journeymen like Golovkin.

Comment

Yeah because he was fighting bums and journeymen like Golovkin.
                Great reply. So, tell me, how is his defence 'leaky' again? Nothing supports your argument, I just linked hard stats disproving it, and also the fact he's not even been knocked down, out, stunned or buzzed yet supports my point even further.

Just stop, you couldn't even interpret the data correctly. All signs point to his defence being pretty good, especially for his style. If you want to argue his defence isn't yet proven against elite fighters like Ward, Cotto etc that's fine, because it's true, but don't go spouting nonsense.
                Last edited by T18Z; 10-26-2014, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Yeah and when he did, they landed and backed Golovkin off. Imagine if he was fighting someone that was actually there to win.
                  backed him off? for what 2 seconds. how would d a boxer who fights with his hands down beat ggg? are you having calzaghe flashbacks? martinez was not sir joe. calzaghe would have stopped ggg with a barrage of slappy punches to ggg's gloves. we all know this.

Comment

Great reply. So, tell me, how is his defence 'leaky' again? Nothing supports your argument, I just linked hard stats disproving it, and also the fact he's not even been knocked down, out, stunned or buzzed yet supports my point even further.

Just stop, you couldn't even interpret the data correctly.
                    Interpret the data? Lol...I didn't even examine it. It can't be taken seriously when you have someone like Chavez Jr in the top 10. The reason he's there is because he's been fighting weak opponents like Golovkin.

Mayweather or Ward's stats actually mean something because they've been fighting world class opponents.

You clearly are the one who can't interpret the data properly.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                      backed him off? for what 2 seconds. how would d a boxer who fights with his hands down beat ggg? are you having calzaghe flashbacks? martinez was not sir joe. calzaghe would have stopped ggg with a barrage of slappy punches to ggg's gloves. we all know this.
                      What does it matter how many seconds it was? Curtis Stevens is a club fighter - you shouldn't be trumpeting the fact that he "only" backed Golovkin up for "2 seconds".

When he decided to throw shots, they landed and landed clean. Golovkin didn't move his head or slip them or counter, he just backed straight up.

Comment

Working...
                      X