Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Theres No Way Muhammad Ali Beat Ken Norton In There 3rd Fight.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theres No Way Muhammad Ali Beat Ken Norton In There 3rd Fight.

Having watched this fight again recently, theres no doubt in my mind Ken Norton beat Muhammad Ali. He had a more consistent workrate, he landed the cleaner harder blows to the body and head.

And i constantly kept hearing about how Ken Norton, gave away the 15th round i don't think so. Ken Norton comeback well in that round, and had Muhammad Ali covering up in the corner late on in that round.

After the bell rung Ken Norton shouted at him, and his corner men picked him up thinking he had won clearly. While Muhammad Ali was looking down slumped in the corner, thinking that he had lost.

I can understand people thinking Muhammad Ali, had got the nod in there 2nd fight. Because i also believe Muhammad Ali edged out the 2nd fight, but theres certainly no way he won the 3rd fight, and obviously he lost the 1st fight and rightfully so.

And also one last thing if Muhammad Ali, had not been given the decision in there 3rd fight would he still be regarded as great as he now ?
    Last edited by Burning Desire; 10-14-2009, 07:43 AM.

He had a more consistent workrate,

From what i remember it was Ali who was contently jabbing throughout the entire fight with Norton waiting to counter.

Is that not an accurate assessment of what was happening?

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
      He had a more consistent workrate,

From what i remember it was Ali who was contently jabbing throughout the entire fight with Norton waiting to counter.

Is that not an accurate assessment of what was happening?
      Well Muhammad Ali did take quite a few rounds off in the fight, just laying on the ropes doing nothing. What i mean is that Ken Norton, was consistent with his aggression and power punches.

He was always coming forward putting on effective aggression, whacking Muhammad Ali with hard shots to the body and head. Whilst Muhammad Ali was mostly just flicking out jabs with not much power in them, and only throwing the occassional right hand.

Which was a good punch and it did seem to hurt Ken Norton, a few times. But Ken Norton hurt Muhammad Ali much more, especially the body shot that doubled up Muhammad Ali.

This isn't a hating Muhammad Ali thread, but in my view i just can't see how Muhammad Ali got the nod. I thought Ken Norton was a clear winner atleast 9-6.

Comment

Originally posted by Burning Desire View Post
        Well Muhammad Ali did take quite a few rounds off in the fight, just laying on the ropes doing nothing. What i mean is that Ken Norton, was consistent with his aggression and power punches.

He was always coming forward putting on effective aggression, whacking Muhammad Ali with hard shots to the body and head. Whilst Muhammad Ali was mostly just flicking out jabs with not much power in them, and only throwing the occassional right hand.

Which was a good punch and it did seem to hurt Ken Norton, a few times. But Ken Norton hurt Muhammad Ali much more, especially the body shot that doubled up Muhammad Ali.

This isn't a hating Muhammad Ali thread, but in my view i just can't see how Muhammad Ali got the nod. I thought Ken Norton was a clear winner atleast 9-6.
        I know its all good i just wanted to see where you were going with the workrate thing. Id have to watch it again and score it next time to give an accurate assessment.

Comment

i had Muhammad Ali winning... as for final rounds i thought Norton won the final round in his fight with Larry Holmes

Comment

Norton didn't give away the 15th round but he let Ali back into the fight after the eight round when he shouldn't have done,by that point Ken Norton was in clear command of the fight,using a sustained attack to the body,driving Ali back to the ropes and unleashing left hooks to both the body and head and overhand rights to the head.

Ali started dancing in the 9th round for the first time and began using his jab and while he didn't have much pop left in his jab,it was consistently landing enough to score points and pick up rounds,the straight right once again stunned Norton,just as it had done during their second fight.

I didn't have Ali winning but could I see an argument or him winning? Yes I most certainly could.

for the record Ali won fairly convincingly against Norton during their second bout,unless somebody actually gave Norton a round through the first six

Originally posted by Burning Desire View Post

Those were the earlier rounds when Ali was clowning around on the ropes and Norton wasn't falling for it.

Norton also wasted a few rounds,one in particular where he himself laid on the ropes imitating the rope-a-dope in an attempt to show he could take Ali's best onslought,and while he perhaps won a point in regards to manhood,he still lost that round.

Comment

It always puzzles me how Ali could win some fights. He was doing nothing half the fight, just laying against the ropes, clowning around. And getting hit.

Comment

It always puzzles me how Benncollinsaad can actually comment on a boxing forum considering Mr boxrec ranger has never actually watched a boxing match in it's entirety in his life.

No doubt he thinks that post whoring in the history section and using smilies in virtually every post he makes gives him credibility among other newbs but it's nothing to write home about.

Comment

I think it must be pointed out that Muhammad Ali was 9 years past his prime!

Muhammad Ali's prime was 1966/67

I had Norton winning the 3rd fight 8-6-1

Comment

Originally posted by Princemanspopa View Post
                    It always puzzles me how Benncollinsaad can actually comment on a boxing forum considering Mr boxrec ranger has never actually watched a boxing match in it's entirety in his life.

No doubt he thinks that post whoring in the history section and using smilies in virtually every post he makes gives him credibility among other newbs but it's nothing to write home about.
                    It puzzles me how you haven't got banned permanently yet, if for nothing else, then for stupidity.

Comment

Working...
                    X