Collapse
No announcement yet.

winky wright

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who cares who 'avoided' Wright. fact is, he didnt fight them, so Im not going to add to his legacy for imaginary wins. if you really want a fight with a top level fighter and deserve a shot at them, chances are you will get your chance...you just have to make big concessions and get your name out there more.

as it is, he was a solid fighter, but not without his flaws. was a horrible type of matchup against guys like Trinidad and Mosley, but would have suffered against opponents that could have worked around his guard and kept him in his shell. Im thinking someone like Mike McCallum would have had a field day with him to be honest.

might get into the HOF. very good jab.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
      Who was the #1 IBF contender to Titio's belt when he left for the MW tourney? Winky already won the title mandatory for the IBF title and was in line for the shot at vargas before he got murked by tito, and was there for Tito. (he was there long before that as well)

Vargas was a well know ducker of winky after winky backed him up and spanked him in their first fight....

And Winky got Shane cuz Mayorga lost to Spinks and Shane needed a name on HBO..

East Side Boxing: What are you thoughts of DelaHoya. When I spoke with him last in November, he said specifically “Without a doubt, I’ll never step in the ring with Winky Wright.” What are your thoughts about that? He had his reasons for it but what do you think his reasons were for it?

Winky Wright: I think his reasons are because he knows I’m a tough fighter. I’m a fighter that can do everything; I can fight, I can box. I come in shape and he’s got to be prepared for a fight. He might try and say that the reason is that it’s not marketable when we’re going to show everyone it’s marketable with me and Shane so the DelaHoya fight will definitely be marketable. But look, I’m hoping that he changes his mind after the fight (after he sees me and Mosley). You know what I’m saying? I want him to say, “look he deserves this fight and he’s been waiting a long time and he beat everybody to get to me, and he deserves this opportunity!”

This is prior to Oscar offering him 65-35 and Winky turning it down. Winky was calling out Oscar for yrs before that offer was made. Winky knew he could no longer be avoided and he wasn't after Shane had to fight him.....

I'm not saying it was a good business decision but lets not act like Winky wasn't avoided. Dan seems to think he wanted to go to England and fight mediocre guys in Europe. He wanted to go to defend his title vs Harry SImon in South Africa?????? Where the fight was announced as a draw but then changed to a W for Simon..... He was basically a champ at 154 from 1996-2004 before he got a big name.... Well, he got a big name once, put up an exciting bout that he lost but the majority of people thought he won and proved that he's a nightmare in the ring. Then he finally gets the fight with Shane 5 YEARS after the "loss" to Vargas. Obviously he wasn't content to fight b-c level guys like Dan's ridiculous theory because as soon as he made a name off of a big name, he only fought the best and big names. Mosley, Mosley, Trinidad, Taylor, Bhop, ancient Quartay (finally) and Pwill.

Winky was a terrible businessman and that stupid chip that he carried on his shoulder caused him to lose out on a ton of dough. he wanted to be the draw so bad, that when he was finally getting good fights, he pulled the same shi t on other guys that was done to him by Vargas, Tito and Oscar. IE, wanting more money from Floyd for a fight he would have won pretty handily. Same thing for the Taylor rematch.
      When have I ever said 'Winky would only fight B-C level fighters'?

Winky evidently was willing to fight higher level fighters than that, he proved it more than enough times.

But the fact is he wasn't avoided like you claim. You throw names like Quartey and Tito in there as if they ducked Winky when it's utterly untrue.

Why is Tito going to fight Winky Wright when he is moving to Middleweight to eventually fight Bernard Hopkins?

You say 'Quartey (finally)' as if he was available to fight Winky Wright..

He had a chance to fight Oscar and turned it down. This is a fact. So let's say Oscar said 'I won't fight him' I don't atually recall that but for arguments sake let's say he did when Winky had the chance he did the exact same thing and turned the fight down.

What about Catillejo? Was he avoided by those names also? I'm sure he would loved to have fight them as much as Winky Wright would have.

Winky may not have been able to get all the fights he wanted, who does? But to say he was notoriously avoided like you claim is just simply untrue.

And the fact still remains he had chances to fight for huge paydays against the alleged guys he 'really wanted to fight' and turned them down. No one's fault but his own.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        When have I ever said 'Winky would only fight B-C level fighters'?

Winky evidently was willing to fight higher level fighters than that, he proved it more than enough times.

But the fact is he wasn't avoided like you claim. You throw names like Quartey and Tito in there as if they ducked Winky when it's utterly untrue.

Why is Tito going to fight Winky Wright when he is moving to Middleweight to eventually fight Bernard Hopkins?

You say 'Quartey (finally)' as if he was available to fight Winky Wright..

He had a chance to fight Oscar and turned it down. This is a fact. So let's say Oscar said 'I won't fight him' I don't atually recall that but for arguments sake let's say he did when Winky had the chance he did the exact same thing and turned the fight down.

What about Catillejo? Was he avoided by those names also? I'm sure he would loved to have fight them as much as Winky Wright would have.

Winky may not have been able to get all the fights he wanted, who does? But to say he was notoriously avoided like you claim is just simply untrue.

And the fact still remains he had chances to fight for huge paydays against the alleged guys he 'really wanted to fight' and turned them down. No one's fault but his own.
        you mentioned that winky was content to just defend his titles against b-c level guys in another thread we were talking about winky in....

you constantly ignore the fact that I'm saying he was avoided up until shane finally fought him and he made a name for himself. i'm well aware of his horrible business decisions and all the high profile fights he got.

you and steak both- yes there are guys that don't get the shots they want, rarely are those guys champs and so highly regarded for as long as winky was, so you can keep your castellejo arguments....

Comment

I think Winky was 1 of the best jr middleweights ever.Before Martinez,there was Winky.

Comment

you mentioned that winky was content to just defend his titles against b-c level guys in another thread we were talking about winky in....
            At the start of his reign he was more than happy racking up solid defneces like Keith Mulling and a Bronco McKart trilogy.

Evidently is was open to bigger fighters and wasn't afraid to get in the ring with anyone per se.

you constantly ignore the fact that I'm saying he was avoided up until shane finally fought him and he made a name for himself. i'm well aware of his horrible business decisions and all the high profile fights he got.
            I know what saying.

But, he wasn't. Especially not by Quartey and Trinidad and nor was he by Oscar or Castillejo.

I guess you could argue he was by Vargas.

you and steak both- yes there are guys that don't get the shots they want, rarely are those guys champs and so highly regarded for as long as winky was, so you can keep your castellejo arguments....
            Castillejo held his paper title for a good few years and racked up some decent defences during that peroid of time before he fought Oscar.

And, Castilllejo was not avoided by anyone during this title reign, despite the fact he was a champion and available to those names you have mentioned for Winky.

The same goes for Winky.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
              I think Winky was 1 of the best jr middleweights ever.Before Martinez,there was Winky.
              I think that has more to do with the fact that the Jr Middleweight division isn't even 40 years old and isn't a relitively strong division in general over it's short history.

Even with that being said, there are still a handful of fighters that are considered greater than Wright at the weight.

Comment

Working...
              X