Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ranking Hearns As A Greater Fighter Than Leonard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranking Hearns As A Greater Fighter Than Leonard?

Can it be justified and does anyone think Hearns is greater than Leonard, if so why?

Originally posted by Bolo Punch View Post
    Can it be justified and does anyone think Hearns is greater than Leonard, if so why?
    I do not think Hearns is greater than Hearns but I can see why some people may think so.
    Hearns technically was AMAZING, he had great power amazing speed and reflexes and even outboxed Sugar Ray Leonard in thier first fight until tiring.
    It's just Ray Leonard beat ATG.
    When Hearns tried to beat ATG he usually failed but seemed to demolish many that were very good just not ATG.
    Just my opinion though.

Comment

No, Leonard beat the other 3 fab 4 fighters, including Hearns himself and Ko'd Wilfred Benitez.
      Hearns only beat one, was Ko'd by Barkley and won a MD over Benitez.

Comment

Compare the divisions they won their titles in.

Welterweight: Leonard > Hearns
        Junior Middleweight: Hearns > Leonard
        Middleweight: Leonard > Hearns
        Super Middleweight: Hearns > Leonard
        Light Heavyweight: Hearns > Leonard

3-2 Hearns. Easiest explanation.

Comment

But then again, unlike Leonard, Hearns got KTFO against the two best fighters he faced.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
            But then again, unlike Leonard, Hearns got KTFO against the two best fighters he faced.

Poet
            That's the general train of thought when it comes to rating Leonard. Pretend everyone has a resume of 5 people, and rate accordingly. Leonard's 5 is very good. Too bad that's half his meaningful resume period. Hearns resume is much deeper.

Comment

The only case would be longevity. But Leonard holds the win in the meaningful first fight and was a better fighter.

Comment

Hearns actually has beaten better opponents than Leonard, and has a better record when you only look at his wins.

Its really only his losses that put Leonard over him. Which is sad, but I guess you cant ignore what happened.

its almost unfair that the consistant work that Hearns did over all those years is cancelled out just by the fact that Leonard had a longer winning streak. ah well...

both outstanding fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                  I do not think Hearns is greater than Hearns but I can see why some people may think so.
                  Hearns technically was AMAZING, he had great power amazing speed and reflexes and even outboxed Sugar Ray Leonard in thier first fight until tiring.
                  It's just Ray Leonard beat ATG.
                  When Hearns tried to beat ATG he usually failed but seemed to demolish many that were very good just not ATG.
                  Just my opinion though.
                  I'm with you,.... I don't think there's a case for it,... Ray won when they were both prime.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
                    I'm with you,.... I don't think there's a case for it,... Ray won when they were both prime.
                    i dont think hearns was at his best untill he moved up to 154

he was draing himself at 147

pluss he drained an extra two pounds coming into the first fight

and he was winning that fight handily untill the end

Comment

Working...
                    X