No announcement yet.

Who could KO Hagler?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
    Jones wouldn't be able to hurt hagler, I don't even see Jones beating him regardless of how good he was. Hagler was smart he wouldn't pull a toney and try and out box Jones. He would pressure him like he did hearns
    The difference between Toney and Hagler is an important one....two great fighters, with similarities and some notable strengths and weaknesses...

When Toney fought Jones he was a puncher who pressured very well. he had a great work rate and chin and was a decent counter puncher (he got to be a much better counter puncher). Toney fell down because he could not pressure Jones enough to compensate for Jones freakish speed and reflexes. Jones always had strength to operate and take Toney apart on the outside.

I think Hagler would pressure Jones more. I think he fights through some of Jones punches and gets to Roy at times. I think Hagler was a little quicker in the feet, and a little more of a pressure guy than a pure boxer puncher like Toney. of course Jones being Jones at that time especially it would not suprise me if Jones could keep marvin outside, but if I had to bet on that fight I think Marvin brings it fowards more because of his different style than Toney. I use Sugar Ray Leanard as my precident for this opinion.

Speaking of which: Another way to look at this would be sugar Ray Leanard against Toney and I could see him giving Toney similar problems that Roy did.

Comment

Hearns is the obvious answer. 50/50 fight that couldve broke either way. Hagler was fortunate.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
        Hearns is the obvious answer. 50/50 fight that couldve broke either way. Hagler was fortunate.
        Fortunate of what exactly

Hagler absorbed everything Hearns threw. Absorbed his absolute best right hand. I don't see anyway Hearns could have stopped him.

Comment

probably no middleweight but guys like Moore or Charles at light heavy? Spinks?

Comment

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post

Hagler absorbed everything Hearns threw. Absorbed his absolute best right hand. I don't see anyway Hearns could have stopped him.
            This fight has been glamorized to the moon, but if you watch it objectively, after the first half of the first round it was all Hagler. He took Hearns' best shots and then dominated.

Comment

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post

It's almost as if some people are pretending this never happened. Hearns never even came close to dropping Hagler. I don't understand where all of the "Hearns could KO Hagler" talk is coming from considering Hagler walked right through Hearns punches. Those are facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                This fight has been glamorized to the moon, but if you watch it objectively, after the first half of the first round it was all Hagler. He took Hearns' best shots and then dominated.
                I wouldn't say Hagler took Hearns's best shots. He took some good shots, but Hearns was most deadly when he got distance and leverage on that right hand (Shuler, Cuevas, Duran). The shot that briefly stunned Hagler was a short right, and Hagler recovered quickly. Hearns did land some looping right hands at distance around Hagler's guard, and a couple of quick straight rights, but not that right hand at range with leverage when Hearns was most dangerous.

That's not to say Hagler couldn't have taken them, my guess is that he could have, but I don't think Hearns landed his BEST shots. Hagler was smart and turned into a bull and closed the distance on Hearns.

Comment

If a fighter stands perfectly still and poses for his oppoent with his chin in the air he can be KO'd. Under those terms Mosley could KO Hagler. In a real fight if you cannot land your big punch it does not count. Miracle punches in boxing are rare at the top level, otherwise guys with speed and timing like Jones and Robinson would KO everyone in the first round. In the meantime, all the punches that do not land perfectly are doing significant damage, which is how most fights are won.

Comment

Working...
                  X