Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Montreal: Artur Beterbiev vs. Tavoris Cloud & undercards RbR discussion thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mathed View Post
    If this Russian guy is stationary and not a fast puncher, he will lose. If Cloud sees that he can land with moderate success, he will take this guy out....that is my call even though I haven't seen the opponent fight.
    Beterbiev is bigger and most likely stronger than Cloud. I think it'll play the exact opposite to how you predict. Cloud is going to want to try and box when he feels Artur's punch. The guy fought at HW the last several years as an amateur and gave the gold medalist Usyk two very tough fights, one where he dropped Usyk with a body shot.

Here's some footage of Artur beating on Pascal in sparring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga6jM_3jRlM

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
    Didn't Beterbiev get badly hurt a fight or two back against a real poor quality journeyman? Or was that another highly touted olympian?
    I've never seen Artur "badly hurt". Are you talking about Khytrov? If so, that was exaggerated.

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
      This pisses me off, wasn't this fight cancelled? I was going to go to the fight but thought it was called off, fackin hell.
      Maybe you're thinking of Beterbiev vs Lacy from a few months back? Cancelled (apparently) due to a Beterbiev hand injury.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
        Didn't Beterbiev get badly hurt a fight or two back against a real poor quality journeyman? Or was that another highly touted olympian?
        He took a coupla punches he shouldn't have against Lecroisnier whilst looking a bit too hard for the stoppage but was never hurt. He got scolded by his corner and corrected though. As mentioned by FS, could be you're thinking of Khytrov.

Whatever this is real big move by Artur. Cloud may be pretty one dimensional, but it's still only a coupla fights since he was considered one of the top LHWs in the world (the Campillo fiasco notwithstanding).

Comment

And if he has5 knockouts in 5 fights that isn't a really big deal to be honest. A lots of fighter have 5 (5) - 0 record after 5 fights, that doesn't prove that he has so big punching power.

PS: It's just me or is there anyone else thinks that some people think high on these prospect just because they are Ukranien or Russian. Kinda strange. IMO if this Beterbiev guy would be Italien or Irish with the same record, half of these voters would think that he will win. I guess because GGG, Kovalev and Loma has succes then some people think that every Eastern-European prospect with good amateur past will have the same success. This is similar when some people do the same thing with Cuban boxers, they think that all the Cubans are grandmasters because Rigo. It's really not that simple...
          Last edited by HEND; 09-25-2014, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HEND View Post
            And if he has5 knockouts in 5 fights that isn't a really big deal to be honest. A lots of fighter have 5 (5) - 0 record after 5 fights, that doesn't prove that he has so big punching power.

PS: It's just me or is there anyone else thinks that some people think high on these prospect just because they are Ukranien or Russian. Kinda strange. IMO if this Beterbiev guy would be Italien or Irish with the same record, half of these voters would think that he will win. I guess because GGG, Kovalev and Loma has succes then some people think that every Eastern-European prospect with good amateur past will have the same success. This is similar when some people do the same thing with Cuban boxers, they think that all the Cubans are grandmasters because Rigo. It's really not that simple...
            Beterbiev beat Kovalev twice.

About his power, I read he was KO-ing opponents at HW in the amateurs. We'll see this weekend where he's at.

Comment

Originally posted by HEND View Post

And some people always try to downgrade them, so it's an even trade. Beterbiev has a good style for the pro game... only someone with an agenda would try to spin this another way. People complained about Loma, saying he was cherry picking Salido 2 fights in. Beterbiev is fighting Cloud 6 fights in and still certain people aren't satisfied. Just be glad there are still fighters around that want challenges as opposed to easy competition for a payday.

Comment

Originally posted by Foreign Soil View Post
                And some people always try to downgrade them, so it's an even trade. Beterbiev has a good style for the pro game... only someone with an agenda would try to spin this another way. People complained about Loma, saying he was cherry picking Salido 2 fights in. Beterbiev is fighting Cloud 6 fights in and still certain people aren't satisfied. Just be glad there are still fighters around that want challenges as opposed to easy competition for a payday.
                I would be satisfied with him if he would actually beat Cloud, the fact that he picked Cloud to his 6th fight is bold and sympathetic but it's count nothing if he will lose it.
                And I don't think that Loma was downgrade cause he is Eastern European. His rapid matchmakingwas the main reason why many people didn't like him (and that's a fault because that's not his fault). I was like: "Oh, bold decision and pretty sympathetic guy, but the organizations shouldn't let him fight for the belt this soon, because that can be pretty disrespectful to other fighters." SoInever have any problem with Loma with the decision of the WBO had. And I also didn't like Bob Arum ridiculously over the top hype. Sentences like "Lomachenko is P4P top 10 fighter" (after his first fight). But again it's not Loma's fault.

Comment

You're trying too hard to appear non-critical. I look forward to the half praise you give after the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Foreign Soil View Post
                    You're trying too hard to appear non-critical. I look forward to the half praise you give after the fight.
                    1. That's not true. I'm always critical even with my favourite fighters. I won't worhip any fighter. Mycritics has nothing to do with his country or his skin color or etc...
                    2. What confused you is maybe that I have diversified opinion on certain things not just the black and white point of view which is so fasionable on this board.
                    3. In my last comment I spoke about Lomachenko, I'm pretty high on Lomachenko and I like the guy, but I'm not that highon Beterbiev, I saw few of his fights and he appeared to me an easy to hit guy who also isn't that fast. Since I don't follow amateur boxing (and I think most of the people here don't they just like to bring up the amateur records...) I base my opinion on his pro fight and based on that he isn't that great. But as you said, we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2014
                      Back in 2008 Olympics, long before Loma turned pro, and long before GGG and Kovalev fought in the USA, I was hoping Beterbiev would turn pro. He's an exciting, aggressive boxer.
                      Ok, we will see, maybe you are right. IMO, based on his fights what I saw Cloud will be a too big step up now but it's not exluded that Beterbiev proves me wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X