Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better Resume Sugar Ray Leonard or Roberto Duran?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by J The UnBiased View Post
    Screw that lol, Ray Leonard is the greatest Welter of all time. But outside of resumes and judging off of pure talent in the ring, Mayweather and Pacquiao are definitely top 5 in that division. It's only about 3 fighters in that division that can beat a prime Manny and a Prime Floyd.
    What?

Is that some sort of weird NSB joke?

Or is this the point that NSB has come to these days?

Emile Griffith
    Jose napoles
    Henry Armstrong
    Ray Leonard
    Ray Robinson
    Roberto Duran
    Tommy Hearns
    Wilfred Benitez
    Joe Walcott
    Barney Ross
    Kid Gavilan

That's about ten alone.

Comment

• Originally posted by BennyST View Post
      What?

Is that some sort of weird NSB joke?

Or is this the point that NSB has come to these days?

Emile Griffith
      Jose napoles
      Henry Armstrong
      Ray Leonard
      Ray Robinson
      Roberto Duran
      Tommy Hearns
      Wilfred Benitez
      Joe Walcott
      Barney Ross
      Kid Gavilan

That's about ten alone.
      I love the notion that just because a fighter came before another, he's automatically better. Anyway, Floyd loses to Hearns, and probably Duran at 135. But Floyd is a more skilled and complete fighter than anyone on that list.

Comment

I love the notion that just because a fighter came before another, he's automatically better. Anyway, Floyd loses to Hearns, and probably Duran at 135. But Floyd is a more skilled and complete fighter than anyone on that list.
        That tired old argument? It has nothing to do with older being better. You specifically said that Manny and Floyd would beat everyone in the history of welterweight boxing except for three dudes max and that Floyd is a more skilled and complete than everyone in the history of 147.

I'm not disagreeing that Floyd isn't as skilled as anyone in that list, but I'd comfortably favour at least three guys over him, and pick nearly all to have very close fights that could go either way and a bucket load more that arent on that list to give him fights that could easily see him losing. I'd pick most of the guys to beat Pac and more than just three to do it clearly. There's a difference between ignorance and reality.

The difference between you and me? You're blind to everyone that came before, to the point that you talk about Pac and Floyd being among the greatest welterweights of all time that would beat every welterweight in history except a couple. It's got nothing to do with 'older is better'. It's got to do with having actually seen past welterweights and knowing about more than today's two top guys.

Floyd does well in every era simply because of his craft, defensive savvy and skilled counter punching, but there are a lot more than just a couple of guys at 147 that would not be just equal but stand as favourites. Looking great against guys like Ortiz, Guerrero, Baldomir, Judah etc is different than looking great against guys like Leonard, Hearns, Benitez, Griffith, Duran, Robinson....and that's not even getting to fighters like Tito, Breland, Brown, Curry, Starling etc.

Have you seen Mark Breland fight? Marlon Starling? Simon Brown? Those guys aren't 'old school' and it has nothing to do with older being better, but they'd give Floyd hell like no one today could.

Pac, as good as he is today at 147, would get beaten by a lot of guys there throughout the history of the division, and I'm not talking about the greats of the division either. Put him in the mix during the 80's at 147 and you'd see him losing to more than just a 40 year old lightweight. Pacquiao wouldn't even stand atop the 90's era at 147 against Tito, Whitaker, Oscar, Forrest, Quartey, etc.

To say that Pac and Floyd are top 3/5 of all time at 147 on talent alone and beat everyone in the division bar a couple of guys is to be in utter ignorance of the actual level of talent in the division. It's that simple and has nothing to do with 'older is better' mate.

What's next? Sergio Martinez would beat everyone in history at 160 except one or two guys.

Comment

Floyd and Manny haven't faced the level of opposition those other guys did.

Comment

• Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            That tired old argument? It has nothing to do with older being better. You specifically said that Manny and Floyd would beat everyone in the history of welterweight boxing except for three dudes max and that Floyd is a more skilled and complete than everyone in the history of 147.

I'm not disagreeing that Floyd isn't as skilled as anyone in that list, but I'd comfortably favour at least three guys over him, and pick nearly all to have very close fights that could go either way and a bucket load more that arent on that list to give him fights that could easily see him losing. I'd pick most of the guys to beat Pac and more than just three to do it clearly. There's a difference between ignorance and reality.

The difference between you and me? You're blind to everyone that came before, to the point that you talk about Pac and Floyd being among the greatest welterweights of all time that would beat every welterweight in history except a couple. It's got nothing to do with 'older is better'. It's got to do with having actually seen past welterweights and knowing about more than today's two top guys.

Floyd does well in every era simply because of his craft, defensive savvy and skilled counter punching, but there are a lot more than just a couple of guys at 147 that would not be just equal but stand as favourites. Looking great against guys like Ortiz, Guerrero, Baldomir, Judah etc is different than looking great against guys like Leonard, Hearns, Benitez, Griffith, Duran, Robinson....and that's not even getting to fighters like Tito, Breland, Brown, Curry, Starling etc.

Have you seen Mark Breland fight? Marlon Starling? Simon Brown? Those guys aren't 'old school' and it has nothing to do with older being better, but they'd give Floyd hell like no one today could.

Pac, as good as he is today at 147, would get beaten by a lot of guys there throughout the history of the division, and I'm not talking about the greats of the division either. Put him in the mix during the 80's at 147 and you'd see him losing to more than just a 40 year old lightweight. Pacquiao wouldn't even stand atop the 90's era at 147 against Tito, Whitaker, Oscar, Forrest, Quartey, etc.

To say that Pac and Floyd are top 3/5 of all time at 147 on talent alone and beat everyone in the division bar a couple of guys is to be in utter ignorance of the actual level of talent in the division. It's that simple and has nothing to do with 'older is better' mate.

What's next? Sergio Martinez would beat everyone in history at 160 except one or two guys.
            Good post.......

Comment

• Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
              hate ray leonard.....dunno why......so im gonna pick duran
              Lol at least you're honest

Comment

Working...
              X