No announcement yet.

Better Win. Frazier over Ali or Roberto Duran over Ray Leonard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sammiza567 View Post
    just imo, but i feel duran over sugar is the better win. i think joe was closer to ali in terms of overall boxing ability than duran was to leonard, and duran is one of the atg at 135. ray was just much better than him and peaked at a higher weight than him. i think duran had to do more to get that W than frazier did. nothing against smoking joe, an amazing win over an undefeated Ali.
    Although I agree, Duran win over Leonard is better than the Frazier win over Ali, it's not because Leonard was the better boxer. Duran was most definitely the better boxer; it was a better fight because they were the best of their divisions and they fought when they were at their very best. The fact that the little man won, to me, makes his win better.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
      Duran definitely I think. He was older, smaller, considered to be a little past his best with bad training habits and moving up two more divisions from his best weight against a prime, undefeated ATG at his best weight. Epic win.
      Some good remarks in this thread so far, but I think this post makes the best points.

Frazier was younger than Ali. Muhammad had just come off a three-and-a-half year ban, which robbed him of prime years. (Imagine coming off such a long layoff and then having to fight the heavyweight champ!)

Duran's best weight is universally acknowledged as 135. He moved up and beat one of the greatest welters of all time. That in itself probably bests Joe's achievement.

Comment

I don't see how people are picking Duran over Leonard, when Leonard fought in a way he had never fought before against big punchers. He fought toe to toe and didn't box. Its no wonder he lost.

Comment

Even though Ali-Frazier was bigger.... Durans win was better IMO

Comment

Working...
          X