Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wish Boxing was more popular with the youth.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slickslysmooth View Post
    I try hard man, but my friends hold UFC PPVs at my friends house with like 15 of us watching. I got to admit Anderson Silva is probably the only fighter I've seen bob and weave(Him vs Bonnar) so effectively and smooth just like Ali or Toney. Other than him I don't have much interest besides the reckless fighting I see it as. Kids just can't sit through 12 rounds of a magnificent chess game.
    Anderson Silva is the truth,he was once a pro boxer in his younger days but that man can just straight up fight,there is no style he is uncomfortable with

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      I said it was "anecdotal evidence," not proof. I also said that "the numbers seem to support that it's not all propaganda." Are you going to argue with the statistics?
      Fine. I'm seventeen so there's your anecdotal evidence. I can be whatever I want on the internet.

I posted the statistics in this thread. They don't show too much of a significant difference. UFC is slightly ahead with the youth but it's not a great difference. Boxing is literally twice the size of the UFC in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by MR. LARRYX View Post
        We need more boxing fans to take interest in the younger generation and open gyms or go to youth centers and pass along the knowledge of the sweet science.
        Originally posted by MR. LARRYX View Post
        Anderson Silva is the truth,he was once a pro boxer in his younger days but that man can just straight up fight,there is no style he is uncomfortable with
        Respect for the Pancho Villa, I'm Filipino. Lol.

Comment

i knew this thread would come to an mma vs boxing argument but all i have to say is if you look at the recent ratings and ppv buys for boxing they have for sure been on the upswing and for mma it is quite the opposite since they signed the fox deal and im not saying this but i know ppl who follow mma and say that it has been on the slide since 2009 and if u want to talk about which sport is bigger globally it is Boxing by a country mile at the present bc it has been around so much longer but im not saying it will always be that way but i personally think it will imo. either way follow whatever u like i do not understand the comparisons but people are set on comparing them.

Comment

my younger brother is 19 and him and 2 of his friends are big boxing fans that is a real life circumstance but dont know how that applies

Comment

boxing is not that big with my friends although 3 of my friends follow it a bit more than casually but all i think is it is a good time to be a boxing fan with all the young fighters coming up saul alvarez, andre ward, nonito donaire, adrien broner, leo santa cruz, brandon rios, jose benavidez, deontay wilder and many more fighters i am excited about

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post
                Fine. I'm seventeen so there's your anecdotal evidence. I can be whatever I want on the internet.

I posted the statistics in this thread. They don't show too much of a significant difference. UFC is slightly ahead with the youth but it's not a great difference. Boxing is literally twice the size of the UFC in the US.
                I understand you're going off memory, but if your stats are reasonably accurate, boxing is more than twice as popular in the United States as UFC. However, based on the numbers, I disagree that the youth disparity isn't that great. For one, a 4.5 million person difference is significant when you're talking about relatively small numbers to begin with (12.5 million and 17 million). For another, 80% of a fanbase versus 25% is immense. Those numbers suggest that UFC is indeed a young person's sport.

Younger people, by and large, want to listen to the same music, wear the same clothes and watch the same sports as other young people. They influence each other far more than older people influence them. It's reasonable to infer that UFC will only continue to attract more young people than boxing.

Comment

football and basketball.... that's all it is

Comment

Originally posted by HUGEBOXINGFAN View Post
                    i knew this thread would come to an mma vs boxing argument but all i have to say is if you look at the recent ratings and ppv buys for boxing they have for sure been on the upswing and for mma it is quite the opposite since they signed the fox deal and im not saying this but i know ppl who follow mma and say that it has been on the slide since 2009 and if u want to talk about which sport is bigger globally it is Boxing by a country mile at the present bc it has been around so much longer but im not saying it will always be that way but i personally think it will imo. either way follow whatever u like i do not understand the comparisons but people are set on comparing them.
                    It's a topic, that's all...no more or no less interesting than most of the other things discussed on this forum. Why do we compare fighters? lol

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                      I understand you're going off memory, but if your stats are reasonably accurate, boxing is more than twice as popular in the United States as UFC. However, based on the numbers, I disagree that the youth disparity isn't that great. For one, a 4.5 million person difference is significant when you're talking about relatively small numbers to begin with (12.5 million and 17 million). For another, 80% of a fanbase versus 25% is immense. Those numbers suggest that UFC is indeed a young person's sport.

Younger people, by and large, want to listen to the same music, wear the same clothes and watch the same sports as other young people. They influence each other far more than older people influence them. It's reasonable to infer that UFC will only continue to attract more young people than boxing.
                      im not disagreeing with what you are saying but a big thing both of u are missing is different demographics and ethnicities in the young demographic i remember reading an article where it was about corona/tecate talking about how boxing was their number one platform for reaching hispanics from 18-34 and why they do so much promotion in the sport is bc so many of their customers are fans of it

Comment

Working...
                      X