No announcement yet.

Saturdays round the corner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturdays round the corner

With the WBA light-welterweight championship fight just around the corner, I thought I'd take the time and have a quick look at tho fighters.

Firstly Khan.

Having come out of the Olympics with the nation behind him this has quickly deminished, he has had a pretty easy way up so far fighting journeymen or fighters who are over the hill. He has fought to legitimate "prime" fighters in Prescott and Kotelnik.

Khan had so many flaws when he turned pro that anyone could have landed on his chin, this was shown many times by Limond, Gomez and most infamousley Prescott. Having watched the 54 second Prescott, it is so easy to see the differences in the Khan from then and the Khan that is now. If you look back Khan used to move in straight lines, his gloves where low and if he had the chance of a knock out he would get excited and careless. If we look at Khan now, he has a good defence, uses speed and angles to his advantage and his ring movement has become very good. There was a round during the Kotelnik fight where if you watch Khan was even moving like Naz, not comparing them, but the way he was dodging the punches was extremely similar. Khan is a completely different fighter from a few years ago and with Roach in his corner he could have a great career.

If we look at Salita he is an unbeaten fighter, but with no great names on his record. However an unbeaten fighter is always dangerous. He has worked hard to get where he is and although he isn't flashy what he does he does well. He has quick hands, but is also bigger than Khan, infact expect him to come in on the borders of Welterweight on fight night. The one punch Khan has to be aware of is Salitas crouching left hook, the punches that you don't see coming are the most dangerous and that one is very well disguised.

On the undercard we have Mitchell vs Prescott, going to be fireworks during this. Mitchell should win with ease if he boxes, however if he goes into thinking the same way he did when he fought Johansen it will end up being a slug fest and that will only favour Prescott. We have the Olympians, I think we all want to see more of the same from them, they all have the talent to go along way in the sport, lets hope they continue to win.

The only fight I'm really dissapointed about is the Enzo Mac fight. He should have hung up his gloves after the last fight, he has never recovered after being demolished by Haye and as such is now risking getting seriously hurt. It's a shame that this has happened, he is a genuinley nice guy and it would be horrible to see Enzo get really hurt.

All in all I think that Khan will win, either by UD or a late stoppage but as I say Salita is hungry and will do anything to leave with the belt so don't write him off just yet. Mitchell needs to box, if he tries to blast Prescott out of there it will favour Prescott. Rememeber that Mitchell is moving up in weight and that nobody will have hit him as hard as Prescott will.

good post. Finally something different other then mayweather and pac

Comment

There's so much boxing going on this week I didn't even realize Khan was fighting Saturday.

Thanks for the report. Did you write it up yourself?

Comment

Aye I did mate, got posted up on the BBC 606 boards but didn't get a good respsonse so thought I'd stick it up here as well

Comment

Originally posted by hamo17 View Post
          Aye I did mate, got posted up on the BBC 606 boards but didn't get a good respsonse so thought I'd stick it up here as well
          Great job.

Solid fight for Khan, I'm going to predict a UD.

What's the word on the supposed 140lb. tournament, is it still going to happen?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan-O-Mac View Post
            Great job.

Solid fight for Khan, I'm going to predict a UD.

What's the word on the supposed 140lb. tournament, is it still going to happen?
            I think khan would win and even could knock out salita, he's been rocked before. The most dangerous opponent of an unbeaten fighter is his sense of invincibility, if salita comes in too confident in to this fight, which it seems from all the reports, he might stick his head out way more often than usual, which khan could take advantage of and which could lead to a very disappointing evening for salita. The difference with floyd is that he is only cocky outside the ring, but becomes an entirely different person when inside of it.

Comment

Working...
            X