Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
    100+ years of boxing talent vs. 14?

Seems fair
    As I've quite clearly stated, I know it seems lopsided but this is in response to those who claim modern heavyweights would beat many of the greats of the past, one of their main reasons is advancement in sports nutrition and size. The fact that you have found this comparison ridiculous reflects just how asinine those comments are.

Originally posted by Holywarrior View Post
    Dempsey top 10? Nah.
    Why not?

Before Ali, he was quite often ranked amongst the to 5, something like Louis, Johnson, Marciano, Dempsey and any of Tunney/Liston/Charles/Sullivan.

Since Ali, the only true ATG heavyweights have been Foreman, Frazier, Holmes, Tyson, Holyfield and Lewis.

Arguments can be made for Patterson, possibly Spinks, maybe Bowe. Dempsey has a great argument for a top 10, as do Tyson and Liston but I edged some of the other names.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
      I half-way took this seriously until I read the highlighted parts.

Lets start with Wladimir.

He's been stopped 3 times in his losses. Two of those times was due to fatigue and not really because he got his 'chin smashed into a million pieces'. LOL!

It should be noted that in his Sanders loss, it was a TKO and he was on his feet when the fight was stopped.

Next, saying Vitali is slow and plodding is an insult to Foreman bro and Vitali has never been outworked or out skilled in a boxing match which includes a 14-2 title fight record.

I can see the whole point of the thread is another attempt to crap on the Klitschko era once again seeing as how you have a full century of fighters listed in one column and just over a decade in the other.

This crap is transparent. Why just not come right out and say, "I don't like or respect the Klitschko era", and save everyone the worthless read.

(waiting on the reply saying how this has nothing to do with personal dislike for the Klitschko's or this era which doesn't include A) a black/african decended champ or B) an American champ, which will surely be complete lying BS)
      just go away.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterHardtop View Post
        Well if you think I am crapping on the Klitschkos, then you obviously haven't read many of my previous posts. I've always respected the two and hold them in high regard. Am I crapping on the post 2000 era? Most definitely, outside of the brothers, there hasn't been a single heavyweight worthy of the title "champion", not one. Maybe you can refresh my memory.

I agree, Vitali hasn't been outboxed in his era but if you read what you. yourself have highlighted, you will see I'm saying the likes of Ali can outbox him. So your whole point is mute.

This thread was in response to the many threads that have popped up about how current heavyweights would be too much for heavyweights of the past but when you break it down and look at the top 10s alone, there is noway you can say anyone below the top 2 post-2000 can even hold a candle to the likes of Ali, Holmes etc.

In terms of Wladimir, it is fair to say exhaustion had a huge roll to play in his stoppages but he was also dropped in those fights and badly hurt. Samuel Peter, who even you must admit probably hits a tenth as hard as the likes of Shavers, Tyson and Dempsey, had Wlad on the floor 3 times.
        I LOL'd at mute point reference and then when I got to the part where you said Peter hits 1/10th as hard as 180 lb Dempsey I remembered how utterly ignorant you are and how this is a waste of my time.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
          just go away.
          Did you actually watch those fights? (Brewster and Purrity)

Sanders is the only fighter to legitimately beat a Wlad that was not too tired to stand up. (I know it doesn't matter since a loss is a loss but it's the truth)

Comment

I LOL'd at mute point reference and then when I got to the part where you said Peter hits 1/10th as hard as 180 lb Dempsey I remembered how utterly ignorant you are and how this is a waste of my time.
            You believe Samuel Peter hits harder than Dempsey? That is quite honestly a terrible point of view, how is that justified?

When someone has naturally punching ability, weight is almost a non-issue, for example, Golovkin currently probably hits harder than most light-heavyweights, a prime Naseem Hamed probably hit harder than most lightweights and he didn't exactly have the physique of a puncher.

Comment

Did you actually watch those fights? (Brewster and Purrity)

Sanders is the only fighter to legitimately beat a Wlad that was not too tired to stand up. (I know it doesn't matter since a loss is a loss but it's the truth)
              Yes I've watched all three fights multiple times.

Wlad legitimately lost all three times - It's no one elses fault than his own if he didn't come in the shape he should have been in.

It was due to him being the worse fighter on the night all three times, nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

People who think punching power has anything to do with weight....

Comment

Originally posted by MisterHardtop View Post
                  Well if you think I am crapping on the Klitschkos, then you obviously haven't read many of my previous posts. I've always respected the two and hold them in high regard. Am I crapping on the post 2000 era? Most definitely, outside of the brothers, there hasn't been a single heavyweight worthy of the title "champion", not one. Maybe you can refresh my memory.

I agree, Vitali hasn't been outboxed in his era but if you read what you. yourself have highlighted, you will see I'm saying the likes of Ali can outbox him. So your whole point is mute.

This thread was in response to the many threads that have popped up about how current heavyweights would be too much for heavyweights of the past but when you break it down and look at the top 10s alone, there is noway you can say anyone below the top 2 post-2000 can even hold a candle to the likes of Ali, Holmes etc.

In terms of Wladimir, it is fair to say exhaustion had a huge roll to play in his stoppages but he was also dropped in those fights and badly hurt. Samuel Peter, who even you must admit probably hits a tenth as hard as the likes of Shavers, Tyson and Dempsey, had Wlad on the floor 3 times.

sam peter hits much harder than jack dempsey.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    sam peter hits much harder than jack dempsey.
                    Joe Frazier is a poor man's Sam Peter

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                      Joe Frazier is a poor man's Sam Peter

nobody is saying he's a great fighter. i've seen every recorded dempsey fight to my knowledge, and all of peter's work that i need to / care to see.

peter is a much bigger puncher.

Comment

Working...
                      X