Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any fighters come to mind when you hear the term "unfulfilled potential"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tokumbo olijidae, or however you spell it.......

Comment

Did I read Rocky Juarez?

He was who he was, man.

Comment

Ibaebuchi if he wasn't bat **** crazy

Zab Judah had all sort of potential but was never able to put it all together really even though he had a decent career.

Riddick Bowe could have been the next great American heavy.

Comment

I thought Jermaine Taylor could have been a lot better.

Comment

I pick a guy that died. You guys pick guys who had numerous chances but ****ed them up. LOL.

Comment

David Reid. Why match making and a willingness to throw in the towel is required.

Comment

I'm not sure Ortiz was ever that good. He had his moments in fights but he faded badly in lots of them. He's a bit like Zab, except Zab was much more talented.

Agree on James Toney. He could have been whatever he wanted.

Depending on how deep you want to dig, I think you could look at a guy like Amir Khan as not having fulfilled his potential too. In his amateur years his handspeed was so exceptional several other aspects of his game got ignored. Imagine how good he could be/have been if he was technically sounder.

Apart from the ones who didn't seem to have it upstairs, those guys who have a severe imbalance in their skillset are the ones you look at and think they could have been incredible with the right development. Broner is a guy who's development went wrong. Fights in the wrong style given the things he's good at. A sharp, accurate combination puncher with fast hands waddling around the ring in a shell posture. He's an offensive fighter who tries to fight as a counter-puncher. It just doesn't work.

Matthysse is another one. If he had Golovkin's technical schooling he could have been immense. Unlike Golovkin he's too uncertain in initiating offence and doesn't have the same quality of foot placement. He boxes too much for the natural bruiser he is. If he was more creative in setting up attacks he'd be twice the fighter he is.

Comment

Zaheer Rahim. Really much of that entire 96 Olympic team with the exception of Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by RawDawgHasSpokn View Post
                    CHavez Jr.

Has the Chin, the power, and the fanbase to be to be great for the sport....he also could care less.

Andrew Golota could have been good but his mental demons were the worst I've seen.

I agree that Broner could be on that path, his management (and lack of defense) might be his doom though.

Marvis Frazi.....hahahahahahaha
                    He was a real talent at HW, I'm still baffled at his behaviour in the bowe fights.
                    Totally dominating and then threw it away.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
                      Zaheer Rahim. Really much of that entire 96 Olympic team with the exception of Floyd.
                      Shudder. He was horrible to watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X