Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Needing constructive feedback on my latest short doc on WW prospect ft Keith Thurman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice, much more interesting than the what the major networks have been putting out these days!

Comment

This video made me interested in the guy. Really well done. A great soundtrack always enhances a film or show and your selection was really good. I particularly liked your choice during that body slam he suffered. Good luck.

Comment

That was a beautiful thing. I congratulate and thank you for making it, I enjoyed watching it.

As you're looking for constructive feedback, one minor detail that stood out for me was the title graphic. The slamming steel plate and bolts with the mini explosion felt too abrupt. 'A change is gonna come' playing over the river shot hinted at a progressive journey and I think it would be best to stick with that overall feel. The graphic interrupted that for me and felt out of place.

I'd suggest bringing a title graphic in a little later and working it in to one of your shots. The training sequence where you up the tempo with the use of drums (which I thought was excellent) would be a good place to do this. As Clarence is running up the hill towards the camera there's room on the right side of the shot at 5:42 to fade in a simple bold face text (to mirror the Spartan life of a boxer) of 'The Pursuit with Clarence Booth'. I'd maybe keep that there until briefly pausing the shot at 5:47, dropping the title, and letting the rest of the shot run. Coupling the title 'The Pursuit' with your subject sprinting up the hill could work quite well.

You could also use the colour transition from black and white to make a statement on how his life has changed and progressed through boxing and in particular his dedication to training. This again could work well if you kept the piece black and white up until the point at the end of the training sequence where you drop the drums as he reaches the top of the hill at 6:19. The shot as the sun can be seen through the clearing in the trees would be a nice place to make that transition to colour.

I only offer those suggestions because if I've put in a criticism it's only right that I put a little thought into how it could be rectified. I really like what you've done there and you have my admiration and respect. Once again, congratulations.

Comment

Originally posted by dre23000 View Post
          I just finished my latest video on WW Clarence Booth and I'm looking for honest feedback. I would love to know what you like, and what you didn't like. Thanks a lot!

Well done! I didn't have a clue about him before watching the video, but by the end I became a fan. Best of success to you and Clarence Booth.

Comment

Originally posted by - Ram Raid - View Post
            That was a beautiful thing. I congratulate and thank you for making it, I enjoyed watching it.

As you're looking for constructive feedback, one minor detail that stood out for me was the title graphic. The slamming steel plate and bolts with the mini explosion felt too abrupt. 'A change is gonna come' playing over the river shot hinted at a progressive journey and I think it would be best to stick with that overall feel. The graphic interrupted that for me and felt out of place.

I'd suggest bringing a title graphic in a little later and working it in to one of your shots. The training sequence where you up the tempo with the use of drums (which I thought was excellent) would be a good place to do this. As Clarence is running up the hill towards the camera there's room on the right side of the shot at 5:42 to fade in a simple bold face text (to mirror the Spartan life of a boxer) of 'The Pursuit with Clarence Booth'. I'd maybe keep that there until briefly pausing the shot at 5:47, dropping the title, and letting the rest of the shot run. Coupling the title 'The Pursuit' with your subject sprinting up the hill could work quite well.

You could also use the colour transition from black and white to make a statement on how his life has changed and progressed through boxing and in particular his dedication to training. This again could work well if you kept the piece black and white up until the point at the end of the training sequence where you drop the drums as he reaches the top of the hill at 6:19. The shot as the sun can be seen through the clearing in the trees would be a nice place to make that transition to colour.

I only offer those suggestions because if I've put in a criticism it's only right that I put a little thought into how it could be rectified. I really like what you've done there and you have my admiration and respect. Once again, congratulations.
            Yeah I see what you're saying about the title graphic coming in at an awkward time. I actually had something else there which would of given that moment more context but it was a little too personal for the boxers taste so i had to edit it out. I like your idea on putting the title graphic during his run up the mountain although I thought that would of been too long to wait to finally come across the graphic. I would of had to open up with that sequence which wouldn't have been a been thing.

I will definitely save your feedback and reference back to it when I start my new video because I found it extremely helpful. Thanks a lot for taking the time to dissect it the way you did. I think I read it about 6 times already. lol

Comment

Very compelling piece. It keeps you intrigued and that's huge when it comes to documentaries.

I like how it focuses on the lifestyle of an athlete, but by presenting it from the perspective of an up and comer. The raw / hungry mentality and situation. It does a great job of making you care about the fighter, enough to make you want to keep tabs on his career.

Excellent work all around man. From the camera work, to the editing, to the story telling... It was a very well done piece.

Comment

The dude sparring in the video with the st. pete boxing tank top, was that Mike?

Man, seeing my gym on this site reminds me I need to get back in the gym.

Comment

Good stuff!! Keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by dre23000 View Post
                    Yeah I see what you're saying about the title graphic coming in at an awkward time. I actually had something else there which would of given that moment more context but it was a little too personal for the boxers taste so i had to edit it out. I like your idea on putting the title graphic during his run up the mountain although I thought that would of been too long to wait to finally come across the graphic. I would of had to open up with that sequence which wouldn't have been a been thing.

I will definitely save your feedback and reference back to it when I start my new video because I found it extremely helpful. Thanks a lot for taking the time to dissect it the way you did. I think I read it about 6 times already. lol
                    I felt that when I suggested it. Mentally I then started to reorganise the sequences before it to see where it could best fit in but I stopped myself for a few reasons.

Firstly, I would have sat thinking about it for hours. Secondly I didn't feel comfortable mentally cutting up something that you've obviously spent a lot of time and attention on. And lastly, I really like they way that it opens and the pacing of it, you had me straight away, so bringing that training section forward would risk compromising that. So then I would have had to get deeper into it and I would of been thinking about it for days!

So I guess that all amounts to saying that you've engaged me with this, and judging by the other comments I'm certainly not the only one. In today's world the ability to gain and hold people's attention is a valuable commodity. As firstborn noted in his post, there are people with more experience, resources and funding who aren't able to do that so very well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Golovkin View Post
                      Very compelling piece. It keeps you intrigued and that's huge when it comes to documentaries.

I like how it focuses on the lifestyle of an athlete, but by presenting it from the perspective of an up and comer. The raw / hungry mentality and situation. It does a great job of making you care about the fighter, enough to make you want to keep tabs on his career.

Excellent work all around man. From the camera work, to the editing, to the story telling... It was a very well done piece.
                      I was kinda skeptical about making this video 15mins long since I know most have short attention spans when it comes to YouTube videos but I am glad to see that the video kept u intrigued. Thanks a lot for taking time to watch and for the compliments, its much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X