No announcement yet.

fighting off the ropes or the backfoot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fighting off the ropes or the backfoot

who in history was the best exponent of fighting off the backfoot and being effective on the backfoot or off the ropes

Originally posted by KostyaTszyu44 View Post
    who in history was the best exponent of fighting off the backfoot and being effective on the backfoot or off the ropes

Great question. I have no idea. I only know Benitez destroyed Palimino by staying on the ropes and countering which won a lot of praise. Mayweather is pretty succesful having his back against the ropes. While he may not look dominant doing so, he accomplishes his point, but tiring his opponent out, not gettin his, then taking it to that fighter.

Then you hav to say Ali. Hell most of the 2nd part of his career was spent against the ropes, and he beat some very good fighters doing so.

Comment

On the backfoot, Roy Jones and obviously Ali.

Comment

Backfoot - Ali

Back to the wall - Sugar Ray Robinson

Comment

I'm going to throw Whitaker in there too.

Comment

Originally posted by black.ink View Post
            I'm going to throw Whitaker in there too.
            Against the ropes Mayweather. Back foot RJJ and Ali like its been said here

Comment

yeah all good choices

SRR was pretty effective off the backfoot...i mean he knocked a dude out with a left hook as he moved back

Comment

Azumah Nelson. Brilliant off the ropes and on the backfoot, he could throw punches with full force at weird angles while going backwards and was great fighting off the ropes, he gave a masterclass of this against Fenech in their second fight.

Comment

off the ropes?? no mention of James Toney? that man has brilliant countering skills off of the ropes

Comment

James Toney can be a joy to watch, especially when on the ropes. Terrific at fighting off the ropes.

Comment

Working...
                    X