Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In 3 fights Algieri has went from undefeated prospect to safe steppingstone opponent

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
    Agree with this. Algieri isn't a bad fighter at all, but he's coming off a really embarrassing loss and is a stylistic dream for Khan. There were much better fights for Khan to take.
    I never said he was a bad fighter.....he just doesn't belong in the ring with world class welterweights like Pacquaio and now Khan

He is now being used a steppingstone/ showcase opponent who is known enough by the public, but doesn't pose the threat of a ko....which is why Khan is fighting him.....to play it safe, keep winning and hopes he gets Manny oR mONEY......Pacquaio used him because he couldn't punch, was undefeated, had a belt from a lower weight(like Bradley) but unlike Bradley he wasn't selected to be a competitive opponent, nor did he have a chance to win.

He already has wins over fringe but good Emmanuel Taylor, and Provodnikov at 140, why not move back down and establish himself at a weight where he can make the best out of his career

He will get used up if he doesn't move back down

Comment

Chris is a future ATG, all he needs to do is make some TBE hats and he's the real deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Divine Hammer View Post
        Algieri is a good intelligent boxer. He was an undefeated champion not prospect. He beat Taylor far better than broner did, and he beat Provo far better than Bradley did. He outboxed maidana in sparring many times.

Only reason IMO this is a poor match up is because 1) he is no longer undefeated or a champion 2) there are better available options for khan at 147 3) algieri doesn't have the power to really get khan's respect 4) he is in the middle of transitioning to a new trainer so I don't think he has a lot of time to get situated and learn/implement anything new

Khan just seems content to avoid the big punchers at welterweight who can upset his chances of fighting the mayweather vs pac winner.
        I totally agree with this

Comment

I don't think algieri is terrible but 2 things about him. There was no reason at all he shoulda fought manny. He wasn't ready. And 2, khan keeps talking like he's a big shot and keeps sucking off manny and floyd but hasnt fought a legit threat since garcia

Comment

Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
            Khan went with his third soft puncher in a row for a reason, too bad it's going to make for a boring fight.
            Fifth. Molina, Diaz, Collazo, Alexander and now Algieri.

Funny thing is, the two best "soft" punchers are still out there (Bradley and Mayweather) for him to potentially fight.

By my count Khan has fought 4 punchers in his career, Prescott, Maidana, Judah and Garcia and he lost 2 of them. If you're Khan do you rush towards fighting another puncher?

Originally posted by mastertech1985 View Post
            He already has wins over fringe but good Emmanuel Taylor, and Provodnikov at 140, why not move back down and establish himself at a weight where he can make the best out of his career
            The answer to that is easy, money. Khan fight likely represents a good payday. Algieri isn't young either, he's 31.
            Last edited by Weebler I; 04-03-2015, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
              Fifth. Molina, Diaz, Collazo, Alexander and now Algieri.

Funny thing is, the two best "soft" punchers are still out there (Bradley and Mayweather) for him to fight.

The answer to that is easy, money. Khan fight likely represents a good payday. Algieri isn't young either, he's 31.
              yea he is not a spring chicken but damn....he went from espn and non-televised fights to fighting two of the best fighters of the last 10 years at 140-147

I would at least like to see him face some guys he has a chance to beat....he is a good fighter, seems like a nice guy.....Its happened hundreds of times......by the time his career is over it more 25-6 or 30-10

31 years old isn't ancient either....he knows how to fight already but facing guys that are naturally larger, have more experience on the world class level, and having no punching power at all is career suicide

Comment

he's a decent fighter, but only pac can get away with fighting Algeiri type fighters, Floyd cant, he's good enough for a pac fight but not Mayweather jr. that should tell you something...Money is gonna dominate manny and people will see why manny has been fighting rios and algeiri level fighters...Bob Arum is a good promoter and you will see how good he is when Pac gets worked over.

Comment

Algeri is a freakin bum.

Comment

I'm still baffled on how ppl actually still think Algeiri beat Provonikov. He is C + class let's be real.

Comment

Title should read "In 3 fights, Algieri went from nearly unknown fighter who had never been out of NY to World famous, rich, and a legit conversation piece in the boxing community."

This time last year, I'm not sure I could have picked Algieri out of a line up. In the last calender year he won an alphabet belt, went the distance with the #2 P4P fighter on the planet, and is now lined up for another huge pay day with Khan...who by the way, I would not write this off as an easy win for Amir. That's not to say I'd put money on Chris, but I certainly am not going to write him off.

At some point, you need to stop fighting the locals and journeymen and actually step up to the contenders and champs. That's what he's done, and he's done a fine job with it. Plus he managed to GAIN fans in his only loss. What's the point of being an "undefeated prospect" forever? This way, he's a former champ who can say he faced Manny. Those are two impressive lines on any boxer's resume. He became a headliner getting paid real money, isn't that the goal?

Comment

Working...
                      X