Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roger Mayweather: "Floyd and Khan Sparred Before" (Video)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    You're stating the obvious. Nearly every orthodox fighter has trouble adjusting to southpaws early on.
    I disagree, Floyd's style of defense makes him a bit more vulnerable to southpaws.

His glove is glued to the right side of his face and the way he rolls he's vulnerable to right hooks. Right hooks more so than the straight left. Ortiz clipped him with a few good ones. It's how Corley hurt him and Judah knocked him off balance.

I agree that everyone has trouble adjusting to southpaws and that's definitely part of it, but there's a little more to it with Floyd IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
      I disagree, Floyd's style of defense makes him a bit more vulnerable to southpaws.

His glove is glued to the right side of his face and the way he rolls he's vulnerable to right hooks. Right hooks more so than the straight left. Ortiz clipped him with a few good ones. It's how Corley hurt him and Judah knocked him off balance.

I agree that everyone has trouble adjusting to southpaws and that's definitely part of it, but there's a little more to it with Floyd IMO.
      Floyd has beaten the breaks off of every southpaw he has fought. Lefties doing better against him than orthodox fighters is just a myth.

I thought the 5 toughest fights of Mayweather's career[tough in their own way, Mayweather standards], came against 5 orthodox fighters. Burton, Castillo, De La Hoya, Mosley, and Hatton.

I mentioned Mosley because the only reason people mention Judah and Corley are because they landed one big shot, which Mosley did too, and did it a lot better, and did it twice. Burton, Castillo, and Hatton were three physically tough fights for Floyd, a lot more difficult than Corley and Judah. De La Hoya has been, IMO, the most competitive Mayweather opponent to date.

Judah, Corley, and Ortiz all got their ass handed to them.

Comment

Everyone remembers the right hook Corley landed but people forget it was set up by a straight left that kept landing early and often from rounds one to three. No question Floyd was wary of that punch when he let his guard down and walked into the hook in the fourth. Roy Jones struggled with southpaws for this reason as well. But Floyd employed some different tactics against Ortiz that I think would serve him well against a Martinez or Pacquiao.

Comment

I wonder when this sparring took place. If I had to guess, it was right after the Prescott fight when Khan was shopping for a new trainer. Still I find it odd that Khan has never mentioned it (when he always mentions every damn thing).

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
            Everyone remembers the right hook Corley landed but people forget it was set up by a straight left that kept landing early and often from rounds one to three. No question Floyd was wary of that punch when he let his guard down and walked into the hook in the fourth. Roy Jones struggled with southpaws for this reason as well. But Floyd employed some different tactics against Ortiz that I think would serve him well against a Martinez or Pacquiao.
            I hear what you mean with Corley definitely true. But just thinking about Floyd's movement....he holds his right hand up to the right side of his face with his left hand around his stomach and leans to the left. He even does this against southpaw's which is why he gets caught.

Obviously he doesn't ALWAYS do this, but it's his default defensive stance. His reflexes are good enough to get away with it 9 times out of 10 but he's set up to get caught with right hooks. Just talking x's and o's. He adjusts which is why he's the best in the sport, but from my experience that punch is what he's most vulnerable to.

Comment

I hear what you mean with Corley definitely true. But just thinking about Floyd's movement....he holds his right hand up to the right side of his face with his left hand around his stomach and leans to the left. He even does this against southpaw's which is why he gets caught.

Obviously he doesn't ALWAYS do this, but it's his default defensive stance. His reflexes are good enough to get away with it 9 times out of 10 but he's set up to get caught with right hooks. Just talking x's and o's. He adjusts which is why he's the best in the sport, but from my experience that punch is what he's most vulnerable to.
              His reflexes seem to be slipping too. That right hook Ortiz caught him with didn't seem to hurt him as much as it seemed to surprise him. I still maintain he doesn't have one or two more fights left at this level...if that.

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
                Floyd's never lost to Southpaws, but he clearly has had more issues with them than your conventional fighter, more notably the early parts of Judah vs Mayweather.

funny how those videos leave out the part in which Mayweather DISMANTLED Judah most of that fight hahaha

Hell Hatton had a lead and was effective against Mayweather early and Mosley landed big shots on Mayweather early in that fight...does that means he struggles with Right Handed Fighters as well? lol

Hard for me to say a guy "STRUGGLES" with certain fighters when all of them he ultimately end up DOMINATING THEM

I would say maybe "HE STARTS OFF SLOWER" against Left Handed Fighters!

You know your a great fighter when people expect PERFECTION FROM YOU, if a fighter lands a few punches on Floyd people are going crazy and posting it on Youtube hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
                  Floyd's never lost to Southpaws, but he clearly has had more issues with them than your conventional fighter, more notably the early parts of Judah vs Mayweather.

i know this vid only shows judah's part but dammm looking at all those body shots he landed on floyd makes me wonder how floyd will react to pac's punches, judah only throws 1 punch at a time just imagine pac going to the body then bamm up top! and the wild punches floyd threw and was missing dammm a pac's left counter will send him to the canvas.

Comment

Originally posted by KnockUTheFukOut View Post
                    funny how those videos leave out the part in which Mayweather DISMANTLED Judah most of that fight hahaha

Hell Hatton had a lead and was effective against Mayweather early and Mosley landed big shots on Mayweather early in that fight...does that means he struggles with Right Handed Fighters as well? lol

Hard for me to say a guy "STRUGGLES" with certain fighters when all of them he ultimately end up DOMINATING THEM

I would say maybe "HE STARTS OFF SLOWER" against Left Handed Fighters!

You know your a great fighter when people expect PERFECTION FROM YOU, if a fighter lands a few punches on Floyd people are going crazy and posting it on Youtube hahaha
                    well thats the thing, "starts off slower".. he might not get that chance to finish into the later rounds if he does that against pac... just sayin though....

Comment

Originally posted by IIG View Post
                      I wonder when this sparring took place. If I had to guess, it was right after the Prescott fight when Khan was shopping for a new trainer. Still I find it odd that Khan has never mentioned it (when he always mentions every damn thing).
                      roger probably smoking the big one again... i find it odd that not even khan or floyd mention that they sparred together before. these 2 are the one with the biggest mouth in this sport. u would think if floyd dominated khan floyd would be dissing khan saying theres no point in fighting khan since floyd already dominated him in sparring. and for khan if khan got the upper hand i would expect him to be bragging about it....

Comment

Working...
                      X