No announcement yet.

The Brown Bomber vs The Brockton Blockbuster

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Da Pimper
    Wilder is way to big for Marciano. Not a realistic fight.
    You are way in over your head. Wilder? He's not "the brown bomber", its Joe Louis. Wilder is the uncoordinated "bronze bomber".

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
      Rocky had a great chin and even more heart, not the best chin though. he went down from time to time. And got hurt, he always recouped though and that's a mental / conditioning type of thing.

Louis at his peak could put a lot of sharp hard shots together in close range, the range Rocky likes. Rocky is tricky though and in better shape than a guy like tony galento..so I think he drags the fight out and loses a decision. Either that or he actually gets stopped. I think Louis was just a better fighter than Rocky, a higher level. Rocky got his glory by bruising through some old savvy light heavys. They weren't even really easy fights for him.

Louis had competition just as weak, the only difference is he bulldozed all of them easily. A chin is a chin and Rocky is a face first fighter, can't see how he takes that kind of firepower from a real heavyweight. I get that Rocky generally nullified people power by crowding them, so it's not like he was taking flush blow after blow to the head - but Louis just knows how to get leverage up close like that. He would only need a few inches.
      Marciano had problems with Charles because Charles was great on the inside and slick. I think Louis was just as good if not better than Charles at close range but wasn't as slick. Louis was also really big compared to Marciano's opponents which favors the Rock. Marciano knocks down Louis at the very least and Marciano's Suzie Q is 10x better than Galento's left hook.

Comment

[QUOTE=sleazyfellow;16868267]Yeah I can't see prime for prime how rocky isn't going to get stopped by Louis, he will walk into those punches and eventually get cut. All old louis had that night against rocky was a jab and still took some time for rocky to put him away.[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
        Marciano had problems with Charles because Charles was great on the inside and slick. I think Louis was just as good if not better than Charles at close range but wasn't as slick. Louis was also really big compared to Marciano's opponents which favors the Rock. Marciano knocks down Louis at the very least and Marciano's Suzie Q is 10x better than Galento's left hook.
        joe Louis isn't as slick as Charles but he's a lot more powerful. old Louis kept rocky on the end of his jab for a few rounds, young Louis would be better at controlling the fight. Marciano was great at slipping punches on the inside but his weakness was that one the outside he ate every jab. louis' straight punches were very hard, after six or eight rounds of this rocky's face would be busted up. he can still win though, Marciano had maybe the best stamina of any hw champ. if rocky wins this fight its by late stoppage, after his face looks like a bloody mask. I think the fight would be very similar to rocky's fight against Walcott, with Walcott winning the fight until he walked into Suzie Q. I think at some point in the late round rocky would figure out the only chance he has to win is to trap Louis against the ropes or in the corner and hammer him with a Suzie Q

Comment

[QUOTE=phallus;16898073]
          Originally posted by sleazyfellow View Post
          Yeah I can't see prime for prime how rocky isn't going to get stopped by Louis, he will walk into those punches and eventually get cut. All old louis had that night against rocky was a jab and still took some time for rocky to put him away.[/QUOTE]

joe Louis isn't as slick as Charles but he's a lot more powerful. old Louis kept rocky on the end of his jab for a few rounds, young Louis would be better at controlling the fight. Marciano was great at slipping punches on the inside but his weakness was that one the outside he ate every jab. louis' straight punches were very hard, after six or eight rounds of this rocky's face would be busted up. he can still win though, Marciano had maybe the best stamina of any hw champ. if rocky wins this fight its by late stoppage, after his face looks like a bloody mask. I think the fight would be very similar to rocky's fight against Walcott, with Walcott winning the fight until he walked into Suzie Q. I think at some point in the late round rocky would figure out the only chance he has to win is to trap Louis against the ropes or in the corner and hammer him with a Suzie Q
          I don't think that Marciano goes from wrecking Louis to eating everything he has and being stopped. I do think however that Louis's jab would be a lot more effective and give Marciano problems. But Joe Louis wasn't a mover like Walcott. Louis stalks his opponents much like Marciano did. The fight would definitely be toe to toe.

Marciano of course takes a few to land his own and could potentially break down the brown bomber. Louis got dropped early in the fight against guys like Schmeling, Walcott, Galento. He also was susceptible to the right hand which is Marciano's specialty. Marciano's assault would be relentless from bell to bell and Louis's best hope of winning is by tko. I think Louis would drop Marciano as well early in the fight perhaps the two trade knock downs.

Louis could knock out guys who were supposed to be tough as nails like Galento who he literally lifted off his feet. Walcott said of the two that Marciano hit harder punch for punch.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            Marciano's style was tailor-made for Joe Louis.

He'd be game but would progressively get more and more busted up by the Bomber as the rounds went on.
            You couldn't be more wrong ,Louis self admits to having difficulties with pressure fighters and gave the edge to Marciano if at anytime they fought . Gallento was around the same height as Marciano ,was slower ,weaker and all around sloppy yet dropped Louis twice if you actually count the one the ref didnt and did so by mere pressure . If the rounds went on i would see Louis getting into rythm and possibly winning but he would not be favored to win despite being the better fighter ,at the end of the day Louis would have to survive a k.o early on which the younger Louis is more susceptible to ,because Marciano is not going to take it easy on him .Marciano bangs him up enough and finally lands the one to end it.

Both are slow starters ,Louis is faster but speed is nullified on the inside with shorter chipped shots .Louis did not have enough footwork backing up off the jab to keep Marciano off him ,both have struggled against opposition they shouldn't have .Both would have wins off each other if they fought enough times .Marciano was never knocked out ,Louis fought the harder punchers..........

"If i had one weakness throughout my career hidden ,its i dont like to be crowded .Marciano always crowded his opponents which is why i say i would never have beat him " J. Louis

Another factor here also is Charlie Goldman trained Godoy who clearly defeated Louis the first time , he would have always known how to deal with Louis thru Marciano who was superior to Godoy !

Marciano by 8th rnd K.O again ,but has to put 100% in every round to do so and breaks Prime Louis for the win.
            Last edited by juggernaut666; 07-26-2016, 03:15 PM.

Comment

The kind of fighter to give Joe Louis trouble would have been a swift moving one like Billy Conn. Muhammad Ali would probably have had a field day against him.

But trying to go punch for punch with the Bomber (as Marciano surely would do) is suicide. His combinations were too well oiled for a crude slugger like the Rock.

Comment

The kind of fighter to give Joe Louis trouble would have been a swift moving one like Billy Conn. Muhammad Ali would probably have had a field day against him.

But trying to go punch for punch with the Bomber (as Marciano surely would do) is suicide. His combinations were too well oiled for a crude slugger like the Rock.
                conn was at least 25 lbs lighter than Louis on fight night and really, really fast on his feet. conn was a lot smaller and quicker than ali, I do think Louis would struggle with ali's footwork but I think he'd find a way to get to him. in his prime in the mid 60's ali was almost knocked out by henry cooper, a natural lhw, so both these guys are in more danger from the smaller quicker man

Comment

Ali was 6'3 with an 80 inch reach who could actually move and box with snap on his punches.Any fighter with reach/footwork would give Louis a head ache....If you threw Mike Tyson in there the fight doesn't get out of round 3 if that,....if you put Ali in there he simply out boxes Louis maybe tko's him late rounds. Conn out boxed Louis because Louis was not prepared for the foot work which was seldom used in those days at HW with the constant moving.this isn't magic anymore fighters who weigh 170 move like that all the time.....A big ali fighter type would almost always defeat Louis.

Marciano is a competitive fight because Louis has the size advantage and speed.....he wouldn't have that with Ali, stylistically a pressure fighter who could punch would create a bigger problem for Louis,because then a less technical fight is at hand. Marciano hit harder and had the better chin so not sure where you see Louis winning a slug fest in a zone Marciano will create that Louis wont dictate distance..I gave you Louis's own quote so i'll leave it at that
                  Last edited by juggernaut666; 07-26-2016, 10:10 PM.

Comment

When Joe said what he did about Marciano I'm sure he was just being classy and humble and self deprecating. That's just the kind of man he was and I wouldn't look too much into it.

I stand by my opinion. Louis threw his punches too straight for Rocky, he'd get inside those looping shots. And his footwork was minimalist yet focused on getting him into position to deliver maximum leverage...the awkward lunges of Marciano would play right into that.

Comment

Originally posted by phallus View Post
                      conn was at least 25 lbs lighter than Louis on fight night and really, really fast on his feet. conn was a lot smaller and quicker than ali, I do think Louis would struggle with ali's footwork but I think he'd find a way to get to him. in his prime in the mid 60's ali was almost knocked out by henry cooper, a natural lhw, so both these guys are in more danger from the smaller quicker man
                      No he wasn't and Ali was not "prime" in the first Cooper fight. He was 21 years old and barely over 200 pounds.

Comment

Working...
                      X