No announcement yet.

2016 vs 2006

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 vs 2006

Heading into the new year, several potential match-ups loom ahead such as Golovkin-Canelo, Thurman-Porter, Garcia-Guerrero and Wilder-Povetkin to name a few.

A decade ago, Wladimir had just beaten Samuel Peter and was headed toward a rematch with Chris Byrd. Trinidad had just lost to Winky Wright. Hopkins had lost a pair of fights to Taylor who was the man at middleweight at the time. Kostya Tszyu's great run had been ended by Ricky Hatton. Pacman was gearing up for his rematch with Morales. De La Hoya hadn't fought since Hopkins and was looking at a fight with Mayorga.

I think the last ten years has not been the best for boxing. I can't say the sport was in great shape heading into 2006, but I think it was better than it is now. The network TV fights coming back has been decent, but there are more titles now along with too many divas getting their way and a lot more catch weight fights than back then. All of those fights took place at the actual weight class they were sold as.

Then if we go back to 1996, well, there were many more name heavyweights along with only three recognized champions per division(the WBO hadn't taken off yet) and there were quite a few network fights still around. We also had plenty of guys willing to fight one another and fewer divas. Barrera had fallen off with the Jones loss, but Morales was on his way up. Lots of potential stars were in the making like De La Hoya and Trinidad and Roy Jones and James Toney and Bernard Hopkins.

I don't think the end of the sport is near by a long shot, but it sure could use some help. Because if I go back to 1986, well, comparing that with today is too depressing.

Every fight nowadays needs to be built up and marinated. That's a sign that the sports fanbase is dying and they need to use extra amounts of effort to sell even B level fights.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
      Every fight nowadays needs to be built up and marinated. That's a sign that the sports fanbase is dying and they need to use extra amounts of effort to sell even B level fights.
      Definitely not a good sign of things to come.

Comment

Well 2006 didn't have many big PPVs did it?

Had some really good fighters, Floyd prime, Pacquiao close to prime, Marquez, Calzaghe, etc. But in 2015 a boxing ppv sold 4.5 million PPV, could anyone have imagined that happening in 2006?

Stepping into 2016 we have some huge marketable stars on the rise - Anthony Joshua, Felix Verdejo, Canelo (still young), just don't see any atg talent at prospect level right now besides Lomachenko (who's already a champ and getting on in age) and possibly Usyk.

Comment

2016 will never be able to top the highs of floyd-baldomir

Comment

Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
            Well 2006 didn't have many big PPVs did it?

Had some really good fighters, Floyd prime, Pacquiao close to prime, Marquez, Calzaghe, etc. But in 2015 a boxing ppv sold 4.5 million PPV, could anyone have imagined that happening in 2006?

Stepping into 2016 we have some huge marketable stars on the rise - Anthony Joshua, Felix Verdejo, Canelo (still young), just don't see any atg talent at prospect level right now besides Lomachenko (who's already a champ and getting on in age) and possibly Usyk.
            Oh the PPV numbers were unreal for the one fight. I just think that fight taints the sport for a few years now. Not even just for casuals.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
              2016 will never be able to top the highs of floyd-baldomir
              Haha. Truly epic. Could be one of the worst of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                Oh the PPV numbers were unreal for the one fight. I just think that fight taints the sport for a few years now. Not even just for casuals.
                Thats nuts. Cotto vs Canelo had the biggest PPV numbers of any fight in the last 16yrs that didn't have Floyd, Manny or Oscar involved. As much as I hate the concept of paying $60+ for boxing, PPV is fine & boxing is fine. Nothings tainted.

Floyd fought his most garbage opponent since Henry Brusles probably & did garbage PPV numbers. Manny is bout to be fighting a guy he's beaten twice fairly one sidedly on PPV that no one wants to see a third time so he's gonna do garbage numbers too. But he did garbage numbers pre-Floyd when he fought garbage opponents in Algieri & Rios. You suggesting he was tainted before the Floyd fight too? Its not as deep as you think it is. Boxing is trying to sell garbage fights & they are getting garbage numbers. Simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  Thats nuts. Cotto vs Canelo had the biggest PPV numbers of any fight in the last 16yrs that didn't have Floyd, Manny or Oscar involved. As much as I hate the concept of paying $60+ for boxing, PPV is fine & boxing is fine. Nothings tainted.

Floyd fought his most garbage opponent since Henry Brusles probably & did garbage PPV numbers. Manny is bout to be fighting a guy he's beaten twice fairly one sidedly on PPV that no one wants to see a third time so he's gonna do garbage numbers too. But he did garbage numbers pre-Floyd when he fought garbage opponents in Algieri & Rios. You suggesting he was tainted before the Floyd fight too? Its not as deep as you think it is. Boxing is trying to sell garbage fights & they are getting garbage numbers. Simple as that.
                  To be honest, panda boy, I don't really care what you think.

Comment

Working...
                  X