Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What surprised you most when you first started boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What surprised you most when you first started boxing?

For me it was the heavy bag. I gassed out after not even ten minutes.

What surprised me the most was sparring and how hard it was to measure distance and land accurate punches. Everything is fine and dandy going beast mode on the heavy bags and mitts, then you get into the ring with a decent opponent who can move and find out how hard it is to land solid punches, especially when they're throwing firepower back at you. Very discouraging at first.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
      What surprised me the most was sparring and how hard it was to measure distance and land accurate punches. Everything is fine and dandy going beast mode on the heavy bags and mitts, then you get into the ring with a decent opponent who can move and find out how hard it is to land solid punches, especially when they're throwing firepower back at you. Very discouraging at first.
      This x 100000000000

When I first started, the only thing I could land effectively were jabs. Everything else was so off balance and inaccurate when I started it was ridiculous lol

Comment

Originally posted by punchr View Post
        For me it was the heavy bag. I gassed out after not even ten minutes.
        Keeping my hand up for long periods of time.

Comment

how gay a mover is, jk, but that's how i used to think when i was yonger, it's easy to move, it's not so easy to catch the mover, esspecially when they are fast

and yes, like others have said the distance, i found myself reaching alot..

Comment

i freaking hate the fact that i keep flinching during sparring. i just hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
              This is spot on. When you manage to start being able to land punches well it's a nice feeling. Even more so with counter punches.

Comment

Thought I was the only one who kept missing when starting sparring

Comment

Originally posted by HedonisticFrog View Post
                  This is spot on. When you manage to start being able to land punches well it's a nice feeling. Even more so with counter punches.
                  counters are actually the only punches i could really land, even from my first time sparring, i was slick as hell with them counters, but have me lead on a mover and i'd be stumbling like a fool

Comment

Didn't realize that missing punches took more energy out of you than landing them!

Comment

Working...
                    X